Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An accidental discovery

Cobden

Practically Family
For many years now, I've been in possesion of a RAF officers uniform which I...well...got from a school costume department...:whistling

I changed the buttons, demoted it, stuck a pair of pilots wings on it, etc

Anyway, I always assumed it was from the 1950's or 1960's, worn by some chap who was stuck behind a desk for his career.

Turns out, it's a wartime tunic made for a pilot who served in 208 Squadron, who was awarded the DSO and DFC!

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Confession time (yikes)

Funny that and very similar to mine. While at school (Independent boarding) I was in the art Dept. and on a mannekin was the RAF tunic of a Wing Cmdr, with DFC (was the only one I could recognise then!) and Pilots Brevet with king's Crown and brass King's Crown buttons.
I was so tempted to procure it and dear knows where it ended up (maybe on a skip eventually!), but I did save the Pilot's Wings :)o I feel so bad about that now, but not sure whether I feel worse about taking the wings, or worse for LEAVING the full jacket, rather than just nicking it!!).

Cobden

Practically Family
I consider it "liberation"!

I did give them another modern corporals uniform back, mind, so I wasn't that evil!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy