Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AMAZING Vintage Photos of Fedoras

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

A Fedora Lounge exclusive – you won’t see these anywhere else (until now).

The photos below were taken from 1916 to 1921 by Clement Kieffer, Jr., a pioneer in the store window display field. Mr. Kieffer played a very active part in professionalizing a type of work that never been taken seriously in America. He was a co-founder and Executive Committee chairman of the “International Association of Display Men.”

Clement Kieffer designed the window displays for WEED, arguably the most prestigious men’s haberdasher in Buffalo, New York. Mr. Kieffer took photos of nearly every one of his displays from 1916 to 1921. He pasted these photos in a book, which is now in my hands.

Take a look at the incredible variety of hats. There are a surprisingly large number of fedoras for such an early date. Note the many, many types of “messy” dents and bashes. Some very light colors, and a lot of expensive velours. Great golf/driving caps. You’ll even see a few porkpies and a straw hat with a colorful paisley puggaree band. Who would have thought it?

For photos of suits and overcoats, click on these links:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21549

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=365557

Letterstoson053.jpg

Letterstoson055.jpg

Letterstoson054.jpg

Letterstoson060.jpg

Letterstoson063.jpg

Letterstoson064.jpg

Letterstoson065.jpg

Anders

One of the Regulars
Now that is a lot of interesting hats. Thanks for posting them!

I'm surprised at the number of hats sporting that "cattleman with small dents" sort of bash. I never really considered that an everyday vintage style.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Look at the white(?) hat at about 9:00... I've never seen a hat dented like that. Mashed in with a small dent at the sides, no pinch. And it looks great!
Letterstoson065.jpg

Thanks Marc. :)

Edit: There are a lot of them like that!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Astonishing.

Particularly so to see hat styles we associate with later eras - the snapbrim, the cattleman, the somewhat regrettable "belter" - skulking about amidst the bowlers and boaters. I even see one front pinch! (the straw at center left under the Japanese lanterns in picture number 16).

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yup - some different bashes there, and so many of those strange side dents, and note that most are not symetrical (don't appear to be). Felt must have been soft, maybe 'bashed' as set up for display. I also note that a lot of the center creases are almost pinched together front to back. I wonder if they all came out of the box open-crowned.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Fantastic pics......Also noticed all of the walking sticks displayed along with the hats......Posh, I like!!!

Thanks for the post!! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner