Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

FATS88

One of the Regulars
DENTS

Hey everybody!

I picked up my FEDs last Friday,
unpacked them and set them up on the shape retainers to breath
for a couple of days.
This is my second shipment from Hats direct, two hats each
both times.
And I've noticed that the hat which traveled here with it's crown
inside the headband of the other hat; have a shallow dent which does not
smooth out even after a wearing or two.
The dent forms concave on the side(s) above the bow, or the opposite
side (bowless) on the outside of the hat.
IC, BOBC, have you had this happen to your multiple hat shipments?
If so did you use steam to remove them?
Or did they eventually work themselves out?

Fats

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fats, I haven't had any multiple hat shipments from either Hatsdirect or EA. I ordered all of my felts one at a time. I did order two straws from EA at the same time, but I haven't received either yet and they will be shipped separately because one was in stock and one had to be ordered for me (the dreaded 3 month wait). I hope you're able to straighten your hat out. I would most likely not be happy with your circumstances.

It seems that I have read here of someone having similar issues, but I don't remember who it was or where it was posted. I bet IC or some of these other folks can give you some advice as to how to cure that hat.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
FATS88 said:
And I've noticed that the hat which traveled here with it's crown
inside the headband of the other hat; have a shallow dent which does not
smooth out even after a wearing or two.
The dent forms concave on the side(s) above the bow, or the opposite
side (bowless) on the outside of the hat.

My hats were sent separately because of UK Customs, but nevertheless my second one did take a bit of a mail beating so had a small dent in its crown. I found that if I pressed it out dry, it would return to dented straight away. So after some trial, it seems that what works is to apply a small amount of steam (10 seconds worth) to the area, press up the concave dent from inside with your finger, and keep pressing while blowing on the outside to cool it back down and dry it. With a bit of luck you should find after about a minute you can remove your finger and the dent will stay gone.

N. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Fats this is just an indycop theory, but all my akubras have it when then come. I always ask for a good long oval stretch.I was thinking that since they probably don't make them long oval that they do that at the store which may cause them. Personally I like having them because when I put my crease in it gives that mushroom effect that some don't like but I love!

indycop said:
... I always ask for a good long oval stretch.I was thinking that since they probably don't make them long oval that they do that at the store which may cause them...
I asked Sam at EA about this after ordering 2 Campdrafts & he said he can order them Long Oval from Akubra but if it wasn't specified at that time, they can put a LO stretch to them before shipping them on to buyer...

FATS88

One of the Regulars
THANKS

Thanks Nick5, and IC.
I'll try your steam test Nick, and let you know what happens.
It makes sense to steam, it's just that I wondered if anyone
had these dents just come out without it.
IC, Thank you as well.
I'm long oval also, and your theory has our dents as the
hard evidencelol
Yeah, 'stretch marks' is a better discription of what's in my hats.
Also, the hats in this second batch are stiffer, which I prefer.

Fats

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Skyvue, I didn't know either when I ordered in Nov & Dec but luckily did ask before they are shipping from EA. Sam is very helpful.

I've yet to order a long oval hat (I think I'm extra-long oval, actually), so I'm not sure I'd know what size to order. My Akubra Sydney is a 62 and has come to fit me pretty well (the tiniest bit snug, but not uncomfortably so), and the two Stylemasters that are winging their way to me even now are 63s.

Not sure what I'd order if they were going to make them in long-oval form.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
New Lightning Ridge

Well, I ordered a Lightning Ridge from Noggintops last week and it arrived today. It's a size 62 and fits perfectly (I'm between a 61 and 62). The felt is clearly of a higher quality than the Kiandra's -- denser and stiffer -- and the sweat band is more comfortable. The brim is listed as being three inches, but it looks more like 2 7/8". Dave Brown the Hatter, who is only three miles from me, is giving it a western-ish upcurl. I'm also putting a twisted rawhide band on it. :) Not sure what the final product will look like, or even if it will make visual sense, but I'm hopeful it will turn out okay.

skyvue said:
I've yet to order a long oval hat (I think I'm extra-long oval, actually), so I'm not sure I'd know what size to order. My Akubra Sydney is a 62 and has come to fit me pretty well (the tiniest bit snug, but not uncomfortably so), and the two Stylemasters that are winging their way to me even now are 63s.

Not sure what I'd order if they were going to make them in long-oval form.
I'm technically a 7 1/2 Xtra Long Oval, have vintage 7 5/8 Long Oval as well as 7 1/2 Long Oval & 7 5/8 Regular. I also have Akubras in 62, 61, & 60. I have a Hat Jack & 2 vintage stretchers. Adjusting hats to my head is a common deal. I ordered a Campdraft from EA that will be 61 Long Oval. I'll let the Lounge know how it fits out of the box.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I got my Federation at last. I started a thread about it here, but I figured I'd post a few pictures in this thread as well.

3311422991_9a85ed111d.jpg

3311423041_08b151e637.jpg

I have a lot more work to do to get it where I want it, but I'm not in any hurry. My other thread has more in the way of photos and explanation of bash and so forth.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Just got email from EA that my Silverbelly Campdraft is shipped :eusa_clap Ordered it in the 16th and is now shipped, not quite three months.

When Glen grey Camps arrive, could someone post picture it with silverbelly? it is easier to compare color if I knew real color of te other hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183