Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
greeny said:
Well, just ordered a size 42, pattern 42 Eastman. I was going to order a long size, but was advised to get a regular to start with as custom sizes cannot be returned. I hope the fit is OK as this was their last jacket in stock and they have no more sheepskin at present. The chap on the phone said they couldn't be sure when they would get any as there seems to be an international shortage of sheepskin!?!

Greeny
My new Elc 1940 irvin is a size 44 reg body
I am just slightly over 5' 11" 172 lbs

I too was concerned about body length and opted to get an off the shelf incase of a return
In the end the jacket fits quite well.
I determined a size 44 by consulting both ELC Peopele and their size chart.
My jacket arrived much quicker than I thought it would .
Hope you enjoy the ELC Irvin. They are a great jacket

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
fleet16b said:
Well had the new ELC 1940 Irvin up for it's first flight today.
Open cockpit 1942 Tigermoth , ground temp about 8 deg and a lot colder at 2500 ft.
I am happy to report that the Irvin performed perfectly.
With the collar up and pulled tight with it's strap , it kept out all the darfts.
Clearly the designer of this jacket knew something of the issued encountered flying open cockpit in cold weather.:eusa_clap

Me in the Front my Buddy in the back

//warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32556

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes. L.L. Irvin - you could say he 'wrote the book' on the techiques and technology of higher altitude open cockpit flying. And getting back down quickly... A real pioneer.

Originally Posted by fleet16b

Clearly the designer of this jacket knew something of the issued encountered flying open cockpit in cold weather.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
In some way it's kind of funny that so many people ask for altered Irvins.
Just imagin a young flying officer in 1940:
"I say, Squadron leader, can I get my Irvin a bit longer, if it's not too much trouble -and the sleeves a bit more tight, please?"
lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Altered Irvins...whatever next..?

"Squadron Leader Sir?....Does my bum look BIG in this Irvin..?[huh] "

Gents, in the services you get what's thrown at you - just look at some of the photos of Air Crew with sleeves turned up or are swamped in one of those big teddy bear jackets!!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:

Gents, in the services you get what's thrown at you - just look at some of the photos of Air Crew with sleeves turned up or are swamped in one of those big teddy bear jackets!!

and there are plenty of these pictures on the old Irvin thread and on the more recent original Irvin thread. Paddy is it possible to move the Irvin Nuts thread and fix it on the first page of Outerwear so it is easy to access? It is full of so much useful info for all members.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14753
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37165

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Andrew (the old Irvin thread)

I've got the link in the first post of this thread. But...it's probably getting lost there to be honest . So, when I have a moment I'll make it a sticky for reference in the top section of Outerwear.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Paddy,

Very true, including what is possibly on of the most reproduced 'BoB ace in an Irvin' images - that of (then) F/O J.I. Kilmartin at Hornchurch. His jacket was hugely oversize!

PADDY said:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
One of my favourit pictures too -

1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto-4.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
BoB Repro 'closet find'

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the 'orphan jackets' thread.

While clearing out one of my closets preparatory to a retirement relocation I discovered a repro 'Irvin' jacket I didn't know I had. It's a 'Battle of Britain Limited Edition' by The Cockpit Clothing Company of Canute Way, Southampton* and was made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the BoB in 1990. It appears never worn to have been worn and it still has its paperwork and size chart.

It's interesting from a 2009 perspective to examine what was a 'state of the art' Irvin reproduction nineteen years ago. Manufacturers have come a long way since then but, as has been noted about some early repros (even Avirex) there is a certain something about them that somehow seems lacking in some of the latest 'stitch for stitch' replicas.

As I remember, this was probably the first repro Irvin to attempt a 'single panel' construction. They don't get it right, but it's a wearable jacket. Possibly uniquely, it has a brass plaque sewn into it with a limited edition number and commemorative inscription! Wild! The zips, by the way, are by...er...Zip.

Now, what to do with it? For a student of repro jacket production, it is possibly of interest. With the 70th anniversary of the BoB coming up next year, it strikes me that it may have value as a charitable item - perhaps I could raffle it off for the RAF Association charity. Any other ideas?

* Mike1973, is that address still there?

John Lever

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the 'orphan jackets' thread.

While clearing out one of my closets preparatory to a retirement relocation I discovered a repro 'Irvin' jacket I didn't know I had. It's a 'Battle of Britain Limited Edition' by The Cockpit Clothing Company of Canute Way, Southampton* and was made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the BoB in 1990. It appears never worn to have been worn and it still has its paperwork and size chart.

It's interesting from a 2009 perspective to examine what was a 'state of the art' Irvin reproduction nineteen years ago. Manufacturers have come a long way since then but, as has been noted about some early repros (even Avirex) there is a certain something about them that somehow seems lacking in some of the latest 'stitch for stitch' replicas.

As I remember, this was probably the first repro Irvin to attempt a 'single panel' construction. They don't get it right, but it's a wearable jacket. Possibly uniquely, it has a brass plaque sewn into it with a limited edition number and commemorative inscription! Wild! The zips, by the way, are by...er...Zip.

Now, what to do with it? For a student of repro jacket production, it is possibly of interest. With the 70th anniversary of the BoB coming up next year, it strikes me that it may have value as a charitable item - perhaps I could raffle it off for the RAF Association charity. Any other ideas?

* Mike1973, is that address still there?
These occasionally come up on ebay. I think Cockpit was run by Mtch Mitchell They also used to renovate the leather interiors of classic cars and aeroplanes.
They are quite a good repro if they don't have pockets.
I agree about early repros to some extent. The very early Eastman RAF jacket are much better than the ones made today.

rikbb

Familiar Face
very early eastman

Can anybody show photos of the often mentioned 'early eastman (ELC) irvin repro'?
thanks!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Spitfire,

If I had a camera newer than 1933 I would be more than pleased to comply with alacrity. As it is, I am afraid that you will have to wait until I can obtain another supply of 620 or 120 roll film. Sorry.

Spitfire said:
H.Johnson. Could be fun/interesting/instructive to see this Irvin - do you have any pics?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes its an iconic picture. Kilmartin's Irvin Air Chute made jacket is, as HJ says, far too big for him. It looks newly issued too.

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
aswatland said:
Yes its an iconic picture. Kilmartin's Irvin Air Chute made jacket is, as HJ says, far too big for him. It looks newly issued too.

This is off-topic, but are there any good books on 1 Squadron and the blitzkrieg?

John Lever

One Too Many
John Lever said:
These occasionally come up on ebay. I think Cockpit was run by Mtch Mitchell They also used to renovate the leather interiors of classic cars and aeroplanes.
They are quite a good repro if they don't have pockets.
I agree about early repros to some extent. The very early Eastman RAF jacket are much better than the ones made today.
Here's one number 130338995821
and here's another one ! - 330370337722 looks very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic