Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone get their new Vanson delivered recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

New in Town
Well I came home today to find a ups notice so I'll have my jacket tomorrow. It took 7 months, curious to see how it came out.

Philalethes

A-List Customer

One of the articles in this post is very interesting. In it, the owner of Vanson is portrayed quite strongly as believing that anti-American sentiment following the invasion of Iraq had significantly hurt overseas sales. Having traveled abroad to Europe several times after the Iraq war started, I can confirm that there was a lot of anti-Bush sentiment. I wonder if indeed this did affect Vanson's sales.

I hope I am not overstepping the line by discussing politics here - if so, I will withdraw my comments. But I also wonder, if the above is true, whether Obama's election would have changed this at all. My impression is that Europe loved Obama when he was first elected - indisputably he has a different persona than Bush. However, I think it is also indisputable that current American foreign policy is very, very similar to Bush's.

In short, I am wondering a) whether American brands really took a hit after the invasion of Iraq; and b) whether, if (a) is true, this is still true today.

Again, I will withdraw my comments if they are too political or tangential.

IXL

One Too Many
Many American brands did just fine during this same time and increased their sales abroad. Funny, but to my knowledge none of the buisness' expanding abroad felt the need to bash Bush for anything...they were to busy making bank deposits, I imagine.

Other American leather clothing producers like Schott, Langlitz, Lost Worlds didn't go bankrupt over this time period, so there must have been something going on intrinsic to how Vanson was doing business at that time that pushed them over the edge.
I have to wonder if there is still something about Vanson's business model that is causing difficulties with product delivery.
I have ordered several jackts from Aero Scotland, a couple from Eastman, one from Langlitz over the past few years. In each case they were delivered within one week of the quoted arrival date.
Only with Vanson have I run into such a prolonged, open ended delay.

I hope I am not overstepping the line by discussing politics here - if so, I will withdraw my comments. But I also wonder, if the above is true, whether Obama's election would have changed this at all. My impression is that Europe loved Obama when he was first elected - indisputably he has a different persona than Bush. However, I think it is also indisputable that current American foreign policy is very, very similar to Bush's.

Similar? I'd say you'd have a tough time differentiating the two at this point.
And to be honest, if I owned an American-based business, I'd gladly give up any overseas sales to anyone that felt that way.
Let's just easily forget all WE DO for the rest of the world - they sure do it easily enough.

IMHO, nothing wrong with discussing this as part of the thread - as long as it stays civilized.

too much coffee

Practically Family
One of the articles in this post is very interesting. In it, the owner of Vanson is portrayed quite strongly as believing that anti-American sentiment following the invasion of Iraq had significantly hurt overseas sales. Having traveled abroad to Europe several times after the Iraq war started, I can confirm that there was a lot of anti-Bush sentiment. I wonder if indeed this did affect Vanson's sales.

In short, I am wondering a) whether American brands really took a hit after the invasion of Iraq; and b) whether, if (a) is true, this is still true today.

Hello Philalethes;

If the owner of Vanson is touting that the anti-American sentiment is the reason for a drop in overseas sales, he is being dillusional and not taking responsibility.
All he has to do is read this recent thread regarding the dissatisfaction by some regarding their jacket orders. Specifically, the failure to meet delivery times and his staff giving BS excuses to the clientel.

Face the music, Vanson Leathers, you're really reaching if that's your take for a reason for falling overseas sales. Look at Langlitz and Johnson Leathers......are they crying? Fox Creek Leathers, super products and great customer service; that's what it takes to remain on top of your game. Vanson farms out their stuff to some Central American sweat shop and trys to control production and fill orders from Massachusettes.

Langlitz...........on site production
Aero...............on site production
Fox Creek.......on site production.

Vanson? Used to be really good.......but as Neil Diamond once sung (duet with Barbara Streisand) "used to be's don't count anymore.."

I just get fed up with folks not taking responsibilities for their actions or inactions.

Regards, coffee

Last edited:

Johann

New in Town
Anyway....Yep the custom ENF arrived today, tag says made in USA, sleeves are 2 inches longer as requested, however they did not put zippers on the pockets which was the third item requested as custom on this jacket. So 2 out of 3. Otherwise jacket is good. I am so over this company it's not worth pursuing. Good riddance to Vanson.

Johann

New in Town
It's alright, I am done with Vanson, this is my fourth jacket from them and I knew better. I will not deal with them further. Good luck to everyone else, hope it's better for you all.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
It's alright, I am done with Vanson, this is my fourth jacket from them and I knew better. I will not deal with them further. Good luck to everyone else, hope it's better for you all.

Johann, sorry about your jacket.

I was considering an Enfield as one of my next jackets (in another year or so). However, if I decide to buy one, I am buying off the rack from one of their dealers, because, sadly enough, I cannot trust them to do any special orders.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hello Philalethes;

If the owner of Vanson is touting that the anti-American sentiment is the reason for a drop in overseas sales, he is being dillusional and not taking responsibility.
All he has to do is read this recent thread regarding the dissatisfaction by some regarding their jacket orders. Specifically, the failure to meet delivery times and his staff giving BS excuses to the clientel.

Face the music, Vanson Leathers, you're really reaching if that's your take for a reason for falling overseas sales. Look at Langlitz and Johnson Leathers......are they crying? Fox Creek Leathers, super products and great customer service; that's what it takes to remain on top of your game. Vanson farms out their stuff to some Central American sweat shop and trys to control production and fill orders from Massachusettes.

Langlitz...........on site production
Aero...............on site production
Fox Creek.......on site production.

Vanson? Used to be really good.......but as Neil Diamond once sung (duet with Barbara Streisand) "used to be's don't count anymore.."

I just get fed up with folks not taking responsibilities for their actions or inactions.

Regards, coffee

Coffee, I think you nailed it on the head. Like you and others have said: Lost Worlds, Schott, Fox Creek, Johnson Leathers, U.S. Authentic, Langlitz - at least one of these other companies should also have suffered if the problem were merely that overseas customers weren't buying. I should add that I have heard mostly good things about all of the above companies, and only (and repeatedly) good things about Langlitz, Fox Creek, and Johnson.

Capncurly

New in Town
My account was charged for the rest of my order this morning (i.e. the price of my jacket minus the deposit I put down). So, hopefully this means it's finally on its way. I'll post pics and a full review when it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt