Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody know about hillside leather jacket?

edqc

New in Town
Understood. I can measure mine, but as it was custom made for me, it may not be useful to you to know their standard sizing. Also since I specifically asked for them to use thicker leather than they normally offer, I don't think that the weight of my jacket will help you much, either.

But from memory I thought my fit jacket was about a typical weight for a motorcycle jacket, just felt thinner than I wanted. (I was trying to replace a super heavy jacket that I had lost,which I had never thought to weigh, but I'd guess easily weighed in excess of 7-8 lbs.) You'd be better off getting measurements and weight directly from them than by going by mine.

All I can say is that they did good work on my jacket, did custom things that I requested that they normally don't do, it is well made, and they were good to work with.
they told me the typical jacket around 7 lbs. I really concern if it is true would be to heavy to wear everyday

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
they told me the typical jacket around 7 lbs. I really concern if it is true would be to heavy to wear everyday

Mine weighs around 9-10 lbs. Just weighed it. If they say their typical jacket weighs around 7lbs, I believe it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
What jacket you got? How's the leather

Custom design, a cross between their basic biker and the the belted version, in heavy naked cowhide leather, with leather lined pockets and three inside pockets, and four external pockets (handwarmer, diagonal chest pocket, coin pocket).

I think the leather is pretty darn good. It isn't as stiff as horween FQHH and has a softer hand to it, but the quality is excellent. I guess after all this talk I should probably post pics. I'll have to wait for good sunlight, which is a challenge this time of year...

edqc

New in Town
Custom design, a cross between their basic biker and the the belted version, in heavy naked cowhide leather, with leather lined pockets and three inside pockets, and four external pockets (handwarmer, diagonal chest pocket, coin pocket).

I think the leather is pretty darn good. It isn't as stiff as horween FQHH and has a softer hand to it, but the quality is excellent. I guess after all this talk I should probably post pics. I'll have to wait for good sunlight, which is a challenge this time of year...
i doubted their typical jacket around 7lbs as i used to have a schott 141L , that is the heaviest jacket i have ,but it only weigh 5.5lbs.
by the way,did u order their FQHH leather?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
i doubted their typical jacket around 7lbs as i used to have a schott 141L , that is the heaviest jacket i have ,but it only weigh 5.5lbs. by the way,did u order their FQHH leather?

That's not heavy at all for a Motorcycle jacket. Then again, what numeric size are you considering?

As Guppy indicates here, he purchased heavy naked cowhide.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
i doubted their typical jacket around 7lbs as i used to have a schott 141L , that is the heaviest jacket i have ,but it only weigh 5.5lbs.
by the way,did u order their FQHH leather?
I find that a lot of Schott jackets are made from a leather that to me feels thin and light. Not all, but a lot.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Here are some photos of my Hillside USA custom:

ffb963bd075ad9fe222c219e7113dd91.jpg
d59029a8fabd70258eb0e78a4f96b9ea.jpg
623a59a6a10d52c3b7f126ecae182639.jpg
40157de2000f8ca741dfeb027541305a.jpg

A couple other notes:

I requested plain antique brass snaps, not hidden snaps or snap heads with their logo on them. I think it makes it look better to be plain.

The side laces and zipper pulls are my own rawhide lace. I didn't care for the style of the laces that they provided, which looked like they were fashioned from scraps from the hide(s) used to make the body. The zipper pulls were ok, just not the style I wanted, to match the side laces. The original side laces, I felt, had too much stretch to them. The rawhide lace I used in place of it is much better, and is just a shoelace,works perfectly for what I needed.

I switched out the original belt for a thicker bull hide gun belt, which is 1/4" thick and very stiff. Just look at how thick this is!

d1accd24eb545fe08508f4595de7943e.jpg

Last edited:

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab

A couple other notes:

I requested plain antique brass snaps, not hidden snaps or snap heads with their logo on them. I think it makes it look better to be plain.

The side laces and zipper pulls are my own rawhide lace. I didn't care for the style of the laces that they provided, which looked like they were fashioned from scraps from the hude(s) used to make the body.

I switched out the original belt for a thicker bull hide gun belt, which is 1/4" thick and very stiff. Just look at how thick this is!

Is that top grain ?

edqc

New in Town

A couple other notes:

The side laces and zipper pulls are my own rawhide lace. I didn't care for the style of the laces that they provided, which looked like they were fashioned from scraps from the hide(s) used to make the body. The zipper pulls were ok, just not the style I wanted, to match the side laces. The original side laces, I felt, had too much stretch to them. The rawhide lace I used in place of it is much better, and is just a shoelace,works perfectly for what I needed.

awesome,guppy
it really looks like a armor

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I find that a lot of Schott jackets are made from a leather that to me feels thin and light. Not all, but a lot.
I agree. But I think a lot of people want it like that. A question I think should be answered is : is thicker leather better?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I agree. But I think a lot of people want it like that. A question I think should be answered is : is thicker leather better?
I feel better in thicker leather. It may be more abrasion protection than you need, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.

You really also should have armor for riding. Armor protects you against impact, leather against grinding your flesh off in a skid. Best to have both.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I also like thicker leather overall. However I have a Gibson & Barnes that's nearly too thick, if that is possible. It's 11.0 lbs with the zip in vest liner, same style as Guppy's jacket. It's almost difficult to wear, but very protective. Suit of armour comes to mind!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I also like thicker leather overall. However I have a Gibson & Barnes that's nearly too thick, if that is possible. It's 11.0 lbs with the zip in vest liner, same style as Guppy's jacket. It's almost difficult to wear, but very protective. Suit of armour comes to mind!
It's definitely possible. Once you're to a point where your movements are impeded, it's too much. That comes from thickness as well as stiffness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany