Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra straws

Havana

One of the Regulars
Hi, A friend of mine from New Zealand recommended I try an Akubra straw hat. I didn't realize they made them and my buddy couldn't provide any details. Has anyone had any experience with these or know anything about them? Thanks in advance for any replies.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Ultra Custom Handcrafted Montecristi Hat from Panamabob!

Havana said:
Hi, A friend of mine from New Zealand recommended I try an Akubra straw hat. I didn't realize they made them and my buddy couldn't provide any details. Has anyone had any experience with these or know anything about them? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Here is my .O2 on the Akubra straw. The best straw hat made is a Montecristi Panama hat and since we have a seller here with family in Ecuador that gets us the Real Montecristi hats . I don't think I would order a hat from Australia and pay the high postage by the time you do that you can get a Ultra Custom Handcrafted Montecristi Hat from Panamabob! :)

Honduran

New in Town
I agree that anything from Panamabob is superior in quality, and if ordering through him you'd be helping to support the continuation of what is, in reality, an art form. However, I wanted a hat I would actually wear on a daily basis. The Akubra is well made, sturdy, and looks great.

dlgilbert

New in Town
Honduran,

I'm also of the opinion that, while Montecristi hats are unarguably the finest quality straw hats, they're not suitable for every situation, so there's a place for other types as well.

I wouldn't wear a Montecristi hat on a rafting trip nor to an amusement park where I'll be riding rides that require frequent removal and storage (usually behind my back or under my backside) of my hat. I have other straw (or straw-like) hats that are more suitable for those tasks. :)

If we're talking style, I'm all about a Montecristi, though!

Victor

One of the Regulars
I'll have to agree. I have a Fino Fino montecristi from Art that was a Panama Bob body. While I love the hat it is very lightweight and refined so I don't wear it every day and would hate to get it dirty or damaged. i often wear a cheap mexican straw hat in summer for just casual daily wear and save my Panama for special occasions.

English Bob

New in Town
Reef

The hat I am wearing in the Avatar is a reef which I have had for quite a long time. Nice hat but be aware before you buy it is rigid. (solid like concrete) not like a normal straw or panama which is flexible. This may be ok for you but it takes some getting used to. It is a fine hat and will stand a lot of punishment but will never replace a proper panama.
Try it you'll like it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran