Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another hat at work question

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I work on a military base, receiving deliveries, sorting them, then taking them to the proper people in a secure area. I drive a golf cart around to the different buildings, and I'd like to wear my hat, but I don't want to be thought of as rude by wearing it inside. Most of the buildings are either cubicle farms, or long halls with offices to either side. Many of the deliveries are to ladies running the offices, and we do banter a little. everything is pretty casual dress, no hard dresscodes or anything. T's and pants are predominate.

So what do you folks think? I'd like to see some opinions on how strictly I should stick to hat etiquette here. Thanks for the input!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I'd wear my hat.

It sounds like a casual environment, you're coming and going. I would not criticize you for keeping your hat on.

Military bases may be a little different than civilian locals. My son went to a military boarding school & they were real particular about uncovering inside. Not sure how that would translate to you situation. I know lots of delivery folks wear ball caps & never remove them in offices around here.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies so far, thats pretty pretty much what I was thinking would be ok.

I'm a civilian contractor, the actual military presence on base is small. I mostly deliver to programmers, technicians, and office managers, I rarely see the enlisted or NCOs.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fedora Jay said:
Thanks for the replies so far, thats pretty pretty much what I was thinking would be ok.

I'm a civilian contractor, the actual military presence on base is small. I mostly deliver to programmers, technicians, and office managers, I rarely see the enlisted or NCOs.

Wait....you don't work for SuperGlobalHyperMegaCorp too do you?

and yes...that's a semi serious question without naming the actual company.....heh

Dewhurst

Practically Family
People coming and going, dropping off deliveries, asking someone to sign for something, etc., are not usually expected to doff their hats.

rrog

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Military bases may be a little different than civilian locals. My son went to a military boarding school & they were real particular about uncovering inside. Not sure how that would translate to you situation.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was in the Marines. Most of the military types probably view you as a slimy, dirtbag civilian anyway. Whether you uncover or not won't do much to change that attitude. :D

rrog

MCrider

A-List Customer
rrog said:
I wouldn't worry about it. I was in the Marines. Most of the military types probably view you as a slimy, dirtbag civilian anyway. Whether you uncover or not won't do much to change that attitude. :D

rrog

That was too funny rrog! And just for the record, I was in the Air Force and never thought that way about civilians...
well most of the time.
;)

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I've worn hats on military bases as a civilian for years. Trying to convince people heavily indoctrinated with military hat (cover) etiquette that different rules apply to you is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. In those cases, just take off the hat and go along to get along. I'm of a caste that gets an awful lot of leeway on bases, but I still take the hat off when I go into the galley/mess hall or into a building that I know is brass-heavy, just to avoid attracting undue notice and unnecessary conflict. Some uniformed personnel can be forceful about it, especially in those environments. It's not really their fault so much since many of them come from the general American population with no conception of what the rules are for civilians. When they learn the military's rules, some assume those are the rules for everyone, period.

So anyway, I think you'll be fine. Just be courteous if confronted, explain the difference in rules (though mentioning Emily Post to a marine might get you a beatdown :) ), and if that doesn't go over, go ahead and doff the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred