Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

kyda

One of the Regulars
Home of the Akubra

Sorry to interrupt gents, I can't believe that you are wearing an Akubra as a dress hat. It just blows my mind (as a Aussie) that a hat that is worn by farmers, Jack-a-roo's and Jill-a-roo's has made it to the dress circle, I am glad that you like them oh handy hint if they do not totally fit if you put a bit of material around the inside of the band that will help.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kyda said:
Sorry to interrupt gents, I can't believe that you are wearing an Akubra as a dress hat. It just blows my mind (as a Aussie) that a hat that is worn by farmers, Jack-a-roo's and Jill-a-roo's has made it to the dress circle, I am glad that you like them oh handy hint if they do not totally fit if you put a bit of material around the inside of the band that will help.

My Fed IV deluxe Brown and the Fed IV Deluxe Moonstone I ordered are everyday kick around, work in the field, chop trees and chase my 2 year old around hats.

Hate the rain don't use an umbrella so my feds will step in. Its my Borsolino Como that I perform in and my Borsolino Diamante that I dress in.

My Cowboy hats can't take the punishment my fed were bought for. :eek:

deanzat

One of the Regulars
kyda said:
Rhabryn, I am sorry to say a woman and yes I have seen the hats that you are talking about. :) :)

Well, there's dress and there's dress. On Christmas morning I had to chase a coyote out of the yard (it had a chicken in its mouth!), and I ran out of the house wearing my brand new FedIV and very little else.

Saved the chicken. Shocked the neighbors.

And you are very welcome here! Z

Swagman

New in Town
kyda said:
If this thread is for men only, I am sorry for invading your space

I don't think anyone is going to claim that.

A quality hat is just that no matter where you wear it. I have to say that I have for years admired Akubras, but never purchased one. Being a Yank and a frequent traveller to Oz, I didn't want to look a little too much like a tourist even if it is more necessity than fashion in the Kimberley. I stuck with ball caps and ended up with red ears. Coming home I didn't want to look like Kangaroo Jack since many know of my love of things down under.

Of course there are many styles of Akubra. I'm comfortable working in the yard with a "cattleman" or going to the store in the "stylemaster" but really can't see people showing up for the Mt. Isa races in stingy brim Whippets even if it is an Akubra.;)

kyda

One of the Regulars

Just as long as the chicken is fine!!!, good luck with further purchases of Akubra's. Thank you for letting me drop in, I am now going to go and roast my chicken ready for dinner tonight ....... gravy or white sauce hmmmm!!!!!!

kyda

One of the Regulars

Well I am in the west so I have not heard or been to the Mt Isa races, but I imagine that it is a desert track with bush jockeys?????? You could probably get away with wearing them at the Melbourn Cup with the right suit, or any of the country town races with jeans. And you would not out of place wearing them in Australia, they are a great hat for keeping the sun at bay:) :) :)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
kyda said:
Sorry to interrupt gents, I can't believe that you are wearing an Akubra as a dress hat.
I'm not sure if they are actually worn as dress hats by many around here, and I use my Federation Dlx IV mostly as my "casual attire" hat. However, I must admit that I recently purchased a black Federation IV for my father-in-law, who will likely be using it as a dress hat... :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
kyda said:

Well, Akubras are like Stetsons. Some are for dress and some are for cowboys and farmers. I can't imagine some wearing a Sydney to work in the fields. It wouldn't be practical.

And Akubras are better made than modern Stetsons and are more reasonably priced.

Finally, of course ladies are allowed. We could use a feminine opinion around here. Do you think all Akubras are farmers hats?

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I just received an e-mail from Sam from Everything Australian telling me my Akubra Stylemaster is finally on it's way :eusa_clap . I placed my order on October 4th.

pj

rrog

A-List Customer
kyda said:
Sorry to interrupt gents, I can't believe that you are wearing an Akubra as a dress hat. It just blows my mind (as a Aussie) that a hat that is worn by farmers, Jack-a-roo's and Jill-a-roo's has made it to the dress circle,

First of all, welcome to the lounge. There are other ladies who post here, so don't be shy. Next, I guess it's all a matter of context and perspective. My usual daily dress ranges from dress (suit and tie) to casual dress (jeans, sportscoat, button down shirt and a hat). Both of my Akubras look just as good as the three Stetsons I own and wear, so why not wear them? If I were an Australian, I'd be proud that so many people around the world appreciate the quality of Akubra hats.

Now consider Panama hats and other straw-type hats. Who would have thought 150 years ago that a functional work hat that the local villagers in Central/South American wore would become so popular today? (Let me say here that I'm not trying to give an accurate history of the Panama hat - I'm just drawing parallels) But at some point in time, somebody from up here went down there and saw those functional hats, got one and brought it home with him. And they're pretty popular here now.

I know someone who works for a poverty relief ministry that uses old, donated clothing to give to those in need. The clothes that are rejected by those people in need are then sold to a company that exports them to Russia and sells them there (especially the denim jeans). Imagine somebody actually paying money for clothing that even our homeless people won't wear! I guess it's that "Americana" image that makes those jeans appealing. So with respect to the Akubra, maybe there's a little bit of that Australian mystique that's part of the equation. So again, I'd say it's all in the context and perspective.

rrog

kyda

One of the Regulars
Akubra's taking over the world!!!!

Ok I will start from the begining, I am sure that Akubra's can be worn as dress hat's and I am sure that look stunning. The Akubra is soo ingrained to the Aussie immagination through bush poetry,authors ( Banjo Patterson, Henry Lawson) and TV as a hat that is worn by a farmer, a drover riding his horse with cattle to get to the next water hole before they have to be sold. The Australian Army even wears a version of the Akubra, the Slouch Hat which is pinned up at one side with a badge of the rising sun.

You don't see many men wearing them in the street as dress hats, I remember my Mum wearing one with her dry-as-a-bone in winter and wearing it in summer - come to think of it she wore her Akubra all year round, my uncle wore his all year round and he even wore it to town but is was beaten, and a bit scruffy since it had been worn while he worn it around the farm.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that's part of the beauty and appeal of Akubras. They are everyman's hat, usually not fancy hats, kind of like Australia's Stetson.

carter

I'll Lock Up
kyda said:
Ok I will start from the begining, I am sure that Akubra's can be worn as dress hat's and I am sure that look stunning. The Akubra is soo ingrained to the Aussie immagination through bush poetry,authors ( Banjo Patterson, Henry Lawson) and TV as a hat that is worn by a farmer, a drover riding his horse with cattle to get to the next water hole before they have to be sold. The Australian Army even wears a version of the Akubra, the Slouch Hat which is pinned up at one side with a badge of the rising sun.

You don't see many men wearing them in the street as dress hats, I remember my Mum wearing one with her dry-as-a-bone in winter and wearing it in summer - come to think of it she wore her Akubra all year round, my uncle wore his all year round and he even wore it to town but is was beaten, and a bit scruffy since it had been worn while he worn it around the farm.

Akubra is to Australia what Stetson is to the USA. They're both ingrained in the fabric of their respective nations. Each a company founded and homegrown on native soil and long a part of the national image and imagination. What image is more uniquely Australian than the drover or more uniquely of the USA than the cowboy? And their hats are a part of that image.

There are utilitarian styles that have been in existence for decades (or longer) and there are styles that are more often seen as business and/or formal accessories. Sometimes those utilitarian styles capture the popular imagination and become more widespread in their usage.
There are examples of the Montana Peak and the Oreanna, two blocks most often seen in military and/or western usage, being advertised as civilian headwear in the early decades of the 20th Century in the US. Which is all to say that cross fertlization is not uncommon.

That both styles and manufacturers of those styles transcend national boundaries is no surprise. Borsalino and Stetson are jsut two that come to mind. It's been going on for a long, long time.

Somehow it's fitting that a style introduced in Australia as the Stetson Open Road has been reintroduced and embraced in the US as the Akubra Campdraft. And...Akubra now makes a better version of the hat than the one currently made by their original business partner. At least that's what many believe. It's all come full circle.

Kyda, It would be fascinating to see pictures of your mother and uncle in their Akubras. Do you have any that you'd care to share with us?

kyda

One of the Regulars
The Colt from old regret, was worth a thousand pounds- Banjo Patterson

I don't have any photo's which is sad, I did not own my first camera until I had moved out of home and then I moved into the city. To get home was a 2.5 hour drive and to get to my Grandparents farm was a 5.5 hour drive!!!!! The one thing I really remember is the feel of the Akubra and the smell when they get wet, I can't really describe the smell but is comforting.

I think that I read somewhere that Akubra's were made out of rabbit hide is that correct or am I thinking of another hat????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou