Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

kowalski

Practically Family
As far as I can see the ACES HIGH is second to none. .

Why? some justification,? examples? ELC Irvin vs Aces ...There are many good companies that are doing a good jacket Irvin (ALC, LW, RMcNZ ... ) but the statement that something is the best does not make sense

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum Johnf. I have owned all the Eastman RAF jackets at one time or another and currently have their 1944 Devon fleece multi-panelled jacket, which is superb. Johnny from Aces High makes extremely accurate Irvins which are based on original Wareings jackets and are very well thought of by those who appreciate the finer points of Irvins.

aswatland

Why? some justification,? examples? ELC Irvin vs Aces ...There are many good companies that are doing a good jacket Irvin (ALC, LW, RMcNZ ... ) but the statement that something is the best does not make sense

It depends how you define "best". If ones means closet to originals then Johnf makes a fair point as Aces High make very accurate reproductions, where the details are correct, down to the thickness of the belt!

kowalski

Practically Family
In person humble opinion ; I prefer the weaker original jacket than the best his\her repro !

as I can tell the thickness of the belt after 75 years ??? I don't think .This is possible, but in 1936-44' the year\day in which it was made..
unless it has old, original paper documents who write about the thickness..If he does not have the everything is in the realm of conjecture ... thickness (+ \-)

Leather still aging ..

Last edited:

aswatland

In person humble opinion ; I prefer the weaker original jacket than the best his\her repro !

The quality of high end repro Irvins is generally better then originals produced in Wartime conditions. The construction of some original jackets leaves a lot to be desired, especially when the AM contractor sub-contracted to smaller makers to fulfil contracts. Robinson and Ensum jackets for example are not made to the same standard as those made by Irvin Air Chute or Wareings for example.

kowalski

Practically Family
Therefore please answer in the subject ;from whereof obtains reliable measurement now in order that sew accurate Irvin REPRO ? From jacket made in 39-44years ? (I mean the thickness )
I am very interested in this
thanks

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
In this way it never will accurate, sory. Shape, overall appearance, ok no problem.70 years it is too long time for leather that the measurements are real , such as at the date of production.Leather dries, and other factors.
If would he have authentic data , oryginal document written on paper in 1940 y +- that says ; long it ...in/cm thickness it ...cm\in etc.. , it is ok.

Element made of plastic, metal, maybe tree, it yes. Never old leather , it can not be a model accurate measurements.
I'm sorry but I do not believe, it is advertising gimmick :)
regards

Last edited:

aswatland

There are in existence measurements for original Irvins. The document below was given to makers by the Air Ministry early in the War. I have compared the measurements with some of my original jackets and they accord very closely. Sure many Irvins have shrunk over time but not all.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Rarer than hens teeth! That's also why I decided to find the best repro ever. It was a long- expensive - journey but now it's over and I am truly satisfied with my Aces High Irvin. The closest you can get to the real thing (IMO)

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Hi
question for Andrew about your Eastman devon fleece - is it one of the new spec ones , I heard they improved the skins from the original versoins they made . Only seen the pics on the Eastman web site , is the fleece thick and curly . Any pics you could show ? Have an early war and antique finish mid war versions

aswatland

Hi
question for Andrew about your Eastman devon fleece - is it one of the new spec ones , I heard they improved the skins from the original versoins they made . Only seen the pics on the Eastman web site , is the fleece thick and curly . Any pics you could show ? Have an early war and antique finish mid war versions

Yes, it's the newer version with a very soft skin and fleece and is some much better than their first version which I quickly moved on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR