Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers oil pull tan steer Roadster with zip sleeves

schitzo

Suspended
About 4 weeks after my trip to Scotland I received an AL oil pull tan steer roadster with zip sleeves, size 38. I used to think those sleeves were naff but after seeing them up close I realised I think they're actually pretty cool, in a classic kind of way. I initially only tried on a jacket with them because it's sleeves, I was told, were longer than the standard version's.

Brendon, the cutter, measured me up and I went along with all that he said. The back is exactly the 25.5" long it was meant to be and the sleeves are exactly the 27.5" long they are meant to be. The leather is pristine all over with no 'jerky' bits. He has not let me down

Then it was over to Moira Johnstone who put it together. I know that because Moira puts her full name on the labels. I'm certainly no stitch counter, but in my not so humble opinion as far as I can tell this effort of hers is flawless. I feel quite sure this Lady must take a pride in what she does, and that would perhaps explain in part the full name thing.

Something I'm particularly pleased about is her handling of the inside pocket. The top corner of that - which I've noticed has a tendency to show through on jackets - is perfectly aligned behind the corner of the outside breast pocket therefore negating that issue. On that pocket I asked if instead of a snap closure or zip, I could have a button with a loop. I also asked for a shirt style open pocket to be sewn onto the other side of the lining. That one I will basically use to stow anything that's worth keeping but isn't important enough to make it into my wallet. For durability a 4 inch cord strip was sewn onto the hem. Sleeves are cotton drill, body is moleskin

When looking around at tan leathers I could not see a better option and so felt pretty good about this order. IMO the leather is such a great colour; it's a really rich and full shade of tan. Admittedly this one did catch my eye too http://www.insurrectionvintage.com/online-shopping-new-jackets.html#schotthalfbelt but it costs a heck of a lot more (£654 which is before shipping and the customs fees that I btw always pay in full) plus it's not customisable either. All of which meant going made to measure with AL for £500 was a pretty easy call.

And I'm glad I made it. The leather is 1.3mm which is substantial without being overly heavy. Of course, we all have a slightly different take on what the ideal fit is, but according to mine it's this. Simply put this is the best fitting jacket I've had in about 8 years' worth of buying. Conclusion: that god awful drive to Scotland was worth it!!!

Pictures

I've taken a few snaps and will try to add a front shot with it done up in the coming days if we get some sunshine. Don't be surprised if that one has me in a balaclava though, as a lot of the time I seem to be wearing strange facial expressions at the critical moment, or blinking

Does my bum look big in this? (the back with the zip zipped)

side on with it zipped up

Inside button loop pocket

inside shirt style pocket

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Really nice! Love the color and the fit is superb. Really like the slim sleeves and the way they are taking on character already. In addition, it looks like this jacket doesn't suffer from the dreaded bat-wing effect. You done good! Of course.....it may be time to consider some kick ass boots to go with the jacket.:p

schitzo

Suspended
Really nice! Love the color and the fit is superb. Really like the slim sleeves and the way they are taking on character already. In addition, it looks like this jacket doesn't suffer from the dreaded bat-wing effect. You done good! Of course.....it may be time to consider some kick ass boots to go with the jacket.:p

thanks man. And yes you're absolutely right it is time! I'm thinking about a pair of Loakes but haven't yet decided on boots or shoes. Any from here http://www.loake.co.uk/loake-1880.html?color=158 would do nicely i reckon

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Looks wonderful Schitzo.
It seems as if a "Moira" (I had a hard time making it out) also made my HWM.
A seriously badass jacket man.

Enough

One of the Regulars
Really terrific jacket. I especially like your vision on the inside pockets, both of them. It is great to have that open liner pocket to quickly slip a ticket or receipt in.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Two things I will add:
1: It's amazing how good a 25.5" length looks, when you have probably been buying 27"+ jackets your whole life. I'm kind of in a similar boat. Consider it a "jacket revelation".
2: You somehow pull off those white shoes.

majormajor

One Too Many
I agree with Seb re the colour, but a very nice fitting jacket.

Collar needs some HWT:D;)

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Really lovely jacket, great colour and some very cool touches, like the button up inside pocket. Perfect cut for your shape.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Schitzo, well done, I always enjoy reading your take on things.. I'm in full agreement with you regarding the fit, Looks perfect. I like the color, especially since You have more than just this one jacket, a guy needs variety. How do you rate the steer hide compared to horse? Is it much less stiff?

schitzo

Suspended
Two things I will add:
1: It's amazing how good a 25.5" length looks, when you have probably been buying 27"+ jackets your whole life. I'm kind of in a similar boat. Consider it a "jacket revelation".
2: You somehow pull off those white shoes.

Actually I would say 26.5" + but you know what buddy? Dependent on the style it can go even lower than 25.5. And if that doesn't shock you I don't know what will!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice jacket schitz. It does look a very good cut and the fit on you is spot on. The zip sleeves suit the jacket style too. Would love to see it again when its had a bit of breaking in.

schitzo

Suspended
I like the color, especially since You have more than just this one jacket, a guy needs variety. How do you rate the steer hide compared to horse? Is it much less stiff?

Actually I was originally thinking of brown again! In this same leather (fyi I got rid of my other brown jackets) but when I saw the tan sample my mind was made up. About half way into the wait I saw this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4109959.131704.558942410783646&type=1&theater and doubted myself for a few days. But then as soon as it arrived last week I knew I'd made the right choice.

IMO the oil pull steer is a very high quality leather. This roadster weighs 2.5kg and for your reference the 50s HB I used to own in FQHH was 3kg, though that one was a couple of inches longer and a couple more wider. I'd say the steer is certainly heavier than midweight but probably it's a smidge lighter than FQHH - I'd guess it's between 2.5 and 3oz. Ergo it's also probably a smidge more maleable than heavy horse to begin with. Putting it on it's not uncomfortable although you are definitely aware it's there. As you can see the collar could benefit from some HWT, the rest of it I expect to 'cooperate' in a relatively short period of time. Compared to FQHH I reckon there are probably more similarities than differences. It'll definitely be interesting to see how this oil pull steer ages as it is a beautiful leather

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Schitz, looks like a perfect jacket to me man- congrats! But like someone said earlier, time for some boots! :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Some whiskey coloured RMs would be just the ticket with that jacket.

RM-Whiskey.jpg

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I'm new to the conversation. I had found this thread doing an internet search for the Oil Pull Tan Steer that you had your jacket made of. I'm also considering purchasing an AL jacket in the near future and was drawn to this color because it would pair well with my favorite pair of boots. I ordered a pair of Crockett and Jones Skye's in Burnished Chestnut a couple of months back and love them, but cannot wear any of my leather jackets with them beause of the shade. This tan seems like it just may do the trick. The burnished chestnut is hard to photograph because it tends to lighten and orange up with bright lighting, but it fluctuates well between it's orangey and red hues.

I thought maybe you would be interested in the same boots :)

-UDK

skye_zps69c60e9e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Hello,

I'm new to the conversation. I had found this thread doing an internet search for the Oil Pull Tan Steer that you had your jacket made of. I'm also considering purchasing an AL jacket in the near future and was drawn to this color because it would pair well with my favorite pair of boots. I ordered a pair of Crockett and Jones Skye's in Burnished Chestnut a couple of months back and love them, but cannot wear any of my leather jackets with them beause of the shade. This tan seems like it just may do the trick. The burnished tan is hard to photograph because it tends to lighten and orange up with bright lighting, but it fluctuates well between it's orangey and red hues.

I thought maybe you would be interested in the same boots :)

-UDK

[

thanks, that is interesting. I'm still hunting for boots/shoes to go with it and this burnished chesnut colour definitely looks promising. So far I've been thinking the Magnanni cognac may just be the closest match out there, though I'm yet to see a pair in the flesh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24