Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interesting thrift store suit

Rooster

Practically Family
I came across a gaberdine DB suit in navy blue yesterday. Oldish, in my novice opinion a 30's or 40's suit. Waaayyyy high arm holes. Pants have dropped belt loops and a Talon zipper. It's prbably a 40 or smaller. It seems the waist on the pants was a 32 with a 27 inseam. The jacket was way too small, I wear a 44R.
It had a moth hole on the back near the collar and there were some odd green stains on the jacket and the pants....mildew maybe? It needs cleaned, I have no idea if the stains will come out or not. Anyway, a sharp looking suit overall.
If anyone is interested I'll go back and get it at cost, which is less than $10.
I also came across a pleated and belted back jacket too! Looked like a cream colored gaberdine. It was a 44R and fit me perfectly. Unfortunatly it was a Levi Strauss......

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It always adds insult to injury when I come across one of those '70s Levi's (or Angel's Flight) "action" suits in thrift stores. Very detailed pleating on the belted backs, and even pleated pockets on the front. But those awful lapels ... those big stitches ... those low-rise pants ... and all that polyester ... :(

Rooster

Practically Family
OK, Here's the pictures.
blueDB1.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB2.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB3.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB4.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB5.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB6.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB7.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB8.jpg
[/IMG]
blueDB9.jpg
[/IMG]
Any questions , comments or conversation are welcome.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's a very nice suit! Probably from later 1940s; in any case, almost certainly post-WWII.

I'm worried about the stain in the seat of the pants. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that it probably won't come out, no matter what you try. This fact will make the suit a hard sell. However, if someone wants it just to dance in (or to use as a costume), then the suit is a winner!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
Pass on it.

Since it's selling at the thrift store for less than $10, I would definitely not pass on it.

Buy the suit, give away the pants, and offer the jacket as a blazer to a smaller, vintage-loving guy. It would work very well as a spring/summer sportcoat, worn with white or light grey flannel trousers, or tan gab slacks.

Feraud

Bartender
For ten bucks someone can get the experience of high armholes on a real vintage suit. Leave the jacket on the the stain is gone. ;)
I am not sure how bad the buttons are. I would prefer to see it on someone.

Compare Rooster's picture with this jacket. The button position looks similar.
Picture5715.jpg
blueDB1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the suit. The sleeves need tailoring but the jacket is perfect.
Pic.jpg

Saint

New in Town
Is it still available? My sister Sunny pointed me to this thread. As one of those long fellows I thought I would give the jacket a try. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay