Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antietam and Gettysburg

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
I'll be visiting the American Civil War battlefields in Sharpsburg, MD., and Gettysburg, PA. in a week. While I will be bringing my Federal Forage Cap
IMG_1437.jpg
for bumming around the battlefields, I'm not sure what other hat to bring. Akubra Capricorn? Vintage lightweight felt?(my Champ comes to mind) Panama? What do other loungers wear day/night this time of year in the DC area? (Or elsewhere if you want to share!) Thanks for any opinions!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tampahound said:
I'll be visiting the American Civil War battlefields in Sharpsburg, MD., and Gettysburg, PA. in a week. While I will be bringing my Federal Forage Cap
IMG_1437.jpg
for bumming around the battlefields, I'm not sure what other hat to bring. Akubra Capricorn? Vintage lightweight felt?(my Champ comes to mind) Panama? What do other loungers wear day/night this time of year in the DC area? (Or elsewhere if you want to share!) Thanks for any opinions!
Straw or Panama definitely, and I live in the general area. Dress for summer!

vintage68

Practically Family
Off topic but still relevant, I took a horseback tour of Gettysburg about two years ago and I highly recommend it. Even though the tour is horses strung out in a line "nose to tail," you'll get a look of the battlefield that most regular tourists don't get. For example, you'll go past a barn where a cannonball went through the roof and it was never repaired. Big darn hole too! Just seeing that hole gives you an visceral appreciation of the battle that you just won't get from regular tours.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vintage68 said:
Off topic but still relevant, I took a horseback tour of Gettysburg about two years ago and I highly recommend it. Even though the tour is horses strung out in a line "nose to tail," you'll get a look of the battlefield that most regular tourists don't get. For example, you'll go past a barn where a cannonball went through the roof and it was never repaired. Big darn hole too! Just seeing that hole gives you an visceral appreciation of the battle that you just won't get from regular tours.
I had no idea that was available. I'll try it. How much?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The horse tour sounds like fun. I'll have to look into it.

Having been to G-Burg in summer, I can honestly say - the cooler the better in choice of clothing and hats. The Capricorn would probably be best, as it will repel some water should it rain. That place is a roaster, to be sure. The second time I went, we tried to outsmart the heat by waiting until October. What happened? Freak Heat Wave; 90+ degrees! :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also off topic. My only trip to Gettysburg was in 1959, but I remember it so vividly it could have been last week. What a great place. Now that I've learned the basic story of the battle much better, I'd love to see the place again. I imagine a lot has changed in over 50 years.
I'd also like to see the Eisenhower home. Me big Ike fan.

indycop said:
I think that dark blue Kepi would be too hot. Maybe a nice "gray" one instead.:rolleyes: :D
The last time I was there was over July 4th weekend during the 125th Anniversary in FULL wools of the CSA. That gray did help some I am sure but so little I couldn't tell. I wore a slouch hat from an old Stetson Open Road to help keep some of the sun off me. Made the front page of a local paper with my hat on my bayonet to cast more shade. Need to scan that one in someday...

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I second the horseback tour. I did it two years ago. They have an audio tour that goes with it. You wear a set of headphones, and get a 'guided tour' that's been pre-recorded.

There's something about hearing the Garryowen, when you're mounted up and heading for Little Round Top, that will give you goosebumps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot