Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone smoke their cheese?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have started an interesting way to treat my cheeses. Smoking cheese gives it a very good flavor. It is like making bacon from milk.
I started with homemade cheese from some rather generic tasting milk and some cheap store bought cheese. The smoked cheese gives a new dimension to a cheese plate. It is way beyond any the smoked cheeses I have bought anywhere.

It is a little tricky keeping the temp low enough to not melt the cheese but even if the cheese melts a bit it is still good.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Love smoked cheese and especially cheddar although never done it myself. Although good smoked cheese is readily available in this part of the world (Australasia).

Good job having a crack at it yourself though. Homemade is always best!

Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I t only causes birth defects if you smoke the fetus as well. I think this line of comments is taking an unsavory turn.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Love smoked cheese and especially cheddar although never done it myself. Although good smoked cheese is readily available in this part of the world (Australasia).

Good job having a crack at it yourself though. Homemade is always best!

Smoked Cheddar is divine! I love the taste. My favourite cheese. Although likewise, I've never tried smoking my own.

I likely would have swung at that fat pitch myself, had Tom not gotten here first.

Me, I've been known to tell many a joke first heard back when the Dead Sea was still sick.

The groans reverberate still.

But, back on topic ...

Among the things in which I no longer partake to the degree I once did is cheese (high-fat foods in general, alas). Hailing from Wisconsin, and descended from dairymen, this unfortunate avoidance of such wonderful things borders on blasphemy. But my physicians have convinced me that being a living blasphemer beats the alternative.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
A little cheese won't hurt you if you use it as a garnish or savory to a meal, not the meal itself. Smoked cheese is good because a little goes a long way. For example on a salad or bean dish.

My brother used to smoke fish. The oilier fish like salmon are especially good. Smoking things is not very difficult or expensive, give it a try.

I work at a cheese plant and one of the jobs there is a 'cutter.' You can believe that everytime we get new recruits, they have a field day that it's somebody's job to cut the cheese lol

I tried smoking cheese, but just kept burning my lips.

I could have made a joke about cutting it, but I refrained, because ladies do not cut cheesy comestibles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran