Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever see a leather sweatband with an elastic portion?

MattJH

One Too Many
Example (bottom-right):

2692BlackTowncraftHat%5CBlackTowncraftHat2.jpg

I never have. Just wondering if anybody has any basic information on this technique; when it was used, why it was used, etc.

MattJH

One Too Many
Wil Tam said:
Now playing:

Off-topic, but I noticed Leonard Cohen and Neutral Milk Hotel playing during a few of your posts earlier on the week. Leonard Cohen is my all-time #1 artist ever, and I absolutely love Neutral Milk Hotel. You have good taste!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
Example (bottom-right):

2692BlackTowncraftHat%5CBlackTowncraftHat2.jpg

I never have. Just wondering if anybody has any basic information on this technique; when it was used, why it was used, etc.

Interesting that it's in a 4X Beaver with a hand felted (Cavanagh) edge, not a cheap hat. My guess is it might have been an aftermarket alteration. :)

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Haven't seen anything like that before, but I have seen a *wavy* portion of a band near the back. Kinda interesting, it was a Knox.

pauljmuk

New in Town
working in a venue that exposes you to Cohen and NMH - don't knock it - sounds cool!

Re hat - not seen one like it - though looks like something that would degrade, and certainly doesnt look to have life to match the life of the main body of the lid...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J.J. Gittes said:
Haven't seen anything like that before, but I have seen a *wavy* portion of a band near the back. Kinda interesting, it was a Knox.

I had a similar Knox in my hands today. I forget what Knox called it though.

I also have somewhere in my stash of old, poor condition hats one with the part leather/part elastic type sweatband. It was in pretty bad shape if I recall correctly.

Regards,
Tom

buler

I'll Lock Up
2 Schobles today

I was at a vintage clothing shop today that had a rack of hats. 2 were Schobles, that both had an elastic area under the back sweatband. The sweatband was "window-paned" and you could see the red elastic material under it. I had my camera with (proceeding to kick myself) and I didn't get a shot of either. I was too busy (kid in candy store) picking out 2 hats from the treasure trove. I'll go back and get picks soon.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner