Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Too Tall For the Indy Hat?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Go with your feelings, Luke...er, Cabe!

Much good advice above. However, I'd say:

1. Go open crown and mess with it until you are satisfied. Nothing here beyond your abilities. You will figure out what suits you. Gentle steaming will help.

2. Speaking as one who made dimensional brims long before the Indy movies came out...stick with uniform brim size and decide later. You can get it trimmed down or do it yourself if skilled, but you can't add on later. The non-dimensional (not trimmed on the side) is far more traditional. Unless it's a bound edge, which is a different story.

3. Don't obsess over height etc. There are ancient rules for fitting crown height and brim height to physiognomy...you can find them at the lounge somewhere...but really, every person is different and it's far more art than science. Just look and see what pleases you, and the rest of the world can adjust, thank you very much.

- Bill

Cabe

New in Town
Well i ordered mine with a 5 3/8 tall crown and about 1mm trimed off the sides. It will be a while befor he makes mine so should I tell him to go back to the origanal dimentions Mr. Woodfluter?[huh]

awest84532

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I'm 5'18"/265 lbs and I wear whatever I want to wear. Fedoras are my favorite.

A little over four years ago I was 6'6"/150 lbs (just finished some cancer treatment and started wearing hats, but I thought my first fedora looked good then too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS