Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Indiana Jones question -- Dr. Belloq's panama

jlmwrite

New in Town
We (finally) screened blu-ray edition of Raiders of the Lost Ark last night, and I was quite taken with Dr. Belloq's white panama.

After searching here, I found a few posts, mostly referring to the tightly curled brim, but no where can I find any mention of a similar style hat in production. I did look in several on-line store fronts but nothing seems to have the unique style or what appears to be a much shorter brim than most panamas.

I'm not able to post a pic due to my post count, but there are a multitude of image around. Does anyone here know of a panama that's close to this one?

Regards!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I did look in several on-line store fronts but nothing seems to have the unique style or what appears to be a much shorter brim than most panamas.

Regards!

That hat was actually most likely a current production hat during the filming of Indiana Jones. By that I mean, I doubt it was actually vintage. I've seen the movie a million times and his hat always seemed out of place to me. The crown was super tapered and short to be a 30's styled panama. The brim width was about right as it was probably about 2 inches or so. The average brim width that was popular during the early 30's was anything from 2 inches to about 2 1/4. They sold wider brims then as well, but 2, 2 1/8, and 2 1/4 werethe most popular. Dr. Belloq's panama just had a really high flange to the brim. If you buy any modern day REAL panama hat and not a Shantung (coated paper) hat, you can have a hatter flange the brim as high as you would like.

jlmwrite

New in Town
Dr. Belloq's panama just had a really high flange to the brim.

A-ha! THAT is exactly what I liked about that hat. I'm not looking for '30s authenticity or to recreate the character -- I just truly liked the way the unique way the brim is flanged, which gives his hat the character that I want in my next panama.

Thanks to all!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
A-ha! THAT is exactly what I liked about that hat. I'm not looking for '30s authenticity or to recreate the character -- I just truly liked the way the unique way the brim is flanged, which gives his hat the character that I want in my next panama.

Thanks to all!

If you want a modern day "off the shelf" panama that I know first hand has a high flange, go with the Stetson Brewster. I bought one for my father and he loves it.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson-brewster-panama-straw-fedora-natural.html

It has a high flange, nice crown thats not too tall, and 2 1/4 - 2 3/8 inch brim. Its also real panama straw woven in Ecuador.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indiana-jones-primer01-2.jpg

raiders-indy-belloq-2.jpg

harrison_ford16.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Are there any Panamas to be found in films like "Casablanca"? Panamas in that film would obviously be more akin to what they would've had in the 1930s.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
David Suchet wears one of those in his "Poirot" films. I think they're really cool, but I wouldn't be able to pull that one off, I don't think. They certainly are neat, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner