Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
I like what you've done to the crown. Nice looking hat! :eusa_clap It's interesting how much straighter the sides are on this III vs. the IV's you typically see.

Thanks for sharing with us, and welcome to the Akubra owners family. [now leave your wallet at the door, whenever you want a hat, the valet will remove the appropriate funds... it's less painful and easier that way] ;)

Randy

Thanks! And of course, I'm already contemplating my next purchase ...

xwray

Familiar Face
theinterchange said:
I hear you.

I'm interested in the Overlander, but worry about looking like Little Joe from Bonanza

joe028.jpg

or Chester from Gunsmoke

Chester.jpg

in the hat. lol

The LR may just be what you're looking for, then.

Randy

I'm far from being the best one to model any hat but if you want to see an overlander on my head see post:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48253

theinterchange

One Too Many
Jim2903 said:
Thanks! And of course, I'm already contemplating my next purchase ...

It's a perpetual state of being.

xwray said:
I'm far from being the best one to model any hat but if you want to see an overlander on my head see post:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48253

Interesting that you link to that... I commented in the thread! :eusa_doh: Still looks great. While I personally couldn't fit that hat into my out and about town wardrobe too much, I can easily see myself wearing one for outdoor pursuits.

Randy

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Akubra dealers

Anyone have experience purchasing from Australian Gear.com or Hats by the Hundred? I'm contemplating a Stylemaster as my next purchase and these two dealers seem to have the best prices currently. Alas, neither appears to stock the Campdraft, which I'm also eyeing for more casual wear.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jim2903 said:
Anyone have experience purchasing from Australian Gear.com or Hats by the Hundred? I'm contemplating a Stylemaster as my next purchase and these two dealers seem to have the best prices currently. Alas, neither appears to stock the Campdraft, which I'm also eyeing for more casual wear.

I'll bump this, because I'm interested in some answers as well.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Jim2903 said:

I've read several accounts on here of very negative experiences with Hats by the Hundred... LONG waits, products not as ordered/advertised. Australian Gear, I've never heard of. I'll have to go give them a look.

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't own either color, but in my opinion, if you have one or two darker tan or brown hats already, then sand would be fine. Sand to me, seems versatile. I would consider wearing Akubra's sand or silverbelly colors with some of my wardrobe quite often (tan and khaki clothing, but even with blue jeans or blue shirts). If you have a lot of earth tone colors in your wardrobe, then I don't think you can go wrong with an addition of sand or silverbelly. It's also a great color to sport during the summer, due to it being light.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Quick questions to Akubra owners out there:

Which Akubra color would you consider more versatile: Sand or Heritage Fawn?

My Tawny Fawn* is very versatile, but I think sand could be, too. From what I've seen I think either would go quite well with your usual wardrobe.

Just my tuppence worth of advice. ;)

Randy

*Though, there is a slight color difference between Heritage Fawn and the Imperial grade Tawny.

Neophyte

The Heritage Fawn is light as well. They are both beautiful colors, and they are both very, very versatile. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I care that much about the Sand getting dirty...

EDIT: You know what, I don't. What's the point of the Outback style if you're going to keep it in pristine condition?

Thanks guys for your posts. I hope to be one of the first to bring detailed information and photos of this hat to the Lounge. Bebop has one, and so does Schwert, but the ONLY picture of this hat I've seen in all my searching is the one photo of Schwert's...

Neophyte

Clean hats be damned!

The trigger has been pulled. A size 59 Akubra Lightning Ridge in Sand should be headed my way this coming week (which is great, as Fall Break is next week so I can pick the hat up at home :D)!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Clean hats be damned!

The trigger has been pulled. A size 59 Akubra Lightning Ridge in Sand should be headed my way this coming week (which is great, as Fall Break is next week so I can pick the hat up at home :D)!

That's the spirit! :eusa_clap Can't wait to see pics!

Randy

Bebop

Practically Family
I have a Lightening Ridge and it's my go to hat when the rain hits. Very soft and easy to wear. I did cut the brim down to make it more balanced with the relatively short crown. You will like it.

Neophyte

Bebop said:
I have a Lightening Ridge and it's my go to hat when the rain hits. Very soft and easy to wear. I did cut the brim down to make it more balanced with the relatively short crown. You will like it.

I hope so. While searching through the Lounge I encountered multiple posts by you about the hat. It's mostly what solidified my choice, besides the fact that it seems to have less taper when compared to the Banjo Paterson (not to mention the inlaid opal stone). Thanks very much for the input!

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Forgive the multiple cross-posting, but I absolutely love this new Akubra Lawson of mine. I think it's going to be a favorite of mine for some time to come. For those that are searching this thread for Akubra model, sizing, and color information (there's some debates and discrepancies) I was able to discuss some of those things in detail in a thread of mine as I researched, purchased, and then received the hat:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50698

Hoping that might help someone else doing research.

AkubraClose.jpg

AkubraFull.jpg

AkubraSide.jpg

AkubraBand.jpg

AkubraInside.jpg

AkubraGiftBox.jpg

Neophyte

It looks great, Wild Blue, and you seem very happy with it, if your pics are anything to go by. It suits you just fine.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on Akubra's Heritage line, as I just bought my first Heritage felt. It should be here in a week or so.

Good luck with the hat, and enjoy it!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats