Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Too Tall For the Indy Hat?

Cabe

New in Town
Ok im almost 6' 1" and very long . I have a long face and a steep jaw. I play basket ball so i work out but i dont get bulky just ripped. i am wanting to buy and indy hat, but i dont want to look like im wereing a pilgrim hat. What should i make the size of the crown and the with of the brim?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Cabe said:
Ok im almost 6' 1" and very long . I have a long face and a steep jaw. I play basket ball so i work out but i dont get bulky just ripped. i am wanting to buy and indy hat, but i dont want to look like im wereing a pilgrim hat. What should i make the size of the crown and the with of the brim?
Harrison Ford is 6'1", and pretty lean himself.

indianajonesmtv.jpg

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Yep, wot he said. The original 'Indy' wearer was 6' 1" so I think you'll be fine, as long as you specify a crown height (open) of 5 1/2" minimum open crown.

The Federation IV from Akubra (hatsdirect.com), or the Adventurebilt Indiana Hat (adventurebilthats.com) are probably your best bets, or a custom build by a custom hatter, other copies by Christy's of London, by Stetson, and by Dorfman Pacific seem to have lower crowns and tapering.

N. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Cabe, here's the thing: It may seem counterintuitive but the taller crown and wider brim actually 'shorten' the look of the wearer whereas a small proportioned hat makes a tall, thin guy look even moreso, like a little bird nest on top of a 'phone pole. I'm 6'1" and have never broken past 155 lbs. in my life. I've been wearing fedoras since way before the first Indy movie and have learned what I am sharing with you from this experience. It does take some getting used to - a commitment of sorts to go beyond the Brad Pitt and BoyBand trend of wearing the stingy brimmed trilbys, but I can tell ya' got it in ya'.

G'luck!

Oh, and your hat size is about the same as mine too. Puts you at a 7 in my book. If you want to acquire vintage hats, you'll be able to find more selection at lower prices than our big-headed buddies. :D

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I'm 6'2" and the Akubra Fed IV suits me perfectly, I'd say. The hat size is 7 7/8 in Americanese (Fed IV is 62 in the avatar pic, though, which makes it a bit tight).

And, yes, the wide brims really suit the taller men. If you are short and wear a large brim, it makes you look as if you are hiding behind it and peeking at the world from the safety underneath it (just saw a shorter fellow at the market wearing one like that).

rrog

A-List Customer
Let's see: a tall, in-shape, ripped, athletic basketball player type... I'd say wear whatever you want. ;)

BTW, welcome to the lounge.

rrog

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´m 6"5' and yes, tall crowns and wide brims work well for me. (however, vast majority of my hats has narrow brims)

The only problem I see (with or without any hat) is that I can hardly fit into any doors. And public tranport is harder to use, too - I almost have to crawl on all four to get out of the subway train or tram.

Cabe

New in Town
:) Well I am getting a Magnoli Indy hat in black and I was talking to a hat guy ( think it was Steve Delk or the other guy that makes the AB Fedoras .cant rember his name at the moment) And he said that I should go with a crown 5 3/8". Also he said that I could take 1 or 2 mm of the sides of the brim too. What do you guys think about this . Should i go for it or stay original? Like I said i dont want to look like Hos Cartright .

Also what is an open crown? Is it What the indy style is ?

Thanks for welcoming me in and answering my Questions. I have always bean fascinated With fedoras

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Cabe said:
:) Well I am getting a Magnoli Indy hat in black and I was talking to a hat guy ( think it was Steve Delk or the other guy that makes the AB Fedoras .cant rember his name at the moment) And he said that I should go with a crown 5 3/8". Also he said that I could take 1 or 2 mm of the sides of the brim too. What do you guys think about this . Should i go for it or stay original? Like I said i dont want to look like Hos Cartright .

Also what is an open crown? Is it What the indy style is ?

Thanks for welcoming me in and answering my Questions. I have always bean fascinated With fedoras

If the AB guys are giving you advice, I would take it. They know their way around the Indy hats, and how to get the right look on different people. To be sure, email them a picture of yourself. They have a great eye for this stuff.

Open Crown just means that the hat come unshaped, like a bowler hat. You have to do the shaping. Many hat wearers like doing that themselves. With the Magnoli, I recommend not getting open crown. Ask for a scene from the movie that you like the look of the hat, or just ask for a general Raiders or Temple or whatever bash. It will arrive pretty much ready to wear.

I say this about the Magnoli because the felt is so soft that it's hard to get it to hold it's shape if you don't know what you are doing.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Madcap72 said:
You know, they say if some one tells you something three times, it's important and you should remember it...

Sorry about that. My internet was acting up last night. Kind of had a mind of it's own. :eusa_doh:

Fixing it now.

Goose.

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Sorry about that. My internet was acting up last night. Kind of had a mind of it's own. :eusa_doh:

Fixing it now.
That's ok N-B13.
That's ok N-B13.
That's ok N-B13.

rrog said:
Let's see: a tall, in-shape, ripped, athletic basketball player type... I'd say wear whatever you want. ;)

BTW, welcome to the lounge.

rrog
Yep, what rrog said ;) I think you can take someone's lunch money and they'd still say "nice hat".

HarpPlayerGene, great comments on the crown and brim dimensions. Cabe is getting some great advice and I have no value add
other than to put up a few links for Cabe, et al...

Mr. Paladin has some great shots of how his hat went from open crown to awesome: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=712225&postcount=72

And, in the thread of that post, there are other pics of how peeps did da Fed lid: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=712225#post712225

I have as similar concern with the Hampton and how it's going to look on my noggin that is large compared to my frame.. It's supposed ot arrive tomorrow. Just not certain I can pull that off...but Cabe, I don't think you will have any problem with the a "Indy" type hat.

My tip...put a Fed on your head: http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

And, welcome
:)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many thanks for using that thread copy, Goose! I think that is the first time I have ever been considered as a poster boy for anything good! lol

Goose.

Practically Family
Thank "you" Paladin.

I have been looking at your pic and Not-Bogart13's porkpie Fed(http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=698799&postcount=6) to the point that people walking by my PC prob think I'm a stalker or swooning at my next favorites for "American Idol".

My FIVD is late :( HD said it should be here anyday so I sit here, looking at my "Federation Idols" in those links and the other contestants in the "Non-Indy" bash thread until then.

yoonie

Familiar Face
i think a lot of what suits you has to do with the size and shape of your face moreso than your height or build, though of course, bigger guys tend to have bigger faces and vice versa.

I'm around 6'3, and pretty slim, but I prefer a narrower brim because i have a small face.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Whereas I am only 5'10, my face shape is average (not too thick or thin) but I've got a semi long chin. I find stingy brims and short crowns give me an almost Elmer Fuddish look, so I usually stick with 2 1/2 inch brims and 5 1/2 open crowns. I also think it just looks classic, which is the look I usually go for.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The rule that tall people wear wide brims and short people wear small brims is more of a guidline than a rule I'd say. Sean Connery is tall but pulls off a stingy brim in "From Russia with Love". Bogart is quite short but his famous hat has a medium to large brim. So unless the brim is disproportionally large for your face, any brim length should work really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace