Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha G-1

deerhunter

New in Town
Dear TXFlyGuy and Loungers,

thank you for sharing the photos and information about your Alpha G1. It looks just great !
There are really not many information and pics of Alpha' s leathers at FL, so please let me make a small contribution - Alpha A2 in black :

I have had 2 Alpha' s nylon jackets for many years (MA-1, CWU 45/P McGuire) and I simply love them. Last year I finally decided to get my first leather jacket and A2 was the clear choice for me, because I like its classic look, simple military cut and its aviation history background (I am strong aviation enthousiast).

Local Alpha retailer has been offering A2s for a standard price of approximatelly 350,- USD ( + shipping). Last year they celebrated 20 years being on local market and came up with a 5-day super sale with 40% discount on selected items (personal pickup at the store only). This 40% off included A2s and G1s, unfortunatelly the offer of sizes was very limited - only L, XL and XXL in black, and XL, XXL in brown, one piece of each available. I took the black L (as this is my common size of jackets, T-shirts, pullovers, and both my nylon Alphas too) and here are my ipmressions after the first season of using it (I agree with many TXFlyGuy´s opinions and notes on his G1 as it seems these two jackets have a lot in common):

- the cut and style is a blend of classic and modern/reissue A2s - one piece back / two piece sleeves, no inside pockets, plain inside canvas, AAR badge on the wind flap versus the black colour itself, side hand warm pockets with individual slids, fuller / baggy fit at the belly area

what I like :

- leather - very nice, smooth and soft goat, thick just about right, jacket is light
- very nice finish and construction, no loose threads, perfect stitching
- one piece back/two piece sleeves

what I am not very happy about, but can live with it :

- size and shape of the collar - it is too big, too wide and pointy, I would prefer more narrow and "upright" shape
- side hand pockets - really no need to have them, they kind of spoil the simple cut of the jacket
- fuller fit around the belly - there is simply too much of material in that area that creates a rather fat look. Side pockets seem to worsen it even more.

However, it is a great jacket and I enjoy it very much ! Here are some pics (will post some fit pics later).

Best regards,

Jan

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Jan - Thanks for posting! Great fotos. We spent some time touring your lovely country...9 days in Prague, with side trips taken daily. You guys make the best beer in the world! Better than the Germans, and I go to Frankfurt frequently! The Pilsner Urquell brewery was so cool!

Glad you like your jacket. I agree, the A-2 collar is a bit too large. But overall, a nice jacket.

deerhunter

New in Town
TXFlyGuy,

thank you, nice to hear that ! Prague is nice and beer is great too :) I am just curious - how come you go to Frankfurt frequently ? A pilot ?

Regards,

Jan

Edward

Bartender
Those Alphas are nice. Certainly a low(er) cost version of a USN jacket if you want something just for swearing around in a civilian context.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff