Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An annoying term.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, I may be the only one here who feels this way but, the term "Old School" is something I just don't care for at all. Why do we use it? What power does it posses over say, antique, vintage or classic? If something is old, why not say it's classic or vintage?

Old School is such a "Thugsta" way of talking... I can't say I've never used it, it bothers me that I have and do use it when I'm not thinking but... darn it, I really want to rid my vocabulary of that juvenile term that is used in phrases such as: Dude, that ride is totally "Old School"! Or: Hey man, what's with the "Old School" clothes? Or: Dude, you're chillin' "Old School" style homes!

Yeah I think if we want to really break the mold and suit our style better, we can do with out the term "Old School".

What does every one else think?

=WR=

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
My 96 year old grandfather has been using the phrase "old school" (as in "he's from the old school" or "I'm from the old school") for as long as I can remember. The phrase existed at least as early as the Nineteenth century.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Maybe without the "Dude" it would sound better...

I don't have a problem with Old School. Of course I don't use it that often either.

Maybe give some other choices to explain the same thing...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
These days, I :rage: the term!!!! Especially when it's applied to things that are only twelve years old!

The term came originally from religion--in the 19th century the Presbyterians split into "Old School" and "New School" denominations, based on theology. This usage, however, had no impact on popular culture, and the term did not approach mainstream use until around 1986, when it was popularized by rap musicians.

The :)"old school" definition of old school:

"Old school is a term referring to an older way of thinking or acting, and to old objects in general, within the context of newer, more modern times. Rather than carrying the negative connotation of obsolete or outdated, it may be used to refer to a time of perceived higher standards or level of craft. The term 'old school' may be effectively equivalent to 'they just don't make 'em like this anymore.'

Old school is often interchangeable with the word nostalgic but practitioners of semantics often define old school as simply something of an earlier period but not necessarily inferior or hopelessly dated."

The :rage:"new school" definitions of old school:

"Old school hip hop, referring to the hip hop music of anywhere from the late 1970s to the early 1990s. Hip hop historians(!) consider the late 1970s to the early 1980s to be old school, then the late 1980s to 1990s as Golden Age, but the mainstream often refers to the late 1980s, early 1990s period as Old School.

For electronic music fans, Oldskool (with a 'K', one word) is now a popular term that usually refers to a style of music popular in the early 1990s, which was at the time called breakbeat hardcore or rave. The style fragmented in the mid 1990s but the 'cheezy' Old Skool roots and even direct samples are easily found in many Happy Hardcore genre tracks as well as in other genres that share a common link with breakbeat hardcore.

In the world of rock music, Old School usually refers to the period between the early 1970s, when hard rock and heavy metal emerged, and the early 1990s, just before the advent of grunge. This period is a common format for classic rock/AOR radio stations.

In computer and video games, the dividing line for Old School is often before the advent of 3D graphics, generally the 8 to 32-bit sprite based games of the late-1970s to mid-1990s such as Sonic the hedgehog.

Some fans of pencil and paper role playing games use the term to describe RPGs characterized by simple game mechanics and flexible rules. The character generation system in such RPGs tend to lack extensive lists of skills and abilities. Basic Dungeons & Dragons and the first edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons are often considered "old school" role playing games.

The term is also in use in skateboarding, referring to the third generation."

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm? I've always interpreted it as being something solid, reliable and dependable and not complex for the sake of being complex. But that's just my definition to myself and I'm sure everyone has a different picture when they hear the phrase.

when i hear "old school" (skool?) i think of Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash et al. I have never heard anyone refer to golden era styles as "old school". Now "from the old school" has a whole different set of connotations: dependability, reliability, work ethic, moral compass well tuned, etc.

I have no particular issue with either phrase.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
do people REALLY talk like that ?

Yes, Herringbone, yes they do... that's why it bugs me!

On another note, this thread has become a very interesting and educational thread in regards to a word I thought was some hip-hop term only... man, this place is such a fountain of knowledge!

You guys are swell!

=WR=

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't use the term. I prefer the more proper term, "Old Fart".

The surf band I play in is called Vintage Winds. You can decipher that code easily.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I don’t mind the term; though I am getting tired of it’s over use. Whenever I here it, it’s usually used as a term of respect such as, “You’re old school, that’s cool, people just don’t have that kind of style anymore.” This coming from kids in there late teens or early twenties.

Wild Root,
I would be more worried about the inclusion of “homes” in your vocabulary.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Many rappers are fond of the Fedora, I wouldn't let it sully the hat for me; context is everything.

If you use the term "old school" I doubt anyone would associate you with less desirable folks that do it too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
These kids today. Homes, homey, homeboy...........

Serial Hero said:
Wild Root,
I would be more worried about the inclusion of “homes” in your vocabulary.

"Holmes" is Old School;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Ed.:

Main Entry: old-school
Function:adjective
Date:1803

1 : adhering to traditional policies or practices <an old-school coach>
2 : characteristic or evocative of an earlier or original style, manner, or form <old-school music>

Main Entry: old school
Function:noun
Date:1749

: adherents of traditional policies and practices

I don't find the term annoying. It doesn't have the negative connotation that "old-fashioned" sometimes has.

The term I do find annoying is "sports hero." I think the term "hero" should be reserved for people who take great risks to help others.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like it. I use it, too, which probably has something to do with why it doesn't sound ignorant to me. But it, as Paisely says, suggests "classic" without the burden of some of the shades of "old-fashioned" i.e. dusty and unlikeable.

"Gentlemen of the old school" is always a compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats