Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stockman

Correus

Familiar Face
What do all y'all think about the Akubra Stockman?

I have a small head (54cm - 6 3/4) and it can be incredibly hard to find "off the shelf" hats that fit - typically I can't.

Other than a Fedora that's 30 years old I don't have a hat that could be considered a "classic safari" hat. However, I've recently found an Akubra Stockman in my size that's 80% +/- off.

Would an Akubra Stockman be considered a "classic safari" style hat?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's not especially safari-esque, I think other Akubras are better shaped for that look. (Shouldn't a safari hat be more of a humped-crown center dent with side dents than a flat-crown teardrop with front dents?) The Stockman is more like a fedora-esque outback hat.

That said, I've got a Stockman I've been wearing as my cold weather hiking and snow shoveling hat for over a decade. Apart from some wear in the lining, it's held up great. And the 2-3/4" brim doesn't read as a big hat. (I've also got a Cattleman with a 3-1/4" brim I wear in warm weather that DOES read as a big hat.)

stockmn2.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It's not especially safari-esque, I think other Akubras are better shaped for that look. (Shouldn't a safari hat be more of a humped-crown center dent with side dents than a flat-crown teardrop with front dents?) The Stockman is more like a fedora-esque outback hat.

That said, I've got a Stockman I've been wearing as my cold weather hiking and snow shoveling hat for over a decade. Apart from some wear in the lining, it's held up great. And the 2-3/4" brim doesn't read as a big hat. (I've also got a Cattleman with a 3-1/4" brim I wear in warm weather that DOES read as a big hat.)

View attachment 109069
I've always thought the Stockman was one of Akubra's best hat styles -- much like the moderate brim hats Fifties and Sixties actors wore in the old Western films and TV series.

Correus

Familiar Face
Shouldn't a safari hat be more of a humped-crown center dent with side dents than a flat-crown teardrop with front dents?

Sorry, I'm new to "hat jargon" so please bear with me.

Are you meaning the style you see in the Akubra slouch hat made popular with the Austrailian military?

Do you have a picture of the type of hat your talking about?

I have been looking at the various Akubra hats as well as the classic Borsalino safari hat and I'd rather not pay the prices most of those are selling for. I'm not cheap, but I have a hard time spending that type of money on a hat that will get worn while working outside, hunting and such. It will get soiled and ratty.

Correus

Familiar Face
I'm trying to find something along the lines of the hat worn by Val Kilmer's "The Ghost and the Darkness". Perhaps even the one worn by Patrick Swayze in "King Solomon's Mines" or the one Robert Redford wore in "Out of Africa".

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Benz - I agree that the Stockman is similar to the those short-brimmed western hats of the sixties! I love mine, just wore it a couple of days ago.

Okay Correus, all of those are definitely taller and wider than the Stockman. You want a proper safari hat. Some other Akubras that might work - maybe even better if you change the outer band to something a bit more safari-esque:

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/coolabah-hat.html

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/colly-hat.html

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/territory-hat.html

And because I can't resist... this is me 40 years ago! (I did an oral report on hats in eighth grade that included a bunch of shots my dad took of me in my hat collection to show different types... and get some easy laughs.)

HATREP6.JPG

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Any Akubra hat will be very well built and, honestly, a good value for the cost.
I have never seen their slouch hat in person, but I'm sure it's a good hat; the half-dozen Akubras I have owned were all great.
Some other folks here do have them and will hopefully report.
But yeah, it would be a good model to use as a safari style.

Correus

Familiar Face
I have found a 50+ year old Akubra slouch in mint condition, complete with the 7 pleated puggaree, that is in my size. If SWMBO gives a nod in its favor I'll buy it tonight. I'll just wear it un-pinned like the do in the field.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that Akubra hats are even made in my size. May companies do not make hats this small and mist retailers don't carry the size if it is made.

When I was in the Army it took them a week to get me a fatigue cap (I had to wear my ROTC one till they did) and two weeks to get me a helmet that would fit.

RAAF

New in Town
The Stockman is a great hat. I prefer a smaller brim so the slouch wasn't an option for me. I didn't care for the stock bash so changed mine to a center crease (slouch/fedora look). Took about 15 minutes

I read other posts about issues with the stiffness and trying to remove the stiffening agent. IMO, there's no need. Any changes can be made using steam.

I use a pot big enough for the crown to fit in. Add an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Set hat upside down into pot (brim suspends it above water). Allow it to steam for 10-15 seconds. Remove and reshape. Repeat as needed. Hold the brim over the steam, if you want to rework it, too

Correus

Familiar Face
First off - I wanted this slouch as a hat to be worn and used while working outside and for various outdoor excursions - not as a "stepping out" hat. I've read that these hats only develop their true character through use and they were designed for rough ware. So the intent has always been to use it. My best mate is horrified I'm doing this since it's in such pristine condition. Another reason I like this one is that it's as old as I am.

That being said... A week ago last Thursday I wore my Akubra slouch for the first time and it was while doing yard work. It was an unusually warm day with the temp pushing 80° (we already came close to 90° two weeks ago - it's going to be a hot summer).

While raking I noticed the hat wasn't sitting, or feeling, as comfortably as before. After a bit I went inside for some water and took it off. When I went t put it back on I noticed that the sweatband had pulled away from the hat in one spot. It was about 3" long and I couldn't tell if the leather had torn at the stitching or if the thread had failed.

I went ahead and put it back on and went back to work. After less than an hour I was sweating and it was running down my forehead. When I wiped the sweat off it was brown! At this point I knew something was definitely wrong. I've owned and worn vintage and antique hats and helmets before that have leather sweatbands and haven't had this happen. So the slouch came off and was set aside till later.

After about two hours I took a look at it; the sweatband had shrunk dramatically and was crinkling up like a wavy potatoe chip!!

I was crushed and thought I had ruined this beautiful slouch.

The next morning I made a special trip into the city just to take the slouch to Hatman Jack's to see if he could help.

I told the hatter what had happened and that I'd never had the problem before. She told me that what had happened was actually quite common. The fact that the leather was over 50 years old, probably never treated/conditioned properly and never really worn before made it worse. She said the only way to fix it was by replacing the sweatband. So I left the slouch in their capable hands.

This past Friday the slouch was ready. It now has a nice, new leather band and fits decently. It's just a hair to big, but as she and others have pointed out that new leather sweatbands WILL shrink with use.

The ONLY other issue is the center crease - it is really deep and wants to keep pushing the hat higher onto my head. The hatter said they could fix that but suggested I just wear it and let nature take care of it.

They did take care of one other issue for me though. The previous owner of the slouch had kept the brim pinned up for display. In the field they are typically left unpinned. Since this one had been pinned for so long it was retaining s slight upward bend on that side and the back. After a week of sitting on a headform the brim had relaxed enough that it didn't want to pop back up at the slightes touch. Unfortunately though if you set the hat down on a flat surface the back part of the brim would pop up. The better said she could fix that and took it to the back. In less than 5 minutes she brought it back, set it on a flat surface, and the back brim did not pop up. She said "steam can fix a lot of issues".

As to the width of the brim - I tend to prefer a smaller brim as well but so far the wider brim on this slouch hasn't been noticeable.

Back to Hatman Jack's. They are a great company. They did a wonderful job on the sweatband and even took care to make sure the chinstrap attachment slots were usable. Also, at the time I had no idea they were the 3rd largest hattery in the nation! Who would of thought a hat shop, in Kansas, would gain such status.

http://www.hatmanjacks.com

Now I'm just waiting for the replacement chinstrap to arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred