Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annoying modern trends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't think that there is any universally agreed definition of racism. Can you provide one?

Conflicting responsibilities are problematic. Evidently, you believe that socializing with someone whom you think is a racist is a worse transgression than ostracizing a parent, a child, or a friend, and that anyone you deem to be a racist should be beaten into the ground socially, so to speak. What school of philosophy gives support for this kind of action? To me, it sounds like a philosophy that is little more than a fig leaf for some seriously dysfunctional behavior, ethics, and relationships.
Racism is one of those things you know when you see it. I'll provide you with some pieces I've heard:
1. Hitler didn't go far enough...
2. They should lynch that...
3. All the kids I teach are going to end up in jail because...

I purposefully didn't finish those sentences with the slurs that were said, you can use your imagination. The first one was said by a doctor, the second by a former colleague, and the third by a kindergarten teacher. I'll admit, I tried with the former colleague, but they never got it.

I'd say I'm pretty confident that anyone who admires the holocaust isn't someone I want to associate with or treat me. And upstanding people don't admire the holocaust.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Racism is one of those things you know when you see it. I'll provide you with some pieces I've heard:
1. Hitler didn't go far enough...
2. They should lynch that...
3. All the kids I teach are going to end up in jail because...

I purposefully didn't finish those sentences with the slurs that were said, you can use your imagination. The first one was said by a doctor, the second by a former colleague, and the third by a kindergarten teacher. I'll admit, I tried with the former colleague, but they never got it.

I'd say I'm pretty confident that anyone who admires the holocaust isn't someone I want to associate with or treat me. And upstanding people don't admire the holocaust.

But this doesn't really address the question. Number (1) is , I would hazard to guess, nearly universally agreed to be racist. But not necessarily so numbers (2) and (3), for various reasons; even though the N-word may have been used as a convenient insult, sentiments (2) and (3) do not necessarily have much to do with the subjects' race. If you are interested, I will try to explain. We are, however, getting pretty far afield, and I am sure that we will never reach agreement.

Added: By the way, I looked at the demographics of Cortland County, NY. Less that one percent of the population is Black. Perhaps the best thing to do is just to keep calm and carry on.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
@all

Don't feed the trolls. ;)

2rxz5ht.gif

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Have tried it.
But I'm too curious and find myself peeking.

And I have no one to blame but myself !

The ignore button is a valuable tool when you realize that all of us have only a finite amount of time in our lives. And nobody will ever go to their grave saying "you know, I really wish I'd spent more time on the Internet casting pearls before swine."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The ignore button is a valuable tool when you realize that all of us have only a finite amount of time in our lives. And nobody will ever go to their grave saying "you know, I really wish I'd spent more time on the Internet casting pearls before swine."

You have a way with words, thoughts, which I find enjoyable.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But this doesn't really address the question. Number (1) is , I would hazard to guess, nearly universally agreed to be racist. But not necessarily so numbers (2) and (3), for various reasons; even though the N-word may have been used as a convenient insult, sentiments (2) and (3) do not necessarily have much to do with the subjects' race. If you are interested, I will try to explain. We are, however, getting pretty far afield, and I am sure that we will never reach agreement.

Added: By the way, I looked at the demographics of Cortland County, NY. Less that one percent of the population is Black. Perhaps the best thing to do is just to keep calm and carry on.
1. Please reread my post. I left off the slurs in all three examples.

2. Without being too personal, you have no idea my relationship with the 1% of the people in my listed county, or if I even work or live in the county or state where I indicated.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Not modern but just as annoying:

Those that play their "music" loud on the road.
Sometimes so loud that the thumping from that
vehicle tends to jar my VW bug slightly to the side.

Although a sudden gust of wind
will do the same.

But that's mother nature!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Well, my county is nearly as homogeneous as that of Dr. Sheeplady. Even so, we see a fair amount of public racism. Battle flags flown from the beds of trucks driven by boys whose ancestors fought in the MVM against the Secesh. Active Militia and KKK groups. That sort of thing. Of course this visible racism exists largely only among the meaner sort, folks with really very little power over their own lives let alone the lives of others. Those who possess considerable social capital (or political or economic power) can seldom be inveigled to say the things which "nice people simply don't say" or to do the things which "nice people don't do", at least in public.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up

will do the same.

I know I've certainly listened to my music too loudly if a song I really like comes on the radio, but I agree the bone rattling bass that comes out of cars these days is a bit much. Though, I may be slightly jealous only because amping that much bass in my car would destroy the speakers.
37309814.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

will do the same.

I hate that, too. Maybe it's because as a kid, I had to sit in my brother's backseat (he drove a '66 SS Chevelle) and listen to Metallica and other heavy metal cranked up on the drive to school. And I was the middle child - by rights I should have been in the passenger seat, but my little brother always snagged it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I know I've certainly listen to my music too loudly if a song I really like comes on the radio, but I agree the bone rattling bass that comes out of cars these days is a bit much. Though, I may be slightly jealous only because amping that much bass in my car would destroy the speakers.

If you haven't already.
Let's hope you don't come across a band called "tinnitus" :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I hate that, too. Maybe it's because as a kid, I had to sit in my brother's backseat (he drove a '66 SS Chevelle) and listen to Metallica and other heavy metal cranked up on the drive to school. And I was the middle child - by rights I should have been in the passenger seat, but my little brother always snagged it.

I drove a '55 two-tone chevy sedan to high school with five sisters.

A bird shop is nothing compared to what I had to endure on our way to school. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24