Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any "new" old radios out there in Fedoraville?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
UH34D said:
...I guess I have to find someone who has experience in old time capacitors?...

You're welcome UH34D, no problem.

Replacing capacitors (aka condensor) is a very common procedure in tube radio repair - not a problem for people who restore them, and sometimes, even for novices. They just cut out the old ones and then re-hook and solder in modern ones that have equivalent or slightly higher power rating. The older capacitors you will commonly see are usually small cardboard tubes with wax, but there are other types in there that probably need servicing as well.

Some radio purists will even keep the shell of the old capacitor and wrap it over the new one to make it appear old. Unless you're repairing the radio you most likely will never see them anyways, they're all underneath the chassis.

Even if some of the old capacitors still seem to work it's best to replace them all, they're bound to fail soon anyways. Radio service people nicknamed this repair a "re-cap".

Here's what the cardboard ones look like, when clipped out:
Radio_10_600.jpg

*Notice the number values on the side of the capacitor, .05 MFD.
MFD = Microfarad (One unit of capacitance)

K

kpreed

Even if some of the old capacitors still seem to work it's best to replace them all, they're bound to fail soon anyways. Radio service people nicknamed this repair a "re-cap"
I totally agree! I have done"Old Radios" for 40+ years and I have seen what can happen (including a fire). Get them done even if the radio works fine.

Flivver

Practically Family
When replacing capacitors in an old radio, be sure to observe the correct polarity when installing the new capacitor. Many small capacitors and all electrolytics have a plus and a minus terminal. Installing them backward will lead to quick failure and possible damage to other components.

I learned this the hard way when repairing my first old radio at age 15. I installed a power supply input capacitor backwards. I was elated when the formerly non-working radio sprang to life after my servicing efforts. But my elation lasted only about 30 seconds until I heard a loud sizzling sound, the plates of the rectifier tube turned cherry red and the program I was listening to disappeared. Fortunately I pulled the plug immediately! Had I not, I would have burned up the power transformer and possibly started a fire. As it was, the electrolytic capacitor that failed spit it's guts all over the bottom of the chassis creating quite a mess.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
Flivver said:
When replacing capacitors in an old radio, be sure to observe...
I would listen to Filvver, he seems like an old school radio dude that knows his bussiness, *tips hat to Flivver*, but not to distract from conversation here is my latest aqusition I bought less then an hour ago at a yard sale ... It is a post war philco. I am still working on the reasearch ...

2787819960_1281863bb4.jpg

For Five bucks you never seen a happier boy!

2787819968_93395baa2a.jpg

Plus on top of that I pick up a copy of “ The Radio Amateur’s Handbook“ from 1926 and a 1937 Westinghouse electrical apparatus and supplies catalogue. Yeah, I am having a little electrical party unto my self! I won’t even begin to try to explain the first edition Zane Grey and Edgar Rice Burrows novels that were included in the mix. For the money spent, Luke is the Happy Happy Boy! :D

Flivver

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliment Luke!

Your 1926 Radio Amateur's Handbook is a real find. Handbooks from the 1920s seldom appear anymore. Hang on to that one.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Fleetwood Transistor Six "Globe" Novelty Radio

Fleetwood_Globe_Radio001.jpg

Fleetwood_Globe_Radio002.jpg

This radio is a bit of a mystery. It's been around in my family since new - my dad got it for my grandmother for Christmas "way back when." I'm vague on the date because my grandmother thinks Dad bought it for her when they lived in Japan (c. 1955-1958), but the collectors guides say it should be from the early 1960s.

I remember listening to it/playing with it as a little kid. It's been in the dank basement of my grandmother's house since she moved to my hometown and as such I have no idea what condition it's in. I had to pry a corroded mess of AA batteries out of the bottom, however, so I'm nervous. The plan is to clean up the battery area, pop some new AA's in her and see what happens.

Edit: I just realized I might have caused some confusion by taking this picture atop my modern-but-retro radio/turntable. I'm talking about the globe radio, not the wooden cabinet beneath.

-Dave

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Just picked up a '34 Atwater Kent 145 on the 'Bay for $66...this will be the oldest radio in my collection, which consists mainly of 1940s to early 1960s-era sets.

1593_1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Magic eye or tuning eye -- it's a little cathode ray tube used as a tuning meter. The dark shadow changes width as stations are tuned in, and when it's at its narrowest, the station is correctly tuned. These were introduced in 1935, and were still being used on television sets well into the sixties.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Magic eye or tuning eye -- it's a little cathode ray tube used as a tuning meter. The dark shadow changes width as stations are tuned in, and when it's at its narrowest, the station is correctly tuned. These were introduced in 1935, and were still being used on television sets well into the sixties.

That's pretty cool. I'm assuming that was a feature on the more expensive models?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
That's pretty cool. I'm assuming that was a feature on the more expensive models?

Well, lower priced makes such as Silvertone, Airline and others offered tuning eyes... the term "Magic Eye" is RCA's name for it... along with the "Magic Brain" record changer.

I have a few radios with green tuing eyes... funny thing, PHILCO never had tuning eyes on any of their models.

By the way, your RCA table top is the same model that Bogart has in his office in "The Maltese Falcon" from 1941... I think RCA made that model into 42 and just after the war changing only the dial detail some. Cabinet wise, same radio... and I'm sure the chassis is the same.

Many have seen most of my radios... so, I'll let you all share and I'll enjoy watching. ;)

Flivver

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Well, lower priced makes such as Silvertone, Airline and others offered tuning eyes... the term "Magic Eye" is RCA's name for it... along with the "Magic Brain" record changer.

I have a few radios with green tuing eyes... funny thing, PHILCO never had tuning eyes on any of their models.

;)

Philco and RCA were in a bitter rivalry in the 1930s, kind of like GM and Ford. I believe the 6E5 tuning eye was an RCA invention...like metal tubes. I don't believe Philco ever made a metal tube set either...preferring to use glass tubes with metal shield cans. Philco always tried to stay away from features pioneered by RCA.

Philco began using a shadowmeter as a tuning indicator around 1933. Not as flashy as the Magic Eye, but it worked.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Although they are very pretty in a classic radio, these tuning eye tubes are essentially a useless gimmick. Invented to better sell "high end" radios at a time when it was difficult to sell anything - the great depression.

Really, if you can't tell a strong station by ear than you are probably severely hearing impaired and most likely won't be listening to a radio anyways. [huh]
And once you've tuned in the station, it stays on..... and on, with no further use. With constant listening, the bright green colour of the tube fades out quickly.

If you frequently use a radio that has an eye tube, it's best to unplug the tube from it's base until company comes over to your house and you want to show them how an eye tube looks when operating. Saves you money. (btw, This doesn't mean I don't love seeing them, they're very cool!)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
By the way, your RCA table top is the same model that Bogart has in his office in "The Maltese Falcon" from 1941... I think RCA made that model into 42 and just after the war changing only the dial detail some. Cabinet wise, same radio... and I'm sure the chassis is the same.

Wow, I had no idea I had the same model as featured in the movie. I just looked up screenshots and realized it. Sort of a fascinating coincidence. I simply bought that one because I love the design of it.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:
R.T., those are great. I love the Atwater Kent,can you tell me a little about it? Is this a difficult radio to find and if you don't mind my asking how much would one cost? My wife and I are buying a 1924 bungalow and it would be great to have a 20s radio in the living room. Please feel free to PM me if you'd rather give info privately. Thanks! Sefton

The AK 20 is a pretty common set. These three-dial sets from the 1920's take a bit of a "knack' to tune properly, bit once one learns how they perform suprisingly well.

These are "battery sets". Before the development of special AC tubes, in the late 1920's, most radios were powered by 2 or 3 batteries, the "A" battery, a 6 volt storage battery which would light the filaments of the tubes, the "B" battery, generally a box containing between thirty and sixty D cells, to provide the 90 volts for the plates of the tubes, and a "C" battery, to provide grid bias.

Restored sets of this type are not too expensive. I generally sell an "as new" three-dial set, with tubes and horn loudspeaker for between $300.00 and $500.00, depending upon the set's rarity. The Atwater Kent model 20 would fall at the low end of this range. Modern power supplies are available which are silent, reliable, and eliminate the need for batteries. The best of these units cost $150.00, although there us a power supply which would be perfectly satisfactory for use with the Atwater Kent 20 which is available for only about $75.00.

If you are interested in these 1920's radios, please feel free to e-mail me at viva-tonal (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Bought three more old radios - Still addicted to them. But, I guess at least I'm going smaller now and not buying console radios! :)
Here's the two I've had the chance to take photos of so far:

2908128035_61e62ae503.jpg

c.1940 Crosley, model J13

Both aren't in perfect shape, but I plan to remedy that soon - I've already fixed a couple of cracks.
The Crosley works, the GE doesn't - I really don't care if they do or not, they both will get standard electrical safety fixes (eg: new capacitors) anyways.

2909069380_8d41a8e51f.jpg

1941 General Electric "The Commentator", model KL-52 (not cleaned yet in this pic.)

Measuring 8 inches wide by 5 inches high by 4 inches deep, this G.E. is the smallest tube radio in my collection.
G.E. started making them in 1939 and kept cranking them out with the same design for years after.

Will post the third (last) radio soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24