Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Classics and Real McCoy in London

Edward

Bartender
Stood in as a friend's plus one at the launch party for the latest issue of Men's File last night. It was split across two Covent Garden shops - the Real McCoy's one (is it a limited-time pop-up?) and the Nigel Cabourn. Interesting stuff. The Cabourn shop less so: some nice vintage bits on display only and the odd nice coat (I quite like the oilskin copy of the WW1 dispatch rider's coat), but the prices were absurd. There was a jacket there which was clearly the result of what happens when a CC Irvin and a USAAF B7 mate and produce an ugly baby, full price £2500. On the sale rail, though that rail was only labelled "Up to 50% off". Couple of nice shirts, but all crazy, crazy pricey. Presumably the brand must have a big enough following prepared to shell out for it, but..... [huh] They also had binmen's jackets / donkey jakcets, at silly, silly prices. Very odd, but interesting to see nonetheless. THey had a book in there too with the vintage collection in it, with some really interesting bits and pieces pictured. They also had a couple of suits which looked a bit like the blue hospital suits from WW1, not a million miles away from Old Town (except in price). Ladiewear had a couple of nice bits, based on military designs but cut for ladies. The B7 in this range was nice, ditto some military tunics, though I wasn't so convinced by what looked like WW1 British tunic shirts, with an extra ten inches or so, designed to bed worn as dresses. Quality of cloth and construction was top notch, but I can't imagine it being hard to replicate the same look from army surplus for much less. Still, interesting. THe shop's worth a looksee if you're passing, but I don't think it's exactly for the "likes of us". Seems to be more aimed at the very well-heeled "I like vintage style repurposed and altered for the modern era / fit!" crowd.

Real McCoy's on the other hand.... oh, my. Such lovely stuff. Couldn't see a price on any of it (probably as well), but everything was stunning and perfect. The B7 repro they had was lovely (if impractical - it was the undyed version), and the quality of construction of everything was just bang on. I was particular taken with their N1 deck jackets; really nice amount of 'body' in them, nice and thick. Tempting. Some re3ally nice engineer boots too. It was harder to see much of their stock as it's a much smaller premises and was by far the busier of the two, but it was great to see what I did and get to handle them. In the real world price might be a problem, but I'd certainly jump on any of their stuff money aside. Beautiful engineer boots too. They had a bunch of A2s hanging behind the counter in a lovely, reddish-brown hue (between the Russet and Seal with which I'm familiar with) and olive-green knits. Looked really sharp. Very definitely worth a visit, but beware, you'll want to take it all home!

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Edward - I visted both shops recently too and I agree with your comments on both. The Cabourn stuff is interesting, but those prices are crazy.

The leathers in the Real McCoy shop are lovely - I especially liked the Buco Cafe racer they had (J100 possibly?) - but again, not exactly cheap! I was also happy to see they're carrying the Joe McCoy jeans, I've been meaning to try them out.

Anyway, it's good to see brands like this opening new stores in London. Hopefully they'll do well and pave the way for some other interesting brands to do the same.

Nick

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Yeah it was a great party, so many faces there :) BTW The prices are on all the RMC items - they are printed on the swing tickets (they are in same size and type as the product description, so easy to miss) Max is doing a great job with the store and Lewis is to be congratulated for getting it off the ground. I got a pair of N1 boots - great fit from the off. Whilst Janet looks great in her Ball Park and regular sweats and hooded sweat they were too snug for me until I got the after-hood double face sweat -just the right length and a great fit for a heavy garment. Soooo much great stuff and the price point has become accessible now thanks to the Yen issues. Of course the leather is still pricey - but ..... .
Janet was looking so wistfully at the Buco J24 jacket on the back wall that I thought we'd never get out. A young lad ( from Osaka, I think) had his Dad's 10 year old one on - barely broken in -the jacket that is, not the lad.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Just looked up Real McCoy's on the web and have to say those prices are off the wall! I like those N1 field boots but not to the tune of £675. A little drawstring denim bag £115. What is that about? Manufacturing cost was probably less than a pound!

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Edward, I meant Lewis of Superdenim (RMC distributors in UK).
Jim, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I wont justify the price of stuff like the NI boots. Suffice it to say, for instance, that the soles are made of a material they've developed and manufactured themselves that mimics the period rubber that was recycled from old tyres with the cord left in for speed of production. As a side effect it gives greater wear, apparently. OK they are twice the price of my RWs or C & Js, but I'd stack em against my cordovan C & J brogues (at the same price) for quality and joy of ownership. Go look at them in the flesh and then judge :)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They are indeed much cheaper in Japan. A major cause of the discrepancy is the rapid devaluation of the yen. Tthe Real McCoy's Nagoya (a dealer like Real McCoy's London) used to sell overseas. They even put up an English site. This went very well for a couple of months until Real McCoy's struck some kind of deal with their overseas dealers like Blue and Green etc. and restricted sale of RM products directly from Japan. I guess that's in return for the overseas dealers to open up shops under the Real McCoy's name in various countries. No doubt, Real McCoy's is gaining some publicity and new customers overseas. I hope it goes well for them as they are losing at least one customer, that is me.

Correction. I own the Buco J-100 and J-24 as well. Don't know why I completely forgot they are RM too. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy