Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Deacon211

One Too Many
I quite like the colors, though I have no idea if they are historically correct.

It actually looks a bit like my Redskin B-6.

Speaking of the B-6 and Irvins, do any of you miss the hand warmer pockets? I don't use mine for much but wallet and phone, but sometimes it is nice to be able to warm your hands a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Not in the slightest. That's why trouser pockets and gloves were invented ;)

Fair enough. Though I preferred the way that Hell Bent for Leather put it...that pilots should not be standing around with their hands in their pockets like thugs! ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Got an email from U.S. Authentic saying they've done substantial changes to their RAF Type Irvin. Biggest change is the color of the shearling.. Now down to an almost choclate milk color. I can't speak to how much more "authentic" it is but at least Shaul wrote me. Here's the pic they sent. I'm kinda wondering about the coloration and the pockets.

NewUSAuthenticIrvin_zps7a3ae833.png

They also stated:

In the continuation of our Cool "Classic" look, we're presenting our new and updated RAF sheepskin jacket (also known as "Irvin jacket").

We went back to the tannery and reworked our shearling color to match the original British version of the jacket.

Our stock jacket is Russet brown on the outside and honey brown in the inside. All the trim is made of horsehide russet. Get all the details on the RAF page.

Just giving a "heads up".

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
Hi Worf, I got that e-mail from Shaul as well and personally I like the overall look of the re-designed jacket (tho it's nowhere near the premier Irvin repro makers). Nice to have options as to how authentic one wants their Irvin.
I suspect this US A is on par with The Cockpit (and probably nicer then the low priced WPG). Variety is always good when it comes to leather jacket choices.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a pretty nice leather/sheepskin jacket - but it has got nothing to do with an Irvin.
And personally I do not like the fleece . Way too much teddybear!:eusa_doh:

This is my kind of fleece...

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
My ELC Irvin was waiting for me when I got home, yay!

It was too small at a size 46, boo!

I sent it back for a 48, yay!

It will take a week to get it, boo!

I'm hoping that the 48 was a good call. The 46 was tight across the shoulders, but I remember the B-6 being similarly uncomfortable and it settled down into a nice fit after awhile. Still, the 48 will give me a little room in case I continue to fatten up after leaving the mil and it's the kind of jacket that I could see looking good with a generous fit unlike the G-1 which looks unmilitary when it's loose IMO.

Besides, I like the notion that, if an Irvin isn't too big...it's too small.

Now the waiting begins. Luckily, it will be In the 70s when it arrives......boo! ;-)

Deacon

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm hoping that the 48 was a good call. The 46 was tight across the shoulders, but I remember the B-6 being similarly uncomfortable and it settled down into a nice fit after awhile. Still, the 48 will give me a little room in case I continue to fatten up after leaving the mil and it's the kind of jacket that I could see looking good with a generous fit unlike the G-1 which looks unmilitary when it's loose IMO.

Besides, I like the notion that, if an Irvin isn't too big...it's too small.

Now the waiting begins. Luckily, it will be In the 70s when it arrives......boo! ;-)

Deacon

Completely agree! I tend to think that a slightly larger one will be warmer too and just looks damn dapper, like old Killy Kilmartin:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Completely agree! I tend to think that a slightly larger one will be warmer too and just looks damn dapper, like old Killy Kilmartin:

Deacon what ever you do, don't get one as big as Killy's - it's about 3 sizes oversize.

TBH, I don't think this is his original Irvin. This photo was taken in France when Killy was with 1 Sqn. I have a photo of him in 43 Sqn late '39 and he is wearing a more normal sized example. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a hand me down from another 1 Sqn member due to Killy losing his original jacket on his posting to France or with the numerous movements 1 Sqn undertook whilst part of the AASF in France.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I think it's a pretty nice leather/sheepskin jacket - but it has got nothing to do with an Irvin.
And personally I do not like the fleece . Way too much teddybear!:eusa_doh:

This is my kind of fleece...

an evocative picture Søren - gives the atmosphere of a pilot who has just come home for a short leave.
It must be your newest jacket - the Aces High, from Jon`s factory ?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well. as to the sleeve length, I can only give a qualified answer.

The sleeves were actually a bit short on me, though I do have a slightly long upper body (I'm right on the border between regular and long in most things). I'd say that they come to just shy of the mid wrist bone. Decidedly shorter than the guy on the right in the pic above.

The reason I say that it's qualified is that I just don't know how much the fleece would have settled in and lengthened the sleeves. Like I said, I was pretty horrified when I got my Eastman B-6 in 2000. I wore a size 42L flight suit, a 44 G-1 jacket, but the B-6 at 46 felt like it was not cut for human anatomy. In the course of a season or two (with the help of some leather conditioner I think), the jacket fit beautifully, if trimly.

But Chaz over at HPA, told me that the 48 would only be 2in in the body, 1in in the sleeves, and 1/2in on either shoulder, so I don't think that will be too excessive...and as a busted up old Marine, I'm not getting any slimmer! ;)

So, I have high hopes that the 48 will fit generously, but sanely even once the fleece compacts a bit. And dare I say it, I might even need to find an RAF sweater which I don't think would ever have fit under the 46.

Don't tell the wife though. I routinely decry turtlenecks as voluntary choking...a misspent childhood in the 70s spent in garrote necked polyester.

Deacon

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
an evocative picture Søren - gives the atmosphere of a pilot who has just come home for a short leave.
It must be your newest jacket - the Aces High, from Jon`s factory ?

For fear of answering on Søren's behalf, I'm pretty sure it is. One of the nicest repros I've seen, simply stunning.

He's also got a rather nice 85 Sqn Kings Crown blazer patch on that bag there as well ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Deacon what ever you do, don't get one as big as Killy's - it's about 3 sizes oversize.

TBH, I don't think this is his original Irvin. This photo was taken in France when Killy was with 1 Sqn. I have a photo of him in 43 Sqn late '39 and he is wearing a more normal sized example. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a hand me down from another 1 Sqn member due to Killy losing his original jacket on his posting to France or with the numerous movements 1 Sqn undertook whilst part of the AASF in France.

That's an interesting idea about why it is so big - but while I would never recommend having a jacket that was so out-sized that you have to roll your sleeves just to smoke a fag, to me he does rock it rather well, but that may just be down to Killy's devil-may-care style. :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well. as to the sleeve length, I can only give a qualified answer.

The sleeves were actually a bit short on me, though I do have a slightly long upper body (I'm right on the border between regular and long in most things). I'd say that they come to just shy of the mid wrist bone. Decidedly shorter than the guy on the right in the pic above.

The reason I say that it's qualified is that I just don't know how much the fleece would have settled in and lengthened the sleeves. Like I said, I was pretty horrified when I got my Eastman B-6 in 2000. I wore a size 42L flight suit, a 44 G-1 jacket, but the B-6 at 46 felt like it was not cut for human anatomy. In the course of a season or two (with the help of some leather conditioner I think), the jacket fit beautifully, if trimly.

But Chaz over at HPA, told me that the 48 would only be 2in in the body, 1in in the sleeves, and 1/2in on either shoulder, so I don't think that will be too excessive...and as a busted up old Marine, I'm not getting any slimmer! ;)

So, I have high hopes that the 48 will fit generously, but sanely even once the fleece compacts a bit. And dare I say it, I might even need to find an RAF sweater which I don't think would ever have fit under the 46.

Don't tell the wife though. I routinely decry turtlenecks as voluntary choking...a misspent childhood in the 70s spent in garrote necked polyester.

Deacon

Don't know if ELC still offer it but I got my 1940 Pattern in extra long sizing (extra 1 and a 1/2 inches to the body and sleeves). I'm tallish (6' 1'') and on the size 42 I ordered it was absolutely perfect. They also offered a long sizing (extra inch on the body and sleeves). Might be worth considering if you haven't already been sent a new one.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's an interesting idea about why it is so big - but while I would never recommend having a jacket that was so out-sized that you have to roll your sleeves just to smoke a fag, to me he does rock it rather well, but that may just be down to Killy's devil-may-care style. :D

Uniform and flight kit replacement was very low on the list for logistical support for the AASF in France - Noel Monks talked about how he tried to sew repairs on Clisby's SD whilst he was having a bath on leave at Monk's hotel in Paris. The winter of 1939/40 and the spring of 1940 was particularly harsh in northern France and I'd put money on Killy's Irvin being from another member of 1 Sqn who was either on leave or had been wounded or killed. There is no way he could have flown in that (even though at this stage RAF fighter pilots were starting to have doubts about wearing normal sized ones during operational flying).

Deacon211

One Too Many
Don't know if ELC still offer it but I got my 1940 Pattern in extra long sizing (extra 1 and a 1/2 inches to the body and sleeves). I'm tallish (6' 1'') and on the size 42 I ordered it was absolutely perfect. They also offered a long sizing (extra inch on the body and sleeves). Might be worth considering if you haven't already been sent a new one.

Well, mine is on the way back, so it's not too late.

I had considered the L sizes since my torso is definitely on the long side. But I live in that gray (or should I say grey since we are talking about Irvins) area where regular is generally normal to a tad short, but long tends to be quite long on me. So, unless the garment is decidedly short, long can be too long. Still, since the Irvin wears short, it may wind up being the best option in the long run.

At this point it's probably safer going with the 48 for now and I guess I won't know for sure until it gets here. I'm hoping that it will be a nice fit...I will have enough to buy half a WPG in shipping costs shortly! :D

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well, mine is on the way back, so it's not too late.

I had considered the L sizes since my torso is definitely on the long side. But I live in that gray (or should I say grey since we are talking about Irvins) area where regular is generally normal to a tad short, but long tends to be quite long on me. So, unless the garment is decidedly short, long can be too long. Still, since the Irvin wears short, it may wind up being the best option in the long run.

At this point it's probably safer going with the 48 for now and I guess I won't know for sure until it gets here. I'm hoping that it will be a nice fit...I will have enough to buy half a WPG in shipping costs shortly! :D

See how you go Deacon, no harm in seeing how what they send fits.

I found with ELC's Irvins that a good rule of thumb is to go one size larger than your regular suit/dress shirt size (so if like me your a 40'' go for the 42'' in the Irvin). The long size is IIRC you are over 5' 9' or 10'' and the extra long if over 6' - don't quote me on that but I talked a lot to Gary at ELC when I was getting mine and it was something along those lines.

Best of luck with it, once you get it right you'll love it, they are stunning jackets and one of the best repro Irvins out there.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hmmm, well if that's the case, I'm reconsidering the L at least since I'm 6'2". Think I'll give Chaz a call and pick his brain. He originally didn't think I'd need a long. Of course, based on my B-6 and ELC G-1 being 46, he didn't think I needed a 48 either.

Naturally, it's difficult at best to size someone up on the phone.

Thanks for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou