Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha MA1 Flight Jacket 'Replica' 50's variant

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another score from the Bay in XL. Cuffs were split so I had them replaced. The color is pale sage (I think) this isn't from the Vintage series & is extremely heavy due to the wool content. Quite a weight to wear but lovely in the cooler weather, imagine this must be from the 'Replica' series?

IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0371.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can't tell for sure from the photos, but the white tag under the original spec tag hints that it is a repro of a B-15D (mod). I don't think it is a Replica Series. They didn't have the little red Alpha tag on the left sleeve...or at least mine didn't.

AF

bn1966

There is no year of production on the label which leads me to believe it's a 'Replica'. :cool:

bn1966

Photo of the labels here. Does this shed any light on the "Series"? Year of manufacture? :)

IMG_0376.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Dang. Now I'm confused. There was never an original MA-1 (Mod). There was a B-15C (Mod) and a B-15D (mod). The B-15D (Mod) became the first edition MA-1.

Here's what the tag on an original B-15D (Mod) looks like.

Bjj1QWkKGrHqUOKjUEsnmQsjzRBLT9peyjd.jpg

Bottom line is that I've never seen a jacket quite like this one. I'm pretty sure it isn't one of the 1990's Replica Alphas. It may be from a later Replica series...I believe there have been several...but I'm not sure what its a replica of. Regardless, it sure looks to be a nice jacket. It appears to have a brass zipper which was one of the hallmarks of the older, higher quality (pre 1970) original jackets.

AF

bn1966

Thanks Atticus, it was a relatively cheap e-bay "Buy it Now" looks fantastic & keeps me warm :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket, colour is beautiful.

Isn't it an Alpha copy of the very first MA-1s?

Somebody with a copy of "Suit up!" might be able to confirm.

I've been thinking about picking something like this up, need to branch out from the 2 B-15Cs I've got.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Isn't it an Alpha copy of the very first MA-1s?

I sure looks like it except for the tag. When I first saw the photos, I was sure it was a repro of a B-15D (Mod).

There are two "schools of thought" about the first edition MA-1. One is that the USAF continued to specify the jacket formerly called the B-15D (Mod) but simply changed its name to MA-1. The other school is that the first MA-1 was enough different from the B-15D (Mod) that it was a new jacket. Either way, the first MA-1 had its own nomenclature tag. It wasn't a modified B-15D (Mod). And there was never a MA-1 (Mod)...or at least I've never seen one.

So...I guess what I'm saying is the jacket in this thread looks like a very nice repro of either a B-15D (mod), or a first edition MA-1...with the exception of its tag.

AF

devilish

A-List Customer
Could it be something that Alpha made for the Japan only market? There are jackets that they still make for there that are not available to Western retailers. It is strange that they've tagged it as 'Modified to MA-1'. I'm by no means a leading expert on nylon jackets but I have done quite a bit of searching for various models over the years and have never seen another tagged like that. Not an original or by any of the very detail obsessed Japanese repro makers. Looks to be a nicely done jacket though, good score.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I sure looks like it except for the tag. When I first saw the photos, I was sure it was a repro of a B-15D (Mod).

There are two "schools of thought" about the first edition MA-1. One is that the USAF continued to specify the jacket formerly called the B-15D (Mod) but simply changed its name to MA-1. The other school is that the first MA-1 was enough different from the B-15D (Mod) that it was a new jacket. Either way, the first MA-1 had its own nomenclature tag. It wasn't a modified B-15D (Mod). And there was never a MA-1 (Mod)...or at least I've never seen one.

So...I guess what I'm saying is the jacket in this thread looks like a very nice repro of either a B-15D (mod), or a first edition MA-1...with the exception of its tag.

AF

Thanks for that AF.

I think you are spot on. It looks exactly like an early MA-1 but the tag is what's confusing everyone.

Either way, it's a cracking flight jacket. Wouldn't say no to one myself!

bn1966

I must confess it's my favourite MA1 in appearance, the shade of sage and the quality of the jacket build. The shape looks fantastic which I partly think is due to the wool as insulation. Dimensions are pretty much the same as my vintage series Alpha MA1. Does feel a bit more restrictive of movement than Ma1s with light weight batting but good in the cold. Should see some action next week along with my ELC Irvin if the weather forecast for the UK is accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo