Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another great hat movie.

jpdesign

Vendor
It doesnt have the variety of hats that the Sting does, but every body wears a felt of some type. Also set more in the mid 20s

Last Man Standing, with Bruce Willis. All the action of die hard, set in prohibition with rival gangs in a war over liquor.

Jimmy

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
One of my personal favorites. It's loosely based on a Akira Kurasowa film which, itself, is based on a Hammett novel "Red Harvest". Great hats, great soundtrack from Ry Cooder too!

Spellflower

Practically Family
I saw "Duck You Sucker," and was impressed by the amount of fedoras featured, especially the one worn by James Coburn. Whoever did the costumes on that one really knew their business. The hat is as crooked and full of character as Coburn himself- no easy feat!

hoberman2.jpg

mingoslim

Practically Family
jpdesign said:
Last Man Standing, with Bruce Willis. All the action of die hard, set in prohibition with rival gangs in a war over liquor.
Jimmy

Great film . . . gritty to be sure . . . but a great film none the less.
Not for those who can't handle violence!

As for Red Harvest . . . I had no idea that the movie was based upon Hammet's novel, and if so, it is either very, very loosely based, or my memory is getting faulty . . . either may be the case.

Now I am going to have to read Hammett and watch the film again . . . not that I will mind either task.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Bought this one sight unseen. Bruce Willis in a early '30s western, twingunning along with .45s? Sign me up.

Some of the gunfight dynamics are absurd, but I think you get the idea after Bruce pastes the first guy and sends him flying into the street that this the style, sort of an over-the-top shoot 'em up.

I read Red Harvest long before I saw the movie and loved the novel...didn't realize the heritage until about 1/2 through and was completely sucked in as a result.

mingoslim

Practically Family
5 Day Turn Around . . .

mingoslim said:
Now I am going to have to read Hammett and watch the film again . . . not that I will mind either task.

I was serious . . . I put OFAS to another good use, and in 5 Days I have a copy of Last Man Standing in my hands for under $5 and will be watching it tonight.

I also picked up a 1935 Hammett Omnibus, which includes Red Harvest, and The Maltese Falcon among other stories for $7, which I hope to have this week.

Sometimes it pays to do a search for something asside from Fedoras. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn