Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Vintage Lighter Collectors Out There?

Levallois

Practically Family
I obtained a flip-arm lighter that has MEB in a triangle, US patent 1022140, Ambassador and Chromium Plate on the bottom. No other marks anywhere. The internet info that I can find seems to suggest this is an Austrian lighter from the 1930s but that's all I can find out. It's very art deco looking and matches my cigarette case perfectly but I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

MEBLighter.jpg

MEBLighter2.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
Mickey D,

Nice collection! Are any of them made by MEB? I'm coming up Bupkis for any more info. on the internet.

John

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Not familiar with MEB. Most in my collection are Ronson or Evans.
I have a good book on lighters you can pick up at Borders, The Big Book of Cigarette Lighters, Identification and Values by James Flanagan.
I'll go through it to see if I can find any info on MEB.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Levallois said:
Dinerman,

Those advertisement lighters are nice! What do they date to?

John

The 2nd one would be '50s, going by the design of the Little Tavern pictured. The Zippo is probably earlier, also going by the design of the building and sign.

CollierCollectionphotocopyrightM-65.jpg

CollierCollectionphotocopyrightM-72.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who finds it odd that, as a nonsmoker, I collect lighters? :rolleyes:

Here are a few that I recently found in an antique mall in Yucaipa, Ca. I have several others that I'll post later.

An all brass Penquin lighter (made in Japan):
762842848_ZFUq2-XL.jpg

An Evans:
762842821_zjFbD-XL.jpg

My favorite of the three; an ASR:
762842763_HTLHM-XL.jpg

An earlier find is this pelican ashtray. The lighter behind it is a Berkeley Director:
563778883_VfV3C-XL.jpg

Here's a better look at the Berkeley:
777043397_UT7xs-XL.jpg

Lee

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My Ronson "Princess" with a previous owner's name engraved, manufactured in Newark, New Jersey. This model was introduced in 1929 and is still in production (I believe). Mine is in amazingly good condition but was non-functional upon receipt. I spent an hour of on-the-job-training taking it apart, diagnosing the problem, fixing it, and reassembling. It now works flawlessly.

IMG_0153crop.jpg

IMG_0163crop.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Some folks get itchy feet when they sit for too long, but I like my down time just fine, thanks. Besides, I had a very important project underway involving fifty-two of my closest friends and the buff-colored fedora parked upside-down on the chair six feet from my desk. It was the last week of April, and for the next seven months or so I planned on staying indoors during the heat of the day whenever I wasn’t working. And I wasn’t working. The tracks in the carpet from the night shift cleaning service’s Hoover were already twelve hours old and the prints from my camel and brown saddle shoes were the only things disturbing them so far.

In spite of the heat, another slow day meant I’d be venturing out to visit Angel at his usual booth down at the Crystal Palace to see about a short-term loan, followed by a half-dozen other stops around town: one to the landlord to make sure that my key would still fit in the door in five days, a few others to keep certain wheels greased, and finally a quick visit at the tobacco shop.

The wick in my Ronson “Pal” cigarette case had burned to the nub, and I figured I may as well grab a Plastikit accessory box just to be safe. The little Bakelite box was shaped like a pocket lighter, with a picture of an Indian chief on the front, and it slid open to reveal five “redskin” Ronson flints, a spark wheel cleaning brush, a wire inserting tool for the wick, and of course the wick itself.

I had received the brown and tortoise enamel case from a client years ago in partial payment for services rendered, and although I hadn’t bought it from Norm’s shop he was more than happy to keep it in tip-top shape for me. When he was finished doing what he did best, I slipped the lighter along with the little accessory kit into my pocket, minus the wick and one new flint, and drove back to the office.

Ensconced back at my walk-up suite, I closed the shutters to keep out the afternoon sun, and returned to my previous business. The next card off the deck was the king of hearts, the man who had taken the easy way out, and as I sailed him toward his compatriots in the old hat, I wondered if His Highness had known something that I didn’t.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Nice. I just picked up one of the Pelican ashtrays. It is smaller than the other one I have like this from my FIL. It has some other bird.

Levallois

Practically Family
Wow! Nice Dunhill. My brother in law has one of these from the 1960s that I've always coveted. I didn't realize the design goes back into the 1930s. Thanks for sharing.

John

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
A Dunhill Rollagas that I picked up not long ago. I listed it for sale, but I think I'm gonna keep it instead. A local guy that works on Dunhill's said it's a 70's.
It's amazing that the rollalite/rollagas design has remained essentially unchanged this long.
dunhill3.jpg

dunhill4.jpg

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
HHISIII said:
A Dunhill Rollagas that I picked up not long ago. I listed it for sale, but I think I'm gonna keep it instead. A local guy that works on Dunhill's said it's a 70's.
It's amazing that the rollalite/rollagas design has remained essentially unchanged this long.
dunhill3.jpg

dunhill4.jpg
It makes sense though, why spend a fortune trying to reinvent the wheel?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Zippos

Do you have Zippo: an American Legend a Collector's Companion by Avi R. Baer and Alex Neumark? (MJF Books, NYC, 1999).

I have a collection of 1940s match books. Does that count?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy