Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

tnitz

New in Town
Slouch...

Wow, very different from what I received. Mine is an olive brown, more brown than olive, and came with the common hooked puggaree. It had no liner and came with no crease. It has a fabric label in the crown. The brim hook system is the same and the dimensions look the same. Mine did not have the wind strap, but I think there are internal hooks for one.

The puggaree you got is nice, I had to buy one like it seperately.

I don't know what yours is considered, but it looks like a civilian version of the military slouch. The colors are all coordinated and I kinda like it. If you were looking for a milspec version, I've never seen an original one like that, but am no expert.

I bought mine maybe 6 years ago? I don't recall who I ordered it from, but the puggaree came from Lawrence Ordinance (?) in Oz.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
Haven't seen a new PB in the Raiders specs at all yet. Do you have a new PB Raiders or one of the old supertall versions?

I actually have no idea... I got this 2nd hand.

It's has a more reddish tint to it than most Indy hats. And the sheen on the ribbon reflects a more purplish-red tint than dark brown/black.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"Its not on the Akubra Website, is it exclusive to strandHatters?"

IMGP0379-150x150.jpg

http://strandhatters.com.au/news/?p=64

[YOUTUBE]e8ZWy3HfT7w[/YOUTUBE]

Yes they told me recently it is Binks...and selling well by all accounts...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
After much research and perusing this thread with it's wealth of information,(but time constrained so unable to wade through it all) I am seriously considering getting myself a nice Akubra.
I am thinking maybe the Campdraft, Banjo Paterson, Bushman, or....?
What I'm looking for specifically is something along the lines of the Stetson Open Road, with a narrow ribbon or leather band and with a snap brim that can be shaped as I wish. 4 inch crown or somewhat taller, and a brim around the 3 inch range.
Any suggestions from those with experience?
Thanks mates.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:

What I'm looking for specifically is something along the lines of the Stetson Open Road, with a narrow ribbon or leather band and with a snap brim that can be shaped as I wish. 4 inch crown or somewhat taller, and a brim around the 3 inch range.
Any suggestions from those with experience?
Thanks mates.

Yes, definitely the Campdraft. The Campdraft is probably about as close to a vintage Open Road that you can get in a modern production hat. IMO

IMG_3462-1-1-2.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
James71 said:
Does anyone know if the campdraft is still available in grey? If so I will wander into Katoomba tomorrow and check one out.

How lucky you are Sir to live in Katoomba. Even if there are no greys (which I doubt) they have a great cafe I`ve heard...pic please!

tnitz

New in Town
Glen Grey

At least in size 60 they had it in stock 2 weeks ago when I asked and when I later said I was going to wait until fall, they didn't suggest there would be any problem then.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
awesomealex.jpg

This is about the only good picture ever taken of me (I don't seem to be photogenic, despite my dashing good looks;)). Me in my first hat (only have had it for 3.5 weeks), the Akubra Federation Iv in Dark Brown...hours before a huge rainstorm that inspired my new thread "How Much Rain can an Akubra take?"

Several days after that storm, the hat finally allowed my to put a bash in it. It has developed some slight taper, but I only notice because I've become used to the straight sided look...I actually think it looks a little better now.

Soon to be purchasing either a Campdraft or a Fedora/Sydney, alongside a Capricorn.:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

tnitz

New in Town
Liner needed...

I hope I'm not breaking protocol here - but thought I'd ask:

I need an Akubra liner for a military slouch I've converted. I'd prefer the gold one, but will take anything. Anyone got a spare?

James71

A-List Customer
daizawaguy said:
How lucky you are Sir to live in Katoomba. Even if there are no greys (which I doubt) they have a great cafe I`ve heard...pic please!

I agree. Im lucky to live here. Though this morning its down around freezing. Clear blue skies and a cold cold westerly wind.....

The cafe is excellent and the staff, particularly the girls in the hat side of the shop are wonderful. Im always made very welcome.

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
New Akubra Owner

Hello! First let me say that you all continue to be my virtual encyclopedia for all things from fedoras to coats. Thank you! Second, after much reading on this site, I am a proud owner of two Federation IV Deluxe fedoras. My first was the Dark Brown, which was so fantastic that I had to order another. I stewed over which one to order as my second. It is a Heritage Fawn which I just received today. I love this one just as much as my first Federation IV. It seems noticeably more stiff than the first but has creased nicely to the same teardrop crease as my first. Just wanted to say thanks for all the second - million hand advice that I have received here. Cheers!

Neophyte

I wish I had the kind of income to justify buying a bunch of hats......in fact, I wish I had an income at all (19 yr old college student at home for the summer) [huh] . Good choice for your first [and second] hats...any pics?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
I wish I had the kind of income to justify buying a bunch of hats......in fact, I wish I had an income at all (19 yr old college student at home for the summer) [huh] . Good choice for your first [two] hats...any pics?

Here in Holland we don't have thrift-stores and goodwill-stores etc.. makes it harder to find a hat for small change, especially when having a large melon like I have.. Several forummembers scored the nicest felt for next to nothing. Also, keep an eye out on the e-bay, you might get lucky.. Even without income, you should be able to find a nice next hat. Good luck!

Neophyte

About a week after that big rainstorm that ruined my Federation IV's shape, as well as giving it a bit of taper, I've managed to salvage it. I think it looks better now...

Side Shot
AfterRainSideShot.jpg

and the Sexy Angle shot

AfterRainUpShot.jpg

I'm going to be ordering a Grey Capricorn (a cheaper way of deciding whether I like taper or not) and a Campdraft, though I'm not sure in what color. The "Taupe Fawn" color, on HatsDirect pics, looks somewhat pinkish, while on some pics on the forum here, it looks like tan with greyish hue. If it's true color (i.e. "under the sun") is like the greyish tan/ tannish grey (real words?), than I'll pull the trigger. Right now, though, I'm loving the Fed IV.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
tnitz said:
I hope I'm not breaking protocol here - but thought I'd ask:

I need an Akubra liner for a military slouch I've converted. I'd prefer the gold one, but will take anything. Anyone got a spare?

You could've had my Federation liner.. but I've thrown it away.. sorry..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff