Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use jackets/clothing to help quit smoking?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
For those of you that have quit, have any of you treated yourself with something new as a reward for quitting? Maybe some experiences could help out fellow loungers here...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My strategy is to load up on Sun Surf Hawaiian shirts and not wear any until I have quit 100%. Those shirts are too gorgeous to have the smoke smell ruin them. I've already bought a bunch of padded hangars and plan to get a rolling rack...one shirt every three weeks or so (with the money saved).

My strategy is to load up on Sun Surf Hawaiian shirts and not wear any until I have quit 100%. Those shirts are too gorgeous to have the smoke smell ruin them. I've already bought a bunch of padded hangars and plan to get a rolling rack...one shirt every three weeks or so (with the money saved).

I went the easy way. I bought a smoking jacket. :p

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For those of you that have quit, have any of you treated yourself with something new as a reward for quitting? Maybe some experiences could help out fellow loungers here...

Just close your eyes and dream of your likely additional years of life added as the result of your discarding your little coffin nails! :thumb:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'll bet a lot of guys bought themselves a jacket as a reward for getting thin.

If anybody's interested: I quit smoking using Banaca peppermint breath spray. Every time I felt the urge, I gave myself about twenty shots and it totally broke the stimulus/response of cigarettes while giving me a buzz and a burning taste in my mouth after eating, like a cigarette. Then for about a year I used Banaca drops as a pacifier. Go ahead and laugh; but it worked.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine tried using bags of wine gums as a replacement for ciggies, but he found himself going through two of them a day, piling on the weight - they're mainly horses' hooves with a bit of fruit juice - and eventually went back to the fags after a particularly stressful day at work. I do think the jacket idea is a good one, though. Sticking a large carrot in front of you, putting the money that you'd spent on cigarettes towards your perfect hide gives you the perfect reason to stay away from them.

majormajor

One Too Many
You could always get one of those Sears & Roebuck leathers with the waterproof zip pocket to keep your cigs and matches in! :eeek::eeek:;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wish that was true. Certainly, the first few week is key, but it's when you get really stressed days in the months after that it becomes tempting to pick up a packet and, bang, you're back on them. I think you need to keep offering yourself carrots and sticks as the days, weeks and months pass.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I wish that was true. Certainly, the first few week is key, but it's when you get really stressed days in the months after that it becomes tempting to pick up a packet and, bang, you're back on them. I think you need to keep offering yourself carrots and sticks as the days, weeks and months pass.

I know I'll feel better when I do. I am actually developing a mild fear of smoke near my prized shirts. I know the health benefits are there but right now, the focus is keeping the new shirts clean. I know it's funny. When I hit the 50 shirt mark ill put some pics up. Moderators, delete my account if I don't quit.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Funny, but in a good way. I think that for many, the idea of 'health benefits' is perhaps a bit too abstract - you generally feel worse initially when you kick anything, whether it's coffee, fags, or heroin - so a target is good. Find a jacket you really fancy, work out how long it'll take you to save up using the money you'd usually throw on the coffin nails, and that'll give you a target. Off the top of my head, in Britain, if I set my heart on an Aero A-2, at four packets a week costing around £30 in total, it would take four months. That's long enough to see your habit out of the way! :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The new jacket/s will come in the future .
The current obsession are the Hawaiian shirts. I don't recommend looking for an a-2 jacket here, as most of them start at around us 1200 dollars, but this website is the new sensation for me;
http://global.rakuten.com/en/

JLStorm

Practically Family
If you weren't in CA I would tell you to get something with a shearling collar. The smell of smoke never quite comes out of shearling, so you couldnt smoke or be in a smokey place while wearing it. But, being in CA, I guess a shearling collar isnt much use.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you weren't in CA I would tell you to get something with a shearling collar. The smell of smoke never quite comes out of shearling, so you couldnt smoke or be in a smokey place while wearing it. But, being in CA, I guess a shearling collar isnt much use.

Good idea for other loungers though!

IXL

One Too Many
As for how I quit smoking, took a gentleman to lunch one day. He was around 55-60 years old. After the meal we bot started to light up as he was telling me a story, when he started hacking and wheezing; not polite little coughs, but the kind that turn ones face red, makes the eyes water, and causes one to grab the table with one hand while clutching ones chest with the other. Everyone in the place fell silent as they just stared at him.
When he was through with his "episode" he said "whew, excuse me", and then proceeded to light up as though nothing had occured as he continued on with his story. It scared the hell out of me! and I left my smokes and lighter on the table. Not a single puff have I taken in all the years afterword.
What I purchased as an incentive when I quit was a handmade Peugeot "Tour of France" model road racing bicycle, completly outfitted with Campy C-Record: it cost a fortune. I started riding hard and that seemed to do the trick, but mostly I do believe it was being "scared straight" by the incident in the restaurant.
Good luck with your plan!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
As for how I quit smoking, took a gentleman to lunch one day. He was around 55-60 years old. After the meal we bot started to light up as he was telling me a story, when he started hacking and wheezing; not polite little coughs, but the kind that turn ones face red, makes the eyes water, and causes one to grab the table with one hand while clutching ones chest with the other. Everyone in the place fell silent as they just stared at him.
When he was through with his "episode" he said "whew, excuse me", and then proceeded to light up as though nothing had occured as he continued on with his story. It scared the hell out of me! and I left my smokes and lighter on the table. Not a single puff have I taken in all the years afterword.
What I purchased as an incentive when I quit was a handmade Peugeot "Tour of France" model road racing bicycle, completly outfitted with Campy C-Record: it cost a fortune. I started riding hard and that seemed to do the trick, but mostly I do believe it was being "scared straight" by the incident in the restaurant.
Good luck with your plan!

I'm having a hard time with it so far honestly. The problem, more than any withdrawals, is wondering how you will cope long-term. I don't want to turn this into a self help thread, I like jackets more...but it is tough.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Every smoker started smoking because of a subconscious need. For most people it is a need for security. If you want to stop smoking successfully (and that means, in my book, permanently), you'll have to stop for the right reason. And that's not your health or your spouse or your children or because it's so expensive. These are good additional reasons, but they won't work unless you are really ready to quit. If you are, then your best bet is to see a good hypnotist (most aren't good), uncover the reason why you started smoking in the first place and then reprogram your subconscious mind. If done correctly you will instantly lose the urge and you become a non smoker. You also won't gain weight instead or replace smoking with any other unwanted habit (e.g. shopping frenzies).

Let me repeat this: If you don't quit for the right reason there is nothing in the world you can do to quit smoking permanently.

loosebolts

Familiar Face
i just spent 4 cartons on a jacket. i know i have a stash pack around here some where. in answer to the question, Yes i did, found a jacket. made it the goal and i bought it. i lost my dad to lung cancer last month (asbestos related.) and im making jump off the nicotine with a leather jacket as the carrot. that and a leather jacket you can use repeatedly, a smoke you can only use once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy