Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another pricey hat on eBay

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thank goodness my head's too big...

Looked at this one and the other one from the same seller. Was tempted to throw my -- pardon the pun -- hat into the bidding ring at one point but I'm really a 7-3/4 and not 7-5/8!

The Wingnut said:
Gee, it must be JP's size.

Ya think? :p
The verifiable date and the original box makes it interesting too. I just wanted to get my hands on it to see what it looked like along with the fact that it is my size. I'll call it research.
I have one that I am wearing today in brown. I also have a gray/green so I needed a real gray to wear with my blue Double breasted suit.
The hat is not in hand yet but when I get it I will post a few pictures.

Regards to all,

J

shamus

Suspended
Another Borsalino just sold for 128.00. What's going on? When did hats become so popular to the modern masses? Granted a Borsalino is one fine hat, and is my favorite of all that I own, but over $100 for a 50+ year old hat? I'm just glad I have some already and I don't have to pay that much to own one.

shamus said:
Another Borsalino just sold for 128.00. What's going on? When did hats become so popular to the modern masses? Granted a Borsalino is one fine hat, and is my favorite of all that I own, but over $100 for a 50+ year old hat? I'm just glad I have some already and I don't have to pay that much to own one.

It really depends on the size and style. If it is a 6 7/8 then it will be cheap because very few people have a head that size but there is an abundance of them running around in the market. Vintage hats are not exactly running over in sizes over 7 3/8. Size 7 5/8 is rare as could be in a vintage Borsalino. You just aren't going to find them everyday. If you did then it wouldn't last long anyway because I would have them all. :p
So there is always a market for the large sizes. If that Borsalino was a 7 7/8 it probably would have gone even higher. Not all hats are popular to the masses though. You can pick up a Dobbs in larger sizes for $15 if you look. This is odd since it is my second favorite vintage brand but that is the way the market is. I would also say not to worry---if you are a 6 7/8 up to 7 1/4. These can be picked up for around $20 in the right places. Some one managed to pick up a Dobbs Two Ouncer for 99 cents not long ago! Too bad it was waaaaayyyy to small for me. ;) The deals are out there but if you come up to a popular hat in a popular size then you better be prepared to pay. ;)

Regards to all,

J

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I went to an outdoor store and saw a cheap wool fedora for $45.00, went to a men's store and saw a poorly made fur felt fedora for $245.00. Go to ebay and get a fantastic vintage fedora for anywhere from $30.00 to $200. I'll take ebay anyday.

Nice find JP, I'd like to see some pics of it shaped and on your noggin when you get it.

fedoralover

Sefton said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever found a true vintage fedora in 7 7/8? Did the men with big heads take their hats with them to the grave? [huh]

No, men didn't take them to the grave but a hat at that size during the golden era would just get thrown aside because there were very few people with heads that size. Now 6 7/8 are thrown aside because very few people have that size head. I suppose they are good for kids though. :p I recently even saw a 6 5/8. Waaaaaayyyy small. :p Its funny if you really think about it. Go back to your grandfather and find out his head size. Then find your father's and then look at yours. It will usually get bigger as the generations progress---unless your grandfather was the 7 7/8 "freak" of the golden era. :p
For instance, my grandfather was a 6 7/8. My father was between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. I am a 7 5/8. That is a difference of six head sizes in three generations! My granfather on my mother's side poses a different case. He was a "freak" at 7 3/8 in the 1920s. My mother was about the same size. So there is only a gain of two head sizes there.
As for finding vintage hats in big sizes like 7 7/8; ask Canadave. He has some great 7 7/8 hats that certainly vintage. They are great lookers too. In great condition for their age. He could probably make a fortune if he sold those now. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You forgot to mention this pricey hat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8339463287

That is a little bit more than I am willing to pay for a Homburg. :p

I thought that one was interesting. I believe it is similar in
design to a Cavanagh I own. Note that the edge is not wide
like a homburg, but it is not as flat as a fedora's edge is usually sewn.

The one I have that appears to be the same thing is very stiff and
thin felt, not much like other Cavs I own (that thick, soft felt... aaahhh).
Note that the sweat band isn't as swank as "Cavanagh Edge" sweats.
I concluded it was a 1960s take on an older style.

But which style? I took mine and creased it to be a fedora, which
it seems to be happy with... as happy as it is as a homburg. It's really
not quite either one. But it's willing to take whatever I give it, in
its stiff-but-bendable way.

In any event, it's probably my least favorite Cavanagh, and while I
do wear it casually, I would not pursue another in that style. Whatever
style that might be.

feltfan said:
I thought that one was interesting. I believe it is similar in
design to a Cavanagh I own. Note that the edge is not wide
like a homburg, but it is not as flat as a fedora's edge is usually sewn.

The one I have that appears to be the same thing is very stiff and
thin felt, not much like other Cavs I own (that thick, soft felt... aaahhh).
Note that the sweat band isn't as swank as "Cavanagh Edge" sweats.
I concluded it was a 1960s take on an older style.

But which style? I took mine and creased it to be a fedora, which
it seems to be happy with... as happy as it is as a homburg. It's really
not quite either one. But it's willing to take whatever I give it, in
its stiff-but-bendable way.

In any event, it's probably my least favorite Cavanagh, and while I
do wear it casually, I would not pursue another in that style. Whatever
style that might be.

Yeah, the sixties Cavanaghs were not the same as the older ones. The one up for auction is not a sixties Cavanagh but a late 50's vintage. I don't particularly like them either because they are not the same as their 1940s brethren.
Three things to notice quickly. The brim is not crisply and tightly rolled. The ribbon is barely covering the edge of the brim and the liner does not have the coffin pleats like the 40s Cavanagh Homburgs. All of this makes a difference to me.
My friend just scored a 40s homburg from a local shop here for $80. That was a far better deal--in my opinion anyway. The auctioned homburg was a 7 5/8 homburg though and they do cost far more than that in the stores. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany