Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annoying modern trends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
One of the most annoying trends is the rise of self-righteous [BARTENDER EDIT: no contemporary politics, please; the wider discussion is fair enough, but we don't do political 'wings' here.] who profess inclusivity, sensitivity, tolerance, love, respect, free speech, and all the rest, and yet publicly seethe with hatred right up there with the worst of them. Earlier comments about white men and the word "snowflake" showcase this kind of behavior in spades.

Last edited by a moderator:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
One of the most annoying trends is the rise of self-righteous individuals who profess inclusivity, sensitivity, tolerance, love, respect, free speech, and all the rest, and yet publicly seethe with hatred right up there with the worst of them. Earlier comments about white men and the word "snowflake" showcase this kind of behavior in spades.

I've noticed that folks who use the term "snowflake" in its most recent context oft seem to be lacking in the old-fashion concept of simple decency. Of course these are generally only folks whom I have met on-line, and so their personas may all be pose. I have no doubts at all about the two men I've heard use the term in this way in person, however. They were well known to me. The usage was quite in keeping with their other modes of expression.

There is an old time expression which might well be applied to many: "Nice people don't say such things, dear."

edit: Please note that the quotation to which I was responding has been edited for prohibited modern political content by a moderator. My above response appear to be somewhat less germane that it did when written.

Last edited:

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Ah, yes. That's the idea. If one is the kind of person who is offended by words like "snowflake," then perhaps one should stop calling other people racists, homophobes, misogynists, and things like that. Lack of simple decency. Works both ways, eh wot?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the most annoying trends is the rise of self-righteous individuals who profess inclusivity, sensitivity, tolerance, love, respect, free speech, and all the rest, and yet publicly seethe with hatred right up there with the worst of them. Earlier comments about white men and the word "snowflake" showcase this kind of behavior in spades.

Please reread the last two lines of the post in question. I stand by them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward

Bartender
Ah, yes. That's the idea. If one is the kind of person who is offended by words like "snowflake," then perhaps one should stop calling other people racists, homophobes, misogynists, and things like that. Lack of simple decency. Works both ways, eh wot?

I personally have no problem with people who actually are racist, homophobic or misogynist being labelled as such, even if people who have those negatived traits object to being called out on them. Some use the terms too readily, others object to their use at all.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
emoticon-eating-popcorn-mh900437984.jpg

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
So "snowflake" would be an OK term for someone who really is a "snowflake?"

In my experience, the term "snowflake" as currently used has nothing to do with African Americans (would be a rather odd descriptor indeed) or with LGBT, or with any other group of "victims." Rather, it is a generational term used primarily to describe college students and even faculty who are frightfully sensitive to "microaggressions," thus requiring campus safe spaces complete with play dough and coloring books (quite literally). What could be a better term for such people -- they melt away at the first sign of imagined hardship.

Of course the term has had other metaphoric meanings in the past, long before its use in the movie someone mentioned earlier. For example, it was once used to describe those who opposed slavery -- that was a really long time ago. Anyone interested in this term needs to look at Wiki rather than Urban Dictionary before getting too upset.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, "snowflake" was a person in the border-state region who opposed abolition. It was also very commonly used as a racial slur in the late 19th and early 20th century in reference to African American men, a usage continuing well into the Era. When Jackie Robinson took the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers at Shibe Park in Philadelphia in April of 1947, one of the remarks shouted in his direction by the Phillies bench was "Hey snowflake, which one of them white boys' wives are you f-----g tonight?"

I could continue, but as I said in my earlier post, I can't be bothered with the kind of people who think they need to use this particular term. The people who popularized the use of the word over the last ten years or so are, I have no doubt, well aware of its earlier connotations, and I have neither respect nor tolerance for them, here or anywhere else.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
The meanings of words used colloquially change with time. Today's most common usage of "snowflake" has nothing at all to do with race, nor with LGBT issues, except in the minds of those who twist words in order to try to vilify people who hold traditional values. The values in question have to do with self reliance and resilience. You probably understand what I mean -- my family in Maine certainly does. They have done quite well for hundreds of years by living according to some of these traditional values. They are examples of whatever the opposite of "snowflake" might be. I can't fault them for saying that a college kid -- say at Dartmouth -- who discerns a "micro aggression" and therefore needs Play Dough and a coloring book is a "snowflake." She is just that: a snowflake.

In her case, a new meaning of "snowflake" might be a flake (i.e., a crank) who lives in the snow belt. Snow flake -> snowflake. :)

Regarding Jackie Robinson: One can find any kind of anecdote that is convenient in a country of hundreds of millions of people. The plural of "anecdote," however, is not "data."

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I know more millennials than just about anyone else here, and trust me, any of them that I know would laugh in your face for your calling them that. Some of them might even lay you on your ass. Spend a little less time reading Internet propaganda, and actually go out and get to know someone born after 1985. You might just be surprised.

I don't know what part of Maine your people come from, but where I'm from we value community and cooperation above all else. You don't survive a Maine winter without the help and support of your neighbors. When I was sick last year, it was millennials who were there to take care of me, and I'll take them any day of the week over the kind of swaggering middle-aged blowhards who can only parrot catchphrases and "talking points" they picked up in some stinking online gutter.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Having taught at a major university in a large city, I can assure you that I have likely met as many Millennials as you, and perhaps more.

You are indeed correct about cooperation. But the other end of the deal is for everyone involved to keep calm and carry on -- nobody melts, nobody needs Play Dough, when things get a little rough.

Edit: forgot to reply. I have family along the coast, on one of the islands off the coast, and in south-central Maine. Also friends in north-central.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
My, goodness. I am taken aback!

Is this some kind of come-on? ;) If so, I am not interested. I live too far away from you, and besides, I don't feel any warmth coming through.

To be remembered: Not everyone who disagrees with you is necessarily a bad person or an enemy! Best regards -- AF

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I will say, that while people often severely exaggerate the presence of "snowflakes", or whatever you'd like to call them, in modern society, that they do exist. Usually, however, they are few and far in between. I've only met 2 in my 4 years of college, and one of them doesn't even go to my school. My cousin being that latter person. She's not really into the kind of behavior, she doesn't need safe spaces, or whatever, but I do catch her using phrases like "mansplaining" every once in awhile. Her sister is much more moderate when it comes to this, and I think may be the centrist of the three siblings (the brother being a hardline conservative).

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I personally have no problem with people who actually are racist, homophobic or misogynist being labelled as such, even if people who have those negatived traits object to being called out on them. Some use the terms too readily, others object to their use at all.

A great deal of conflict is occasioned by the tendency of "people who actually are racist, homophobic or mysogynist" to be blissfully incognizant of their, er, condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner