Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amelia Earhart May Have Survived Crash-Landing

@Tiki Tom

If THAT aren't good news!!
It took much too long, for my taste. Of course, they could not make it to Gardner Island/Nikumaroro with the Lockheed Electra.

And when you looked at the skull, you already saw, that it can't be Amelia's. The eyes are too close to each other, I would say.

^^^^^
That story leaves me with more questions than answers. Here’s hoping for a definitive yea or nay. At this point, I’m thinking the smart bet would be on the former.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A commendable effort, but keep the champagne on ice for now.

Yes. Like the Woman in the article, I also find it a little odd that, after so many decades, the image seems to show an aircraft that is almost completely intact. As they say, the only way to know for sure will be to send a submersible down for a closer look and to maybe retrieve a piece of the thing.

We know, that they simply couldn't reach the atoll with the plane, 400 miles from Howland Island and we know, that the Nikumaroro/Gardner Island bones are not hers. So it's clear to me. They ditched near Howland Island. I thought, that was the question, which is answered.

Tony Romeo said, that the ocean floor is "incredible flat and smooth" in this area and natural formations would be unusual.

So, if it's an airplane, wanna bet, it's another? Any WW II military plane?

I'm actually reseaching, if the U.S. Forces lost a Lockheed Ventura or North American B-25 Mitchell from their stations at the Salomon Islands and Gilbert Islands (Hawkins Field/Tarawa) in the area of Howland Island.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner