Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a G1?

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I went on a business trip up to Manchester yesterday and went by train. Normally I go to work by car and don't really see many people! I suspect I may look like a weird starey person in these situations... really must get out more! LOL.

Well long story short, I ended up doing the usual leather jacket spotting. So there was this guy's jacket, nice leather... quite thick (might be horse), unusual cargo pockets lower corners are cut at 45¬? bevels, button through flaps (Guesses G1). Guy gets up to leave, back has bi-swing pleats and a belt along the back... (definately a G1).

I'm not sure I like it, seems a little over complicated. It wasn't helped by the fact that it was too big for the fellow and it was waaaaay too new.

Anyone have one that fits to show?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You didn't mention the fur collar, which is a defining aspect of the G-1. Without the fur collar, it's likely a non-spec G-2, or some other nonmilitary variant. And it probably wasn't made of horsehide - G-1s are traditionally made of goatskin, though the current Navy spec also allows cowhide.

I don't know what you mean by over complicated. While the G-1 is indeed a more complex jacket to put together than the A-2 - with the bi-swing belted back, shrouded zipper, stitching at the sleeve ends, inside map pocket, etc. - they are sharp-looking classics. And they are very comfortable: the bi-swing back and underarm gussets provide way more arm movement than an A-2.

While I don't have a G-1, I do have a Flight Suits Historical M-422A - a repro of a slightly different earlier form of the jacket. Here's a shot from when I first got it last year:

MSGM422A.JPG

Now mind you, I still generally prefer my A-2s... but there's no question that these Navy jackets are SWEET!

kojax

Practically Family
who is that handsome guy with that jacket........nice looking jacket i tryed to get one from flight suties the place is always busy. i will try to get one this summer when they are not to busy.........

kojax

Practically Family
jacket

nice looking jacket........someday i like to get one of this jacket.....cooper had some nice jacket like this.....they are closed now i hope they reopean.....

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I don't recall the fur collar (I thought you could spec them detachable?).

Anyway your examples fit much better than his. It may have been a modern take on the jacket (or a G2) as it was quite boxy and square. Heavier looking than your goatskin there Doc, and had waxy looking surface like an oil pull leather. I don't think it was cow.. it was very smooth.

Ok, over complicated may be overstating it. :)

kojax

Practically Family
gi--jacket

hello doctor strange.i was thinking of getting a jacke like yours do you like it it looks nice....i am a 36r in the a2 jacket would i get the same size in the gi jacket. thank you people.

theo

New in Town
G1 jacketsThey made

I have a Cooper G1 and a original. I have worn the Cooper for the last nine years, and love it . I picked up a original G1 for my wife, but unfourtunaly it was "sanatized", the label was taken out as well as the wind flap with the U.S.N. . Hers I would venture to say is pre 1960's. leather is strong in both jackets, the cuffs and waist band need to be replaced on both. Cooper closed???? I didn't know that. They made quality jackets in my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80