Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone object to info from your posts being shared?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Anyone object to Golden Era lifestyle info taken from your Lounge posts being shared informally with friends with like interests?

Info taken from your posts would be anonymous & may be very slightly reworded in "tutorial form". It would not be sold; it would be given to friends of mine with like interests, with a pointer to the Fedora Lounge URL.

The purpose of this is the very informal sharing of How-To reference info on all aspects of Golden Era living for people maybe not very familiar with it, but who might be "drawn into the Golden Era fold" :) .

Only reason I'm asking is incase some newbies take a liking, join the Lounge, post " I read in the Golden Era How To, that blah-blah-blah", someone recognizes their post, and gets mad for whatever reason (which I can't imagine)...

Thanks,
- C H

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if I've actually ever given any usable advice. But please, by all means, share the wealth. I think you're doing a great thing. The more people know about this site, the better they will dress, maybe.....

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Thanks Daisy.

To clarify: one might ask "why don't you just point interested folks to the lounge".

People I'd be sharing this info with are very non-Internet-forum-type folks. In fact, after briefly trying to talk on Usenet groups in college & being repulsed by the overwhelmingly ugly behavior, I never went on any more internet forums for years until The Lounge, because I came to assume there's mainly just "strange/scary" people on the net. :rolleyes:

Most likely, anyone interested would surely join the lounge when they see thats where probably at least half the lifestyle info will be gathered from. But trying to first interest these folks by telling them to go to a web chat room would probably get a "Yeeeeaaaah, okayyyy, right..." so that wouldn't work at all.

Let me know if objections,
- C H

magneto

Practically Family
Just my opinion, but posting one's writing on a publically viewable internet site (well I know a few forums here are member-only) implies de facto willingness of it being disseminated and read...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
scotrace said:
"Have you seen my latest Scotrace ensemble?"

Sure. G'head. Send the royalty checks to me care of Fedora Lounge.
Actually, I misspoke when I asked everyone's permission. I was reminded that ownership of information on a website usually reverts to the site's owner.

I've PM'ed MK and seeing if we can negotiate for me to share some very basic Golden Era information from posts on the Lounge with local enthusiasts, given that it would be free. It would just be a pamphlet of basic info from several sources including the Lounge to share with folks & pointers on where to go for more details, including of course, here. :) We'll see. If approved, the information would be Anonymous.

- C H

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Copyright Laws

Actually, each poster owns the copyright to what they say, unless there is a published disclaimer on the web site stating otherwise. Also, publishing something to the internet does not make it public domain as far as copyright laws. The only case where you would not need permission is in the case of "fair use."

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

If you planned to sell your pamphlet (I know you said it would be free, but for example if you had advertisers pay to be in it), or somehow profit from it, most likely it would not fall under fair use.

I think your best bet is to ask each poster; also, that poster may have borrowed copyrighted info and you would want to clarify if that's the case.

Surely, cousin, anything you share from here has entered your own knowledge base. Therefore you'd be sharing information that was originally shared willingly by the original sharer.

Anything you tell someone that you've learned here is an unknown unknown to them and a known known to you, and maybe an unknown known or known unknown to someone else.

Enough Rumsfeld speak.

bk

Copyright issues only come into play if he publishes someone elses information (word for word) in, let's say, a magazine article or pamphlet as his own novel thought - without accreditation for sources.

Accrued knowledge could hardly be considered theft. The person who originally posted that knowledge learned it from somewhere.

bk

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Copyright issues only come into play if he publishes someone elses information in, let's say, a magazine article as his own novel thought - without accreditation for sources.

bk

That's actually false, but I'll just refer you to copyright.gov for more info. It's rather complicated. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace