Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That Devon fleece is very distinctive John.

My only question regarding a jacket which is meant to be a late war pattern would be the addition of the "erector strap" on the back of the collar which was originally fitted to keep the collar up in open cockpits. I'd always been under the impression that these ceased being fitted to jackets mid-war, or have I got it wrong?

Either way, lovely repro!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
That Devon fleece is very distinctive John.

My only question regarding a jacket which is meant to be a late war pattern would be the addition of the "erector strap" on the back of the collar which was originally fitted to keep the collar up in open cockpits. I'd always been under the impression that these ceased being fitted to jackets mid-war, or have I got it wrong?

Either way, lovely repro!

This is all correct. Very few late War jackets had the elastic collar securing strap, a device designed to keep the collar up when flying an aircraft with an open cockpit. For 100% authenticity ELC need to create stitch lines on the wind flap as most late War jackets were made from surplus flying trousers.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
This is all correct. Very few late War jackets had the elastic collar securing strap, a device designed to keep the collar up when flying an aircraft with an open cockpit. For 100% authenticity ELC need to create stitch lines on the wind flap as most late War jackets were made from surplus flying trousers.

Thanks Andrew, I was hoping that an expert such as yourself could confirm this.

Now how would that be for looking after those tiny little details of authenticity for someone like ELC to do those stitch lines? That'd be getting into GW territory there!

BTW Andrew do you still have that original black fleece Irvin?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Yes, I still have it Tim. I have never seen another one quite like it, so it certainly is a very rare jacket indeed.

I'm pleased to hear you still have it Andrew, it's such an unusual and great jacket!

I know that you have posted a couple of photos of it before but any chance you could post some more and especially some detail photos of it? Also, you might have mentioned before but did you find out the maker of it?

You know me, I'm intrigued by those black Irvins!

aswatland

Tim the Irvin was made by Robinson and Ensum. I have compared all the details with pictures of one I used to own and with another from Ebay several years ago. (I down loaded the photos!) This was London maker who put their name on the label. Mine dates from 1941-3 as the firm went bankrupt in September 1943.

I will take some more pictures shortly, but there still some on the long Irvin thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14753&page=61

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I love that jacket Andrew.

If you ever decide from some fit of madness to let it go keep me in mind!

Be great to see some more photos if you take some Andrew. And boy is it in great nick!

aswatland

Soren you are such an amazing advocate for Irvins! Yes, I'm looking forward to getting some wear out of my Irvins as the weather gets colder in the UK.

fenaxton44

New in Town
new to site eastman Devon Irvin.

New to the fedora lounge hello to every one, I have several Eastman jackets, A2 ANJ4 M422A a B10 and a C3 vest, what a fantastic site I have found by accident, I have ordered a Irvin Devon from ELC and was wanting to know if anyone has one and what you think of it? Just mist the last one in my size so have to wait. I normally take a regular size 42” but have ordered a 44” for some extra room.
Regards
Dave.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
fenaxton44 said:
New to the fedora lounge hello to every one, I have several Eastman jackets, A2 ANJ4 M422A a B10 and a C3 vest, what a fantastic site I have found by accident, I have ordered a Irvin Devon from ELC and was wanting to know if anyone has one and what you think of it? Just mist the last one in my size so have to wait. I normally take a regular size 42” but have ordered a 44” for some extra room.
Regards
Dave.

If you have a shufti in the "All Repro RAF Irvin" thread here in the Outerwear section you can see the pictures and posts about John Lever's Devon Irvin which he purchased a month or two back.

Welcome to the Lounge by the way!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Devon Fleece

That's a beautiful jacket John!! really it is.

post2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Soren's new repro.

And just to show off Soren's new repro Irvin (again), because it looks so good on him!! (the other two are nice for comparison, as they are originals).

DUXFORD2010007.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
And just to show off Soren's new repro Irvin (again), because it looks so good on him!! (the other two are nice for comparison, as they are originals).

DUXFORD2010007.jpg

I think that bloke in the background in the Hurri is trying to tell you lot to get out of the bloody way :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner