Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande1964 and AlanC Meet in Person- Consume Bison!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Our beloved bartender, AlanC, moved to my neck of the woods recently, so we arranged to meet for lunch yesterday. I chose Ted's Montana Grill (I know... it's a chain, but it's fantastic!) in Leawood, Kansas.

Alan was as friendly and gracious in person as he always is here. It was really a pleasure to hang out for awhile, trading hat stories. We both had Bison Burgers and Onion Rings. I took a box of hats to show off, and Alan did the same. I got to see his Artlite in person, and now I really need one. In general, it was a delightful lunch, despite the call I got as we ordered, informing me that my studio at home was flooding.

Here we are in the parking lot. I'm wearing my Adam Strat clone from the '40s, and Alan is wearing the Artlite.

ande_alan.jpg

Best,
Anj

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, a good time was had by all! Not even softball sized hail could stop our meeting (well, they showed some on the news from that day). Ande got there ahead of me and when I walked in the hostess said, 'You must be the hat guy.' I don't know how she could tell. [huh]

Of course no meeting could be complete without at least one hat changing hands. Ande had a Portis he recently got in my size that he decided to pass on rather than resize. I thought it might be a good candidate for a porkpie crease. Here it is after my first attempt. Now I guess I'll have to pay him for it.

p1012737ot6.jpg

Ande's a great guy, and there was even some talk to trying to organize a Kansas City FL gathering if there's enough interest out there.

Oh, and bison burgers are good.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Looks like ya both had great fun!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Maybe one of those Stetson Buffalo hats needed to be passed off as well?[huh] :D

The porkpie looks great!....
Mmmmmm porkpie........

AlanC said:
Ande's a great guy, and there was even some talk to trying to organize a Kansas City FL gathering if there's enough interest out there.

I can second that. Even though we've never met in person, Ande and I have done business on a couple of occasions and I came away from both exchanges satisfied that all was fair for all concerned. Both deals were for vintage homburgs of his -- a dark gray Borsalino from that Bulgarian stash and an absolutely exquisite blue Cavanagh -- that I am just tickled to have in my collection. Prices, while not giveaways, were certainly well within reason, considering how truly fine both hats are.

I'm quite some ways from KC, although I do have a shirt-tail relative or two living in Lawrence, where I had myself lived for a year or two back in the 1960s. (I have fond memories of that town and my time there. I imagine it must be suburban KC by now.) Should I ever be in that neighborhood, I'll drop a line

J.B.

Practically Family
AlanC said:
...there was...some talk to trying to organize a Kansas City FL gathering if there's enough interest out there.

I will absolutely be there in spirit with all of you. (I'm a re-located guy from Waldo -- just over the line from Leawood...) :)

AlanC said:
...Oh, and bison burgers are good...

Saaaay, isn't there a Jack Stack BBQ around Leawood somewhere? Don't forget to try the "Borsalino" of BBQ's -- Rosedale in downtown KCK (that's if it's still there?!)

AlanC said:
...Not even softball sized hail could stop our meeting...

Ah yes. And next up -- stand by for Tornado Watch Season!!! :eek:
(Nail down your lids!) :p

You guys look SUPER! in those classy lids!

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Being new to the lounge, I would welcome the opportunity to gather in the Kansas City area. I am relatively near by, approximately 35 miles west of Wichita.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks Great....

AlanC said:
Yes, a good time was had by all! Not even softball sized hail could stop our meeting (well, they showed some on the news from that day). Ande got there ahead of me and when I walked in the hostess said, 'You must be the hat guy.' I don't know how she could tell. [huh]

Of course no meeting could be complete without at least one hat changing hands. Ande had a Portis he recently got in my size that he decided to pass on rather than resize. I thought it might be a good candidate for a porkpie crease. Here it is after my first attempt. Now I guess I'll have to pay him for it.

p1012737ot6.jpg

Oh, and bison burgers are good.
Sounds like you both had a great time.
Now don't forget to post that sweet lookin' Portis in the Pork Pie thread Alan.....it came out great, can't wait to see it on ya. :eusa_clap

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Well good for you chaps. As you can see from my screen name, I am from Lawrence. About 25 miles from Leawood. If you ever come our way, stop at Free State Brewery on Massachusetts street. Fabulous ales made on site and the best gastro-pub food around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner