Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another article about hats making a comeback

Wal-Mart is right, Shannon. And then it'll go away again as fast as it becomes popular, and then when I'm still wearing my hat 5 years from now people will say, 'that's so aught-aughts.' (or 0 0's or whatever they decide to call this decade)

Funny, I was in JJ's about a month ago and it was CROWDED. I don't think I had ever been there when there were more than three people in the shop. And I thought I did pass a few men wearing better fedoras than the gruesome ones I usually see. Young women are wearing them too, though I've only seen them in the shoddy ones like those of NY Hat. I have always seen older African-Americans wear bowlers/derbies but I have yet to see one on a young man. As I wrote in my post on derbies, the one I just got caused panic attacks in the city.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Uberneot

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
I have always seen older African-Americans wear bowlers/derbies but I have yet to see one on a young man. As I wrote in my post on derbies, the one I just got caused panic attacks in the city.

It's a funny thing about this city; a younger guy in a fedora and trenchcoat or even a suit is just as worth gawking at at any "freak" with a mohawk and 1000 piercings on St. Marks Place. You'd think with the diversity here, people would have better things to do then send guys like us funny looks. I'll admit, sometimes I'm resentful. Most times I just chalk it up to the soul of the city, have a good chuckle and walk on.

matei

One Too Many
It has been quite cold here in London and all sorts of people are wearing fedoras now. Over the weekend I saw about 10 people - all young/young-ish, wearing full-blown fedoras.

Hats are becoming so common that I only got one "Indiana Jones" comment from a middle-eastern gent in traditional (for him) garb.

Usually I get a few "gangster" comments during a weekend, but it really does seem that the hats are coming back in style.

Of course, the downside might be that instead of being labled "gangster", the description will expand to "gangster rapper". :p

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I've not seen many fedoras in my neck of the woods lately, but I have noticed some eight panels lately. Mostly 'cause I think some stars of pop culture have been seen wearing them.

I think I saw the singer 'Usher' wearing a derby on a commercial.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I guess Rogaine isn't all it's cracked up to be:) .

<irony>
It does get discouraging. I have spent no amount of time developing my own individual style only then to see every Tom, Dick, and Harry tag along.

The next thing you know, Bill Gates will be developing hat fashioning software. Just design your own hat, then put a piece of felt into a hatamatron - and out pops your own unique hat.
</irony>

I don't think there's anything to worry about in becoming part of the crowd. The public isn't going to get it 'right' anyway. They don't know how to put everything together. Wearing a fedora with jeans doesn't make one stylish, and that's what it's going to be. Having gotten ridiculous comments for twenty years, I'm used to it by now. Or one should think. Just this past Friday I was so astoinshed by the comment of a smart-alecy young girl, that I had to turn around and just say, 'You're a f**king ***hole.' Indeed, she has again proven to me how the world revels in it's own stupidity.

I was walking down the street in my black wool overcoat, a pinstripe suit, and my black fedora when she stared straight at me and said to her friends,

'Look, it's Michael Jackson.'

By far, one of the stupidest comments I have heard from anyone, about anything, in my entire life. And people wonder why I'm a curmudgeon.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
The Mad Hatter said:
I guess Rogaine isn't all it's cracked up to be:) .

<irony>
It does get discouraging. I have spent no amount of time developing my own individual style only then to see every Tom, Dick, and Harry tag along.

The next thing you know, Bill Gates will be developing hat fashioning software. Just design your own hat, then put a piece of felt into a hatamatron - and out pops your own unique hat.
</irony>
I think I will wait for the new iHat from Apple, is surely will not need as much care & feeding and I wll bet it will coordinate very well with a black turtleneck and jeans!

Will the iHat be white?

And what's wrong with looking like Tom, Dick or Harry? Dick Tracy's Fedora and Harry Truman's Open Road are positive icons on this list. I don't know what Tom Dewey liked among hats, but he was known to be a pretty sharp dresser generally.

Of course, Dick Nixon's fedora at Yad Vashem was every bit as memorable as Michael Dukakis's tank driver helmet, albeit without the humor. Frankly, most pictures of Capone look more genial.

Sardou

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The Look!

It sounds like what we have now is folks on the street so to speak wearing fedoras with 2005 "so called " (Sic) fashion. They're only wearing them because one of their idols is wearing them. No, different than 5 gold chains, baggy pants & a polyester ball cap turned backwards. I try to wear the 1940's look on a regular basis hat, shirt, slacks ties of the period, not just "pieces" of the period look I admire so much. Just holding back on wearing vintage for "events" can make the wearer feel like there wearing a costume rather than a style. Excuse my ramble!
Peter ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael