Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open Request to the Ladies of the Lounge

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Dear Ladies

I'm starting this thread in the hopes that you might be able to assist my sister. For years, she has been unable to find quality clothing that flatters her figure. She has tried many of the major fashion-forward stores and boutiques; everything from H&M on up to Saks and Neiman Marcus. At the time of writing, we've begun to wonder if she wouldn't be best off with custom-made clothing.

So my open request to the ladies is this: are there currently any makers of quality customized womens' clothing online, or within the CT-NY area?

My sister has a more difficult figure to fit, certainly taller than vintage sizing would allow... Any suggested thrift or second hand stores would also be most appreciated.

To give a sense of what we may be looking for, I'm wondering if there is a women's equivalent of an online site such as Bookster UK, or even Magnoli Clothiers. My sister has an excellent idea of fit, color, and proportion, so she really knows WHAT she's looking for. It's just nearly impossible to find a 1950's hoop/circle skirt in a biased tartan!

Any suggestions, at all, are most appreciated. My sister is headed into her third year of college, and I really don't want her worried about her wardrobe.

Many Thanks

RP

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Hi

She's currently looking for 4 or so tailored dresses, and 2 skirts. I know she doesn't want anything too formal, as this is a college wardrobe really. She won't wear jeans or pants of any sort. I know she's looking for a good wool tartan skirt (she specifically wants a wool tartan circle-skirt with the tartan pattern set on a bias), and possibly some warmer tweeds or woolens. Also, she does like a number of cotton skirts and dresses. She has a bad wool allergy, to the point where unlined wool (even fine wools and cashmere) will itch.

Thanks for any response, let me know if any other info is needed!

*Edit*- As for time period, I know she's interested in some Victorian styles as well as modern "steampunk" interpretations. She was looking for a well-made corset as well at one point, so that might be another style to look for. Some of her favorite pieces come from Peruvian connection and the like, though they aren't really cut for someone with a larger figure...

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
Being based in Australia I obviously don't know what local options there are but here's some general suggestions:

Has she tried the classifieds for local dressmakers? I would suggest ringing a few and having a chat with them about her requirements and expection of cost.

I believe there are some ebay stores (dressmakers based in China) which have had good feedback, send your measurements and they will make you what you want. Communication would have be pretty exact.

How much time does she have on her hands? Would learning to sew be an option? Once you learn to sew then the sky's the limit as to what you make.

Hope this helps

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Yes Toprunway on ebay are a good example of this,i think anyway.
Jitterbuggin on Etsy has some lovely skirts ,although they are a 40's design .There are some great ladies on etsy that do custom but the ones i know of mainly do 30's -50's types of clothes.
I'll have a think & see if i can come up with any other ideas:)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Top Runway/Heart My Closet

I think the girls here at the Lounge have agreed that Top Runway on Ebay and Heart My Closet at Etsy are the same sellers if your sister happens to prefer Etsy but the prices may be a bit higher on Etsy.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the suggestions, will run these by her and see what she thinks.

I'll also try asking my tailor if he know's any local seamstresses who could make a skirt or two

Any other sites or makers I should know about?

Cheers,

RP

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Get her to check out Etsy - there is a cool thing you can do which is post a request on "alchemy" for what she wants and then dressmakers will bid to make them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails