Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra recommendation

garenb

New in Town
Not sure if I should have posted this in the Akubra Overload thread.

I'm trying to decide on an Akubra for xmas. Being fairly new to the hat scene, I'm still unsure as to what looks best with my face shape. Here are some photos of me in a couple different hats. I'm not sure if I can pull off a brim larger than 2.5". Any thoughts?

Thanks

75595_454173863263_525898263_5549108_2777124_n.jpg

0922100823-01.jpg

0922100825-00.jpg

Actually, Garen, I think you look better with a larger brim. My first preference is #2, then #1, in terms of size and crown. When I started wearing hats again after about a 6-7 year hiatus,
I moved down to smaller crown and brim hats. Within a year or two, those started to look too stingy on me and I have increased both brim size and crown height, as well as less taper.

Sometimes the hats just have to "grow" on you, if you know what I mean.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I think a Stylemaster would suit you well. Plenty of noggin shots over on the overload thread so you can check them out. I recently got a carbon gray Stylemaster and really like it; nice change of pace from my two Feds. Welcome to the Akubra brotherhood!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure if I should have posted this in the Akubra Overload thread.

I'm trying to decide on an Akubra for xmas. Being fairly new to the hat scene, I'm still unsure as to what looks best with my face shape. Here are some photos of me in a couple different hats. I'm not sure if I can pull off a brim larger than 2.5". Any thoughts?

Thanks

To me, your #2 shot is best one hands down. Yes, you could probably look good in a somewhat larger brim size. Stingies to me convey a kind of hipster look, which is good if you want that. Just remember that larger brim sizes will give you a different look, necessitating another personality. It's like my college French teacher told me about speaking another language, and making constructions different than your first language: "Il faut avoir deux personalites." In English, "you have to have two personalities." So try out a wider brim but be a different person under it.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
The wide-brimmed ones definitely suit your features better, no doubt about it. Stylemaster is an old favourite on these forums, but so is Federation IV. The latter, however, has no taper at all, looks "big" and may thus intimidate some modern hat-wearers.

garenb

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies. Do you think my face would work better with taper or no taper? I sometimes feel the taper in #2 is a little too much.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
An Akubra would be a GOOD choice for a quality "new" hat. As to WHICH one depends on a few things MORE than just what shape your head is. First, are looking for JUST a traditional Fedora shaped hat? second, do you want a pre-creased hat or do YOU want to crease it yourself? ( not hard really and VERY satisfying as many will attest to here) . From what you have shown and told us my recomendations would be either a Stylemaster ( different colors from different suppliers, none carry ALL the colors available.) for a traditional Fedora with a Pre-creased crown ( and 2.5" brim) or a Sydney which has a raw edge brim and is an open crowned hat ( you crease it) which is again available inseveral colors from several retailers) . As for a brim wider than 2.5" you might find that with the right crease in the crown, a brim that size would work. Akubra's Squatter model comes to mind for a 3" brim that works well with a traditional Fedora style crease. These are just my HO and others will have more. Take your time, research your suppliers carefully and I'm sure you will do just fine. :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all the replies. Do you think my face would work better with taper or no taper? I sometimes feel the taper in #2 is a little too much.

Like with other clothes, there's something shocking about every new style you put on. If you wore a no-taper hat, you might be surprised at how stovepipe-like it looks. Then you have to go with the better one, or lesser of two evils. Trial and error, I always say!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Unless a hat is blocked with a super square crown, MOST hats will aquire some taper when creased with a traditional center dent/ front pinched crown. I don't think it looks all that bad on you .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart