Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ann Dvorak

Anthony

New in Town
I'm a big fan of Ann Dvorak. Yep, no doubt about it:) . Always have been since seeing her in Scarface which I suppose most folks know of her. Until recently, that with the DVD release of her film 3 on a match ( with 3 others) folks have recognized her talent far beyond that of Scarface.
Luckily I have a great video store near where I live and am able to view a broad variety of her work. Most of which I enjoyed even the dog movies she was given by Warners and other studios in punishing collusion for her standing up for her rights (salary, rolls etc.). Try to see:
The Strange Love of Molly Louvain
Out of the Blue
Private Affairs of Bel Ami
Friends of Mr. Sweeney
There's more but you get the point. Abilene Town can be watched on-line.
AnnDvorak.jpg
[/IMG]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like Dvorak, too, though I wouldn't term THE STRANGE LOVE OF MOLLY LOUVAIN a dog. I liked that one just fine (though I'll cop to being a soft touch for precode movies).

She's great in THREE ON A MATCH, and I just saw her in a 1939 picture called BLIND ALLEY.

Anthony

New in Town
By dogs I was thinking of Housewife,College Coach,Murder in the Clouds.
The ones listed in the first post are all excellent.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love Ann and I especially love her in Three On A Match, which is my second favourite movie.

I've seen:
Her uncredited roles, but she can be spotted in most..
The Hollywood Revue of 1929 (1929)
So This Is College (1929)
The Woman Racket (1930)
Free and Easy (1930)
Our Blushing Brides (1930)
Way Out West (1930)
Dance, Fools, Dance (1931)
Just a Gigolo (1931)
This Modern Age (1931)
The Guardsman (1931)

And the films that display her wonderful talents...
Scarface (1932)
The Crowd Roars (1932)
The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932)
Love Is a Racket (1932)
Three on a Match (1932)
College Coach (1933)
Heat Lightning (1934)
Bright Lights (1935)
Merrily We Live (1938)

Wow, looking at this list, she went uncredited in some really good movies and now I'm wondering how they would have been had she been in someone else's role, or if her uncredited role was a bit bigger. Hmm...

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Anthony said:
Here is a web-sight of a fan of Ann's who is an expert. It's pretty good except the lady who runs the sight ruins the photos with a horrible watermark :eusa_doh: http://www.anndvorak.com/cms/

Wow. There really is absolutely no point at looking at those pictures. You can't see anything through the watermarks.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
She's on TCM right now in Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone right now. Marjorie Main and James Whitmore make a great team - too bad they didn't go ahead with the proposed series of O'Malley & Malone movies! Dvorak plays the ex-wife of one of Malone's clients, an embezzler just released from prison, with everyone wanting to know what he did with the $100K he took.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
I always reminded of Olive Oyl somehow
when I see her in something.
I liked her in "The Racing Lady" (1937)
but I liked the Cord roadster she was driving better!
As a matter of fact; I may watch that today.
What happened to her after the 1930s?

Cheers!
FATS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats