Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody Recommend a Maker: N3b Parka US Air Force?

Paden

Vendor
Nice jacktes, but they look like copys of alpha.
maybe somebody knows an supplyer of the US Air Force.
Is the jacket still in duty?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
First, yes, the Air Force still issues the N-3b. I think Propper had the most recent contract, but I am not 100% sure. Unless you really want a new jacket, might I suggest that you buy an older original? The older ones are better insulated, have real fur ruffs and are just better-constructed, IMO. And they are not very expensive.

There have been quite a few suppliers of the N-3B over the years. Albert Turner, Skyline, Southern Athletic, Greenbrier, Propper and a few others all have had contracts at various times since the late 'fifties. The older ones, such as Skyline, Turner and Southern Athletic are your best bets, I think.

Even though I live in balmy North Carolina, I have two N-3Bs. My good one is this 1964 Southern Athletic. Sadly, I only get to wear it about once a year, but it feels great when I do!

wisconsin153-2.jpg

wisconsin177.jpg

AF

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
End of season sales!

I don't know that Schott's current N3-Bs are any better than Alpha's - but there are some available for a mere $75 over on the clearance page at US Wings:

http://www.uswings.com/clearance.asp

And speaking of Alpha, the Barre Army-Navy Store has some of their N3-Bs, N2-Bs, MA-1s (only $42!), etc., on sale too:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/alpha_jacket_sale.htm

And also Fidelity and Sterlingwear peacoats at $75 and up:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/peacoat_overstock_sale.htm

Clearly, it's the end of the winter season and there are some bargains available. This is probably true at a bunch of other dealers too. (These are just ones that I've bought from in the past and visit periodically.)

ortega76

Practically Family
I have an Alpha N3B. It's lasted me several years and looks like new. I've used it as a commuter coat on public transportation, taken it on tail gates and even camping. I love my Alpha N3B.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
They are admittedly very expensive but I don’t think you can beat Buzz Rickson for quality and authenticity.

bluumax

New in Town
Alpha v Vintage (Southern Athletic)

I just bought a Southern Athletic N-3B (same as Atticus Finch pics) from the big Army Navy store in Seattle.

I could look at the vintage versus the Alpha side by side. There is no comparison.
The Southern Athletic weighs twice as much and the material is true heavyweight made to last stuff.

The vintage was $225. It's in about the best condition expected for 46yrs old.
Nothing frayed, torn or ripped. It's a lot to pay, but getting stuff on ebay can be, well....
The pockets could be blown out or who knows what else, Rat p-ss smell etc.
I'd rather pay more & know exactly what I'm buying in some cases.

I travel by buss & walk a lot so I want something dependable.
Seattle doesn't usually get really cold, but sometimes waiting an hour for a bus can get pretty damn cold! :(

I bought an assault pack there years ago for $160, worth every penny.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/cozmacozmy/surplus new/newsurplus034.jpg
I originally got a day pack from Big 5, I could hear the stitching start to rip with only a light jacket & pair of sneakers in it.
I took it back & headed for the surplus store.

Shawn.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I got an N3b from spiewalk and sons sold by USwings several years ago and its great. I have no complaints whatsoever. Tough as nails. I think I paid around $109.00, but it was a closeout as I recall.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Spiewak. Your best bet is J-Pia in Japan because today finding a USA-made N3B parka here, apart from eBay and thrift stores are non-existent. Mine even has a genuine coyote fur ruff! Vintage versions would have a wolf fur ruff. Classic N3Bs had wool insulation and batting throughout, later versions switched to polyester insulation and batting. The classic N3B parkas came with a cotton shell, the later ones were made with a nylon shell. This is a warm parka and mine is rated down to -40 below zero. And the fit is flattering and very slim!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran