Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers vintage black FQHH

willyto

One Too Many
I wouldn't recommend anything but to wear the jacket at every chance you have(At home doing chores, sleeping, watching TV, reading, etc.)

I've learned the hard way that the only way to make a jacket look worn and broken in is to wear the damn jacket. Don't babysit it, throw it on the floor, wak over it(barefoot) or sit over it while on the couch.

Edward

Bartender
I feel your pain, though, Hicksmat:

I think everyone of us whov'e bought an Aero have a version of this photo! :) Always reminds me of Bedknobs and Broomsticks ....

Enchanted-Army-bedknobs-and-broomsticks-20742893-399-228.gif

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
If you wear it only for like commuting to work and back home, it will take forever to break in. Try to wear it in long sessions of two hours or more. I had great success at my last break in with sleeping in it, I kid you not. I had it with me when I was traveling through Scotland and we were camping and it was pretty damn cold that one night and I slept in full clothes, including jacket and next morning, the jacket was incredibly much softer. I also wore it all day while driving around and sight seeing, so that probably helped too.

Stand By

One Too Many
... and to add to Willytoo's advice to wear the jacket as often as possible, wear the jacket in all weathers too. The bad especially.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have an old AL Cafe racer and couple new Aeros.
In my experience the AL leather is thicker and more rigid. The Aero leather feels nice and soft compared to te AL.
The AL also weighs 500gr more than either Aeros, even though it has the finnest lining.

To me the best way to break them in, and this is what i do with all my jackets, is to spray water all over your jacket with a spray bottle. You want to make sure you massage the water in with your hand. If you just spray it will bead, if you rub it in it will dampen the leather more. Put the jacket on and wear it till it dries, then do it again. You can spray the arms and front shoulders every 15 minutes or so whilst you wear it. Just do your daily things, with the jacket on. Doing as many weird randome movements as you can, stretch, flex, crunch, bend, reach up, just go for it.

If you spend all week end doing that the jacket will look much better. I spent a day each on both new Aeros and they both looked lived in already.

Hicksmat

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies so far.

This is a thick heavy FQHH Jacket. I've never experienced anything like it. I'll try and follow some of the tips to break it in. It's so thick it's not the kind of jacket you would wear in any semi hot/warm weather unless you wanted to sweat a lot. For that reason I may choose to sell it but I will give it my best shot to wear it in. Many thanks all and thanks for the welcome. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure Horween tumble their leather. I know that in Aero's case, they send their own supplies away to be tumbled.

From what i understand, Horween used to tumble and Aero used their tumbled leather.
At some point the level of tumbling offered by Horween changed, and the tumbled hides looked pretty much normal, so Aero started sending them away to be re-tumbled, or tumbling them themselves.
Around the time where i visited the factory Aero asked Horween to up the tumbling again.
My new Original Hercules is in tumbled HH and it shows a LOT of grain, i asked Denny if it was home tumbled or if Horween had finally started tumbling their hides more again and he said it came that way straight from Horween.

BobJ

Practically Family
From what i understand, Horween used to tumble and Aero used their tumbled leather.
At some point the level of tumbling offered by Horween changed, and the tumbled hides looked pretty much normal, so Aero started sending them away to be re-tumbled, or tumbling them themselves.
Around the time where i visited the factory Aero asked Horween to up the tumbling again.
My new Original Hercules is in tumbled HH and it shows a LOT of grain, i asked Denny if it was home tumbled or if Horween had finally started tumbling their hides more again and he said it came that way straight from Horween.

Well, that's interesting too!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Put it on and watch TV or a movie. Then in a while get up and look out the window,( move your arms all around ) take it off and keep it on your lap and knead it with your hands.( do the kneading in order...one arm then the other, one front panel then the other and so on ) Then in a bit get up again put the jacket on and look in the mirror and admire it and move around and work it in. Then.... back on the couch and repeat this process. Its also a good idea to put the lamp on while kneading and take a good look at the stitching and workmanship of the garment. ( also enjoy the aroma of the leather as much as possible ) The best time to do this is when you have a day off and no one else is home. Enjoy !!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo