Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ride motorcycles?

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I ride...Legendary HH

img005.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
I used to ride a 2005 Suzuki GSXR600, but downgraded to a simple 2010 Ninja 250 when that model came out. I've had various other bikes, such as a YZ for motocross, an old Honda CBR cafe racer style, and eventually hope to get a classic styled Harley such as a Fat Boy, but for now I just put put around on my little 250.... when the battery can hold a charge (grr)....

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
I used to ride a 2005 Suzuki GSXR600, but downgraded to a simple 2010 Ninja 250 when that model came out. I've had various other bikes, such as a YZ for motocross, an old Honda CBR cafe racer style, and eventually hope to get a classic styled Harley such as a Fat Boy, but for now I just put put around on my little 250.... when the battery can hold a charge (grr)....

Go get a $20 battery tender....they're a life saver.

IXL

One Too Many
Here is what not to wear! Me, at this years OBR 9, Old Bike Ride. Yes it is cold in the mountains!
Sportster1.jpg
Sportster4.jpg
Sportster3.jpg

I wear this same style sometimes and find it to be exactly what is needed. It is quite well designed to zip-up and keep the cold out. Oh yeah, and my plug-in heated Gerbing's gear worn underneath it doesn't hurt none, neither!
My rides: H-D Road King; H-D Softail Deluxe; H-D XL1200C Sportster; H-D XR1200X Sportster; Piaggio BV250 scooter; BMW G650GS; BMW R1200GS; Yamaha TT225; and a 1980 Can Am 175cc enduro.
In truth, my wife thinks some of these are hers......

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Seeing too many jeans...you guys need some leather pants too, so that you can walk away if something bad happens. Vanson makes good ones.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I wear a two piece BKS Leather suit. It's basically this design without the chest press-studs for pinning back the collar and none of the logos. The leather is the thickest steerhide they do.

If you fall off a bike then this is what you want to be wearing. In fact, when I got knocked off in the summer (at 30 mph / 50 km/h) I didn't feel a thing.

But it's not that stylish. :D

That said, in 70% of motorcycle fatalities the rider is wearing a full set of racing leathers. So perhaps All The Gear All The Time is the wrong idea...

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I wear a two piece BKS Leather suit. It's basically this design without the chest press-studs for pinning back the collar and none of the logos. The leather is the thickest steerhide they do.

If you fall off a bike then this is what you want to be wearing. In fact, when I got knocked off in the summer (at 30 mph / 50 km/h) I didn't feel a thing.

But it's not that stylish. :D

That said, in 70% of motorcycle fatalities the rider is wearing a full set of racing leathers. So perhaps All The Gear All The Time is the wrong idea...

That sounds like a UK stat. On this side of the pond you are more likely to see t-shirt, jeans and a bandana with a belly full of Jack Daniels. Guys who have full race leathers usually wear them at track days. I commute wearing British Motorcycle Gear overpants with knee and hip pads and a bomber style leather jacket (uniform). On my days off I wear my Schott cowhide (Brando style). If it is wet out I switch to the Aerostich Falstaff. I thought I would like the waxed cotton. I don't. It is a dirt magnet. Nylon next time.

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
That sounds like a UK stat. On this side of the pond you are more likely to see t-shirt, jeans and a bandana with a belly full of Jack Daniels. Guys who have full race leathers usually wear them at track days. I commute wearing British Motorcycle Gear overpants with knee and hip pads and a bomber style leather jacket (uniform). On my days off I wear my Schott cowhide (Brando style). If it is wet out I switch to the Aerostich Falstaff. I thought I would like the waxed cotton. I don't. It is a dirt magnet. Nylon next time.

Yes you better send that Falstaff to me :). Beautiful jacket.

I'd like to post up some pics of what I currently wear.....does anyone have links on how to do that? I seem to be too stupid to figure it out.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
If you're looking for a classic jacket (which I imagine you are by asking on this site) I don't think you can go wrong with any of the following:

1. Legendary HH
2. Aero
3. Lost Worlds
4. Vanson (I'll only vouch for their Made in USA stuff)
5. Fox Creek
6. Schott 118 etc...

Magister

Familiar Face
I love the Barbour up above but the price is a bit beyond me. Instead I got a Kakadu Nelson jacket, which is a waxed cotton jacket in the same style as the Barbour International or Belstaff Trialmaster, but for less money.

I don't wear it for riding (not sufficiently protective for me), but I do wear it as a daily jacket. It certainly does keep me dry in the rain!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I like my Barbour! I was lucky and bought it before the price went up, still cheaper then Paris Hilton Belstaff jackets! In the cold weather, you will need more then just the fleece vest liner. I now have a heated jacket liner, nice and toasty down to below freezing. It really breaks up all the black leather jackets worn at most riding events. Yes, as you've seen, I do have a Brando type jacket.

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
I've been riding for the last 12 years, on what SOME claim is the world's ugliest production motorcycle.....a 1981 Yamaha XJ750 Seca.

In 39 years of riding, I've WALKED away from 3 potentially fatal motorcycle accidents.
Sure, a lot of LUCK was involved, but I've always made MY safety the #1 concern on a bike!
Except for VERY hot or wet weather, I wear a super thick-but-comfortable, 1960s Brooks Leather motorcycle jacket.
Heavy leather boots (Carolina), full face helmet (old Shoei RF-800), and the usual assortment of leather riding gloves.
I like wearing jeans while riding though, so I'm bad in that regard as far as safety.

FWIW....some of THE nicest leather motorcycle jackets that I have come across, have been manufactured in CANADA.
Brimaco, Bristol, Wolff, Dropso, and others make superb riding jackets that do NOT look like many of the cookie-cutter jackets that you find here in the US.

Have fun & ride SAFE!!
Steve

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
I've been riding for the last 12 years, on what SOME claim is the world's ugliest production motorcycle.....a 1981 Yamaha XJ750 Seca.

In 39 years of riding, I've WALKED away from 3 potentially fatal motorcycle accidents.
Sure, a lot of LUCK was involved, but I've always made MY safety the #1 concern on a bike!
Except for VERY hot or wet weather, I wear a super thick-but-comfortable, 1960s Brooks Leather motorcycle jacket.
Heavy leather boots (Carolina), full face helmet (old Shoei RF-800), and the usual assortment of leather riding gloves.
I like wearing jeans while riding though, so I'm bad in that regard as far as safety.

FWIW....some of THE nicest leather motorcycle jackets that I have come across, have been manufactured in CANADA.
Brimaco, Bristol, Wolff, Dropso, and others make superb riding jackets that do NOT look like many of the cookie-cutter jackets that you find here in the US.

Have fun & ride SAFE!!
Steve
Doesn't look like any of those make them in Horsehide? Any chance you could post some pics of your Brooks, I would love to see it?

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I have one leather jacket but often find it too hot in summer and too cold in winter. It's a real Goldilocks weather wearer. It's steer and made for biking. I've had several Aero H/H but none was ever suitable for riding as the stiffness (especially in cooler weather) along with the collar and shoulders rinding up your back (try putting your hands horizontally out .....)

I use Barbour Internationals. I have a black and a green British Army Despatch Riders suits as well as a more modern and less smelly/oily one .

Here's the green suit
IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5416-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner