Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any Marines out there?

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Hello folks!

Well, my insanely busy schedule here at bible college has precluded me from posting very much on these boards, but it is my sincere desire that I can perhaps find some time very soon to post some more. I am writing today because I have been reconsidering my education here. My police job did not work out (for various reasons...but for the purposes of this post I was not rejected). I am considering becoming a USMC officer. I would, if I follow this path, be very interested in aviation and it seems that the Marine Corps is the only branch to offer an aviation contract. What does it take to be a USMC aviator (or just a military aviator in general)? What traits would predispose a person to make a better aviator? I am 5'5"...is that too short? Any advice wouldbe greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! Gotta love being a recent college graduate and not knowing what to do with your life...:)

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I can only speak to Naval Aviation...

My military service was during the latter part of the Vietnam era. It was possible to qualify for aviation training in either the Navy or Marines.

Keep in mind that the aviation "contract" is rigorous. Many apply, many also wash out. You can check with a local ROTC unit to see what your options are. If you have investigated this at all, you've probably already discovered that the recruiting offices aren't really equipped to talk to you about officer programs. The ROTC units are.

ROTC is a pretty good way to go, and if you qualify, they will make at least a modest contribution to your education; but you'll be committed to service.

Another way to go might be to apply as an Aviation Officer Candidate. That gives you your shot at being a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer. If you elect the Marine option; well, those guys get "special" treatment from the Drill Instructors, as they are also Marines.

ROTC will be able to give you much more up-to-date info than I have.
Good luck!

WH1

Practically Family
Talk to the Marine Officer Selection Officer (OSO) on your campus or look in the yellow pages. He will be able to explain the programs and the process for becoming a Marine Officer and specifically a Marine Pilot. If you are a college graduate you will be attending the 10 week officer program at Quantico, Virginia. You need to be very physically fit. Current Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test is a timed 3 mile run (18 minutes or less for max 100 points) Pullups (20 dead hang for max 100 points) crunches (100 in 2 minutes for max 100 points) 300 points possible. The better you do on the PFT, the better chance you have of succeeding as a Marine, 250 or better should be your goal for your initial PFT at OCS and plan on improving it.

5'5" is not too short, 90% of the military is mental not physical. If you want it enough you will succeed. One thing to keep in mind, the flight contract is not always a guarantee that you will become a pilot. The Marine Corps is first and formost about the infantry, everything else is just support. In the Marine Corps every Marine is a rifleman first. You may have the guarantee and decide you want to go ground. Good Luck!

mikepara

Practically Family
Hope I'm not reading too much into the 'Bible College' but what about USMC Chaplain department. I'm sure there's such a thing. It's amazing how many find God in a foxhole!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
6StringShooter said:
Hello folks!
Gotta love being a recent college graduate and not knowing what to do with your life...:)

start thinking about death, if you want to soljer. Like your own,
then make an informed decision on your life. Pardon my bluntness.
(Combat Veteran)

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
mikepara said:
Hope I'm not reading too much into the 'Bible College' but what about USMC Chaplain department. I'm sure there's such a thing. It's amazing how many find God in a foxhole!

The Marines don't actually have chaplains. We get ours from the Navy, just like we do the docs.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're going to fly military you're going to need to totally be one with math.
th_usmcflagwaving1.gif

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I went to aircrew school, which is right across the street from Navy OCS. We used to sit across the way and laugh when they came running out of the barracks to the tune of a morning loving Marine drill instructor. Just wait until a squirrel runs in their path, they'd stop on the spot and salute, and boom off "Good morning squirrel"! It was pretty hilarious.
We'd all get dropped in the street too. Our instructors would come out and see us laughing, drop us in the street, then when the OCS instructors saw them gawking at us, they'd drop them to!lol It's a mental game.

As far as Marine aircrew, I got along with most of them more than the Sailors. Really good group of guys.

Good luck whatever decision you make, and be ready for years more of schooling. How's your eyesight by the way?

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Thank you all so much for the advice! I have spoken to a Marine Officer recruiter already and he basically told me that I need to drop some weight :D That is my first step. He gave me those very same requirements, WH1, and told me to "get to it". Awesome :)
So Twitch, there's a lot of math involved? Are you talking about Algebra kind of math or like Calculus 2 kind of math?
Dan, my eyesight is 20/15 in both eyes :eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran