Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds "Chester"

W_B_K

New in Town
Hey folks... anyone else out there with a pair of Chesters and what is your opinion?

I have had this pair for some time now and it is about due for a heel replacement. Overall I have been slightly disappointed with this model. Compared with the other AE shoes I have/had, the finish on this one just doesn't seem up to par. It is hard to polish up and has never gotten beyond a shiny matte. The finish seems to rub away fairly easily as well showing scuffs quickly. Where the eyelets meet the tongue it is always worn away to grey.

Now these are calf so I'm not trying to compare it to my shells, but compared to any of my Hanovers or vintage Florsheims that are calf, these don't have nearly as nice or durable finish.

What has been your experience?

1pjimx.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AE have been known to use corrected grain leather on some of their shoes.

W_B_K

New in Town
I called AE about it asking if the Chester ever came in a corrected grain. The rep says she never heard of corrected grain. So I ask about "polished leather", which I believe is what AE calls their CG and she didn't know about that either. Her suggestion was to have them re-crafted even though I said they have always performed this way since new. Then she said it sounds like they are cordovan shell if they lose their color and scuff easily! Huh? I've never had a shell that scuffs easily and loses its finish! Any scuffs they do get are easily wiped off.

Oh well. I suppose it is possible they are CG but I would have expected more creasing or wear if they were. They are several years old and were a gift, so I can't complain. I just don't want to bother getting these re-crafted if it is a CG shoe.

Last edited:

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I agree that she either purposely or accidentally has no idea what she is talking about. Those shoes are definitely not shell, and if you don't think the finish or leather is up to typical AE par, send them in and contact Paul. They have been known to send out defects or subpar products before. Never know a recrafting may just solve an over polished shoe or some sort of finish mistake.

W_B_K

New in Town
She sure didn't seem too well educated about shoes, that's for sure!

The lack of a high shine doesn't bother me so much as how easily they scuff and lose the finish. I'll try to get a hold of the boss man there and see how that goes.

They are comfortable however. I don't think they need a complete re-crafting though as the leather isn't badly creased or anything like that. It is just odd that they scuff and lose finish like CG, but I really don't think they are as they should be way more creased by now if they were.

I'll probably just have my shoe guy re-heel them for now. They still look and feel good enough to put $15 into it. :)

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I sent an email a couple of weeks ago to AE with some specific questions regarding their cordovan shells. I want this information as I make a buying decision. To date no response. I am a little surprised by the lack of response from a company that supposedly is top tier and well respected. Could it be that they do not want to answer the questions?

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Greyfox, I'm sorry to hear that I sent an email a few weeks back and haven't heard anything as well. What were you wanting to know from them, maybe some of our knowledgeable members here can help you out with it?

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I asked the following questions because I have heard thru the grapevine that their quality is slipping. These questions were specific to their cordovan shells.

1. Are the soles made from the top most section of horsehide?
2. Are the foot beds a continuous piece of glove leather or are they synthetic?
3. Are the heels stacked leather or plastic base?
4. Are the shoes still made in the USA?

Simple enough to answer I would think.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I asked the following questions because I have heard thru the grapevine that their quality is slipping. These questions were specific to their cordovan shells.

1. Are the soles made from the top most section of horsehide?
2. Are the foot beds a continuous piece of glove leather or are they synthetic?
3. Are the heels stacked leather or plastic base?
4. Are the shoes still made in the USA?

Simple enough to answer I would think.
I'll give it a try.

1. No. Cowhide is used for the outsole.
2.Don't know for sure but I doubt synthetics are used.
3.Stacked leather.
4.All but the Italian line.

BTW, e-mails can occasionally fall through the cracks; why no give them a call: 1-800-235-2348 (Mon-Fri 7:30AM-5PM CST).

Here's a visit of the AE factory:

[video=youtube;TVihz2DbPd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVihz2DbPd8[/video]

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I would also clarify that they use JR soles and heels(best there is) for the shell shoes and the heels are combo heels. Their cordovan also comes from Horween, just like Alden. As to the made in the USA, they are all but the Italian line and some of the mocs are being made in an AE owned factory in the Dominican Republic. Also, AE has decided with pressure from AAAC to clearly note in the product description what shoes are made in the DR. So if it doesn't say anything it's made in the USA, and will be specifically noted if its made in Italy or the DR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR