Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra size question

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hi all,
I bumped into an auction for an Akubra Aussie style that I like, but I'm hesitant about the size. The description says it "has a tag inside that reads 59 Akubra." My conclusion would be that it's a size 59cm, which translates to my head size according to conversion charts I've seen. However, the description also claims that the inside of the crown measures 22" which sounds too small for a size 59, which should be 23 and change. So, does that mean the conversion charts are wrong, or that the crown measurement is off? Or maybe that "59 Akubra" tag isn't the size? Please help! I really like this hat!

nicolasb

Familiar Face
I'm guessing that the 22" figure was derived by the seller measuring round the inside of the hat with a tape measure. I've found that this is actually extremely difficult to do accurately: hold the tape with one finger, move the other one round the circumference a little, and the tape doesn't stay pressed against the hat, it springs away to form a straight line between the fingers, so you end up measuring round the outside of a many sided polygon rather than the true oval.

Anyway, the point is, I would guess that it is a size 59 hat, and that the seller-measured figure is a bit inaccurate.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Akubra hat size

I own about 10 Akubras in as many styles. The one constant with my Akubras is that every one of them was slightly oversized when new. I have always had to shim the hat with foam until it was worn for a while.

Water, sun and time all contribute to the shrinkage and so I use a hat stretcher to keep them from shrinking too much. All in all, the Akubras are great hats for the money and will serve you well!

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys

I'll let you know if I win the hat. Win or lose, I'm settled on getting at least one Akubra. It sounds like they're the one's to trust for ugly weather. Not that I'll stop looking for a nice vintage fedora! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran