Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Who?

Practically Family
Its the Akubra Kiandra, It's probably my most western looking felt that I have and today I could see that it gets a lot of looks that may be because no one wears a cowboy hat around here or maybe people just think it looks that good that they can't help but stare. View attachment 563897
That’s pretty much what happens when I wear my Territory in Connecticut.

I do get compliments though.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I recently discovered the thin ribbons thread. People stack and photo all of their thin ribbon hats. I don’t have enough thin ribbons to really contribute there, but I do have a few Akubras and thought it may be fun to start the same tradition on this thread.
Here‘s my collection.
IMG_2154.jpeg

Top to bottom: Cattleman, ‘80s Snowy River, ‘60s Pocket weight Stylemaster, modern Stylemaster, Federation IV, Campdraft.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Sad news - the Keir family has sold Akubra. At least it will stay for now with an Aussie owner, but as a long-time Akubra wearer this is sad news.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/hats-off-to-the-forrests-as-they-snap-up-akubra-c-12603483.amp
I know you posted this in Nov, but I'm just seeing it now. I think this is terrible news because it is very rare for a company to buy a storied brand and not destroy it. It's a shame because Akubra are the best value for a modern felt hat that is not bespoke (even their faux-straw hats are great). Especially for those of us with larger noggins. I'm sure happy I already have a small collection.

Yancy.41

New in Town
Where is the best place to purchase an Akubra in US?

What does 7 5/8ths best translate to in Akubra?

Last edited:
Here is an Akubra made for R M Williams. I completely re-flanged the brim and re-creased the crown.
This picture is closest to the true color on my monitor. I like the color a lot. It essentially gave me a fourth color Campdraft as the dimensions are almost identical. (The R M crown seems a little taller, though I did not measure it)
1705010258288.png
1705010306666.png
1705010344887.png

Last edited:
Here is a first generation "Federation" in a very Dark Grey (Carbon Grey ? Much, much darker than it photographs, almost a black). I must say the red liner in it is awesome.....
1705010788048.png
1705010805059.png
1705010830820.png

And here is another Federation (this one a Fed IV) in a grey color, not near as dark and has obvious blue tones.
1705010964715.png
1705010978977.png

I like the Federation, I have also one in the dark brown, and in moonstone.

I have all of a sudden (well over the last few years, faster than I thought) accumulated several Akubra's (more than I thought) and have become quite the fan.;)

Last edited:

Dammit Jim. :)

BGGCD ordered. “WELCOME10EA” promo code helped a little. Although it appeared to discount about 5% and that was offset by PayPal’s conversion rate.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner