Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody know about hillside leather jacket?

edqc

New in Town
horsehide jacket with good price. but dont know if is made by veg-tanned leather can aging for fading. here i post two pics

Attachments

• 5555H-2.jpg
    5555H-2.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 596
  • 5573-2.jpg
    5573-2.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 683
Unlikely their jackets are veg tanned but so far I haven't heard any really negative things about them, other than some subjective opinions on the leather finish. I've no doubts they make quality motorcycle jackets, though. They aren't cheap at all, though. Almost right there with Schott. That camo Perfecto, though... I don't know if that's the meanest jacket I've ever seen, or the lamest.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
horsehide jacket with good price. but dont know if is made by veg-tanned leather can aging for fading. here i post two pics
I have one of their jackets, it is very good. Write to them and ask your questions. They did my jacket custom, and had a variety of leather choices.

pak

One of the Regulars
I have a basic vest in HH and a Jean jacket in cowhide. I'm reasonably certain these are not veg tanned. I find their products well made, with quality materials and the prices reasonable. Their products are targeted for the motorcycle sector(not a bad thing). I recommend them. Take a look and talk with their staff for details.

edqc

New in Town
I have a basic vest in HH and a Jean jacket in cowhide. I'm reasonably certain these are not veg tanned. I find their products well made, with quality materials and the prices reasonable. Their products are targeted for the motorcycle sector(not a bad thing). I recommend them. Take a look and talk with their staff for details.
if they are chrome tanned, does it means the inside leather is the same color as the surface finish. which means it is not suitable for fading.is it a very heavy jacket compare with schott brand

pak

One of the Regulars
My Hillside Jean jacket is currently in the possession of a nephew. I looked at the vest, however there are no exposed edges. All edges are rolled, the pockets lined as is the vest. As to wear on chrome tanning, I cannot help you there as my jackets get very little wear. I find leather jackets have a very narrow comfort range. Too hot with any activity and cool just sitting around. I enjoy the jackets I have(including an Eastman, Goodwear, and Johnson) for the quality pieces they are and represent. Chrome or veg tanning? This question can only be answered by you and your desires in a leather product. Both are employed by quality makers of leather jackets. Each tanning method has advantages and disadvantages depending on subjective and objective measures. It appears you are at the top of the slide in the discovery of leather jackets. Do your research, ask the manufacturers questions and enjoy the ride. Hillside jackets are not a bad place to start as is Schott, Fox creek and many others.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unlikely their jackets are veg tanned but so far I haven't heard any really negative things about them, other than some subjective opinions on the leather finish. I've no doubts they make quality motorcycle jackets, though. They aren't cheap at all, though. Almost right there with Schott. That camo Perfecto, though... I don't know if that's the meanest jacket I've ever seen, or the lamest.
I don't know if I'd compare them price-wise with Schott. That company's prices have been edging up to and beyond the $1000.00 mark for the last few years while Hillside's prices remain in the $500-600 range, with some jackets in the $400-500 range. I always find their site very tempting. Schott's been cashing in on their history, real or imagined, in order to enter the fashion market, while Hillside remains a pretty hardcore biker outfit.

edqc

New in Town
Thanks pak, as u have both horsehide and cowhide hillside products. do u think the horsehide is much worth than the cowhide to buy? i concern if the cowhide is much heavier than the horsehide
and also the grain is the key.

edqc

New in Town
also compare with schott cowhide jacket, these two brands run the same size?

pak

One of the Regulars
Edgc, my stuff from Hillside is several years old. Sources for materials can change. At this point, may I suggest you contact the jacket makers that interest you, ask your questions, ask for a leather sample of each color and species and then you will have all the pieces of the puzzle in place for a prospective purchase. The makers are your best resource for their jackets. I have never handled a Schott.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
I loved the look of that Hillside Bison but couldn't afforded it and ordered the Steerhide version in belt less for $368. Got it made and sent to me in 2 weeks.
I've only had it 4 days but I love it!! Fits perfectly , and looks fantastic. Super quality stuff.
Excellent service! My just bought Irish Tweed from Donegal sets it off nicely.
I think I'll get a distressed leather Irish Gatsby to match it and Coach Nappa gloves.
I WAS going to wear it on my motorcycle but it looks too sharp to get bug splatter on it!
Highly recommended.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I was just going through some stuff today, cleaning out some old papers, and happened to find the samples that Hillside sent me when I was deciding between horsehide, naked leather, and their top grain cowhide.

I ended up going with naked leather, but I asked them to use 1.8mm on mine, as I felt 1.6mm was too thin. I really wanted something HEAVY. The horse sample I have is a wee bit thinner than the naked leather sample.

In terms of finish, they were all very similar, the naked leather had a bit more grain to it, the horse being the smoothest.

edqc

New in Town
can u give me you jacket measurement to refer?
i have cowhide jacket of schott. is these two brands run the same size?
is your jacket too heavy for daily wear?

edqc

New in Town
I loved the look of that Hillside Bison but couldn't afforded it and ordered the Steerhide version in belt less for $368. Got it made and sent to me in 2 weeks.
I've only had it 4 days but I love it!! Fits perfectly , and looks fantastic. Super quality stuff.
Excellent service! My just bought Irish Tweed from Donegal sets it off nicely.
I think I'll get a distressed leather Irish Gatsby to match it and Coach Nappa gloves.
I WAS going to wear it on my motorcycle but it looks too sharp to get bug splatter on it!
Highly recommended.
can u give me you jacket measurement to refer?
i have cowhide jacket of schott. is these two brands run the same size?
is your jacket too heavy for daily wear?

edqc

New in Town
I was just going through some stuff today, cleaning out some old papers, and happened to find the samples that Hillside sent me when I was deciding between horsehide, naked leather, and their top grain cowhide.

I ended up going with naked leather, but I asked them to use 1.8mm on mine, as I felt 1.6mm was too thin. I really wanted something HEAVY. The horse sample I have is a wee bit thinner than the naked leather sample.

In terms of finish, they were all very similar, the naked leather had a bit more grain to it, the horse being the smoothest.
is this brand jacket good for age fading?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
is this brand jacket good for age fading?
I don't know, I've only had it two years.

It's very heavy, but I could wear daily if I wanted to. It just depends on what you want, and to some extent, the climate you live in.

Mine is a size 46, and fit me well. I normally wear a 42 or 44, so they seem to run a bit small. I didn't need to get the sleeves a couple inches shorter. They sent me a fit jacket to try out, which is what I would recommend you do rather than go off of my measurements.

edqc

New in Town
I don't know, I've only had it two years.

It's very heavy, but I could wear daily if I wanted to. It just depends on what you want, and to some extent, the climate you live in.

Mine is a size 46, and fit me well. I normally wear a 42 or 44, so they seem to run a bit small. I didn't need to get the sleeves a couple inches shorter. They sent me a fit jacket to try out, which is what I would recommend you do rather than go off of my measurements.
i am in china, i do not think they will send me a jacket to try out . but my choice is same as yours , gonna go for one size up.
it would be very nice for you if u can weigh your jacket. if it is heavy like a armor i d rather quit

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
i am in china, i do not think they will send me a jacket to try out . but my choice is same as yours , gonna go for one size up.
it would be very nice for you if u can weigh your jacket. if it is heavy like a armor i d rather quit
Understood. I can measure mine, but as it was custom made for me, it may not be useful to you to know their standard sizing. Also since I specifically asked for them to use thicker leather than they normally offer, I don't think that the weight of my jacket will help you much, either.

But from memory I thought my fit jacket was about a typical weight for a motorcycle jacket, just felt thinner than I wanted. (I was trying to replace a super heavy jacket that I had lost,which I had never thought to weigh, but I'd guess easily weighed in excess of 7-8 lbs.) You'd be better off getting measurements and weight directly from them than by going by mine.

All I can say is that they did good work on my jacket, did custom things that I requested that they normally don't do, it is well made, and they were good to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters